What happened to our baseball program?

17,615 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
Buzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Pretty sure everyone expects to be playing in a Regional in 2023 and every year after going forward.

Coaches here generally get one year to establish their culture and bring in 'their guys' before we get demanding, with the exception of football where we're always demanding.

This isn't rocket science, not sure why you need someone to explain it to you.
Wild West Pimp Style
dermdoc
AG
Nothing happened to our baseball program.

We are still here.

Where are you?

BTHO Wichita State!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggies2009
AG
Buzzy said:

Pretty sure everyone expects to be playing in a Regional in 2023 and every year after going forward.

Coaches here generally get one year to establish their culture and bring in 'their guys' before we get demanding, with the exception of football where we're always demanding.

This isn't rocket science, not sure why you need someone to explain it to you.
When do we host? When are Supers a regular thing? When do we expect Omaha? How often?

It's not "rocket science", but it's more nuanced than "Regional in 2023 and every year going forward". We fired Childress, who went to a regional every year (sans his last one, of course, when he was a "lame duck" and on his way out).

You say coaches here "generally get one year to establish their culture before we get demanding". Based on what? This is literally the second coaching change we've had in over 35 years.... Also, it's kinda funny you act like it's a generally accepted thing. You said one year. Someone else JUST said 4-5. And someone disagreed with them, saying 2-3 years. Looks like it isn't so "generally accepted".

For not being rocket science, your explanation is a very poor attempt.
dermdoc
AG
Unanswerable questions my friend
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggies2009
AG
dermdoc said:

Unanswerable questions my friend

I wouldn't have cared, but he just HAD to throw in that bit about rocket science. To me, all bets are off at that point.
Buzzy
Quote:

When do we host? When are Supers a regular thing? When do we expect Omaha? How often?

It's not "rocket science", but it's more nuanced than "Regional in 2023 and every year going forward". We fired Childress, who went to a regional every year (sans his last one, of course, when he was a "lame duck" and on his way out).

You say coaches here "generally get one year to establish their culture before we get demanding". Based on what? This is literally the second coaching change we've had in over 35 years.... Also, it's kinda funny you act like it's a generally accepted thing. You said one year. Someone else JUST said 4-5. And someone disagreed with them, saying 2-3 years. Looks like it isn't so "generally accepted".

For not being rocket science, your explanation is a very poor attempt.

Hopefully we're good enough to host in '23, if not hope we win anyway and make it to a Super.

I expect to get to Omaha at least once by '25, hope to be in position where we're regulars in Omaha going foward. I'd like to be going to Omaha at a minimum of 3 out of 5 years, or 60% of the time. Some will point out that A&M has never gone to Omaha with that kind of regularity, and I'll point out we shouldn't base our expectations on past history. We keep investing more and more money into the baseball program, no reason we shouldn't increase our expectations along with the investment. Schloss is paid $1.25 million a year to make us a regular in Omaha, he knows what the expectations are.

"Based on what?" Do you follow other sports besides baseball? You seem to be basing all of your questions on the fact that you've only seen the hirings of Johnson, Childress, and Schloss and not any other sports. Given what athletic departments pay for coaches in the three major sports and what they ask fans to pay for tickets and donations, two years is a realistic window. In the biggest sport (football), you're seeing coaches fired after not putting up the results at the 1.5 year mark, although that is the extreme, and is a good way to cripple your program in the short term.

As for people on here who say 4-5 years, I'm not anywhere near as patient as some of the posters on this board. We have some season ticket holders who are happy as long as we host a regional because they honestly only care about being able to see a winning season at Olsen and the team make the postseason, anything after that is a bonus. Since 64 teams make the postseason and I believe A&M is easily one of the top 64 teams in the nation every year just by our location and resources, I think we should expect a little more than the base minimum. I'm not going to argue with those fans or tell them their expectations are 'too low' because it counterproductive and a waste of time. We have different levels of expectations, and that's okay.

You seem to want hard timelines and I don't see why. Doesn't matter if I tell you we should be in Omaha by '25 or we should demand it, because even if I say it is expected, there isn't a damn thing we can do if they fall short.

So yeah, it isn't rocket science. Pick a year, place a goal on it, and sat that is your expectation. Sit back and see what happens.
Wild West Pimp Style
htxag09
AG
Buzzy said:

We have some season ticket holders who are happy as long as we host a regional because they honestly only care about being able to see a winning season at Olsen and the team make the postseason, anything after that is a bonus. Since 64 teams make the postseason and I believe A&M is easily one of the top 64 teams in the nation every year just by our location and resources, I think we should expect a little more than the base minimum. I'm not going to argue with those fans or tell them their expectations are 'too low' because it counterproductive and a waste of time. We have different levels of expectations, and that's okay.

Overall, I don't disagree with much of what you said. But this isn't really a relevant argument. Hosting a regional does not equate to making a postseason of 64 teams. Hosting a regional means you're in the top 16 teams who make the postseason…..

I'd also argue that the best 64 teams don't make the postseason because of automatic bids. There are 34 at large spots, if I'm not mistaken. But, either way, yes, I agree making the postseason should be the base.
TAMU1990
AG
I expect us to compete for Omaha in 2025. That would allow Scholss 3 classes that are all his. '22 will be juniors. Then I expect to be winning at a high level after 2025 most years.
Goro Majima
AG
Gap said:

What we are seeing tonight has nothing to do with Rob Childress or talent. We are seeing a team that is totally unprepared mentally and physically.

Hopefully we see a drastic change soon.
It has a little to do with Rob Childress.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Losing a tourney as an sec team in state to subpar out for state teams hurts like absolute F
FtBendTxAg
AG
I was almost going to drive 4 hours to stay with in laws in Plano for this. So glad I didn't
nereus
AG
Buzzy said:

I'd like to be going to Omaha at a minimum of 3 out of 5 years, or 60% of the time.

I guess I would like that too if we can do it, but Omaha 60% of the time is a REALLY high expectation. Vanderbilt has been the most successful program over the last 10 full seasons and they didn't make it to Omaha 60% of the time.
Sandman98
AG
nereus said:

Buzzy said:

I'd like to be going to Omaha at a minimum of 3 out of 5 years, or 60% of the time.

I guess I would like that too if we can do it, but Omaha 60% of the time is a REALLY high expectation. Vanderbilt has been the most successful program over the last 10 full seasons and they didn't make it to Omaha 60% of the time.

This. But let's just let them vent.
cheeky
AG
Enjoy any success we have this year, and put the expectations in place for next. Reading the post-game quotes by Schloss in a clear indictment on Childress. Should have fired him at least two years earlier and we wouldn't be in this cesspool now. But there will be pain in 2022.
Chester
AG
Tex100 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Geez, people

This is what happens when you let a failing coach finish his contract. It's been pointed out ad nauseam. I don't agree with Ross's approach for this very reason, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he was boxed in due to financial stress. Same thing is happening in softball

Awesome. We saved a mill or two. The cost is a depleted roster

Its gonna take a year. Just grit and bear it

This. A lame duck coach in a declining program won't be able to recruit and we are paying the price.
This is 100% correct! For all of you who were yelling for years that Childress has to be fired this is the price that has to be paid. Now shut up and let Schlossnagle build his team. Some of you are pathetic.
Chester
tjack16
AG
nereus said:

Buzzy said:

Yeah 60% of the time is insane.

I'd say my hope is every graduating class has one trip to Omaha in their 3-4 years here.

So in 20 years we have about 4-5 CWS appearances (maybe more). To me that is pretty reasonable.
djktamu
AG
The difference between 7-4 and 9-2 rests squarely on the shoulders of Joseph Menefee. Come SEC play, he should be firmly attached to the bench, unless the game is out of control one way or another. Work with him in practice, but he should not be in a tight game for a long time.

BTW, what is wrong with Jonathan Childress? Has he had a setback from his various injuries?
twk
AG
djktamu said:

The difference between 7-4 and 9-2 rests squarely on the shoulders of Joseph Menefee. Come SEC play, he should be firmly attached to the bench, unless the game is out of control one way or another. Work with him in practice, but he should not be in a tight game for a long time.

BTW, what is wrong with Jonathan Childress? Has he had a setback from his various injuries?
Menefee is run out there because the alternatives have looked even less promising. Unfortunately, I don't think the solution to our bullpen problems is simply sitting undiscovered on the bench.
dabo man
AG
I'm not expecting 60% of seasons to end at the CWS, but it would be damned nice to have a group of players who aren't there for the first time.

I *really* thought the 2012 team was going to do it, but they went cold late in Big 12 play and never got going again.
W
AG
sidenote...Schlossnagle has never had a losing season in his head coaching career.

came very close in his first season in Utah (2002) and in 2013 with the Frogs
Aggies2009
AG
W said:

sidenote...Schlossnagle has never had a losing season in his head coaching career.

This COULD be his first, but I don't know that we have THAT bad of a season ahead. We should get several wins in the next few weeks and Tuesdays. That and maybe 10-12 SEC wins will have us above .500.

Hoping the bullpen can figure SOMETHING out. Or that our hitters can stay on teams. They seem to go quiet right around the time the bullpen starts struggling. It was nice to get that run back to tie it last night, but then we gave htem the game
Aggies2009
AG
W said:

W, you would probably know more than anyone else...

It feels like this year we've walked and hit a LOT of batters. How does this year compare through 10-11 games to others?
tjack16
AG
We should win every midweek game remaining (minus Texas).

I think if we have a 4-0 week this week, and beat UH next week that will right the ship for now. Rolling into LSU at 12-4 would be awesome.
dermdoc
AG
twk said:

djktamu said:

Menefee is run out there because the alternatives have looked even less promising. Unfortunately, I don't think the solution to our bullpen problems is simply sitting undiscovered on the bench.
Agree.
jkag89
I think this Aggie team is probably better than it has shown so far but the remaining midweek contest may prove to be a little more difficult than you expect:
  • Texas St. just took a series against #11 Arizona this weekend.
  • Dallas Baptist while off to a rough start was ranked in the Top 25 of many preseason polls
  • Sam was able to defeat #6 Okie State in a midweek contest earlier this season.
greg.w.h
AG
Support the players. They play better when you do. This isn't pro baseball. Seeking to criticize them is folly. Noting things that could be issues isn't a huge deal (since our coaches probably already know.

I haven't really said this before: I like Schloss. But when the hire was announced it struck me as a politically safe hire because of his record. He has gone deeper in the CWS which was a key complaint about Childress, but five trips without an NC isn't the kind of thing that could be called a sure thing.

With that said: I think we need to fully support him for four to five years and anticipate doing so gets us at least one CWS trip within his contract.

It's the AD's job to not just negotiate contracts but watch out for appearances. I'll repeat what I've said before: 2020 was an awful time financially to incite cost. So we didn't. Childress completed his contract. Blair completed his. No is completing hers. Almost certainly driven by fiscal considerations.

If you hold that against the AD: you're dumb. Sorry to be insulting. We don't know who Bjork is yet, but assigning blame for things he isn't able to control is how you get worse.

Btw: to me he looks like a PR guy. Which isn't to say he lacks experience in the athletics side. Just that seems is go to strength. I've tried to pass along the public side of his comments. Others might have a different look they can share to correct me.
W
AG
what stands out to me thru 11 games...just 64 runs scored.

averaging less than 6 runs per game vs. the weakest part of the schedule

the on-base % is very good at .379. But the slugging is only .375

----
5 years ago A&M scored 50 runs in its opening 3-game series vs. Bowling Green. We're conditioned to generally see a lot of offense in the first month. Then the bats slow down in league play
W
AG
regarding Bjork...he's trending as the opposite of Byrne.

spending heavily on football...while tightening the belt on the Olympic / minor sports.

maybe he's right (but need better than 8-4 across the street)
AgEng06
AG
W said:

----
5 years ago A&M scored 50 runs in its opening 3-game series vs. Bowling Green. We're conditioned to generally see a lot of offense in the first month. Then the bats slow down in league play
How do our HR stats compare to previous years? I'm pretty sure we're way down in number, but not sure how much.
Aggies2009
AG
AgEng06 said:

W said:

----
How do our HR stats compare to previous years? I'm pretty sure we're way down in number, but not sure how much.
Sadly since about 2008, it feels like A&M teams haven't hit many HRs aside from 2015 and 2016 which seem to be more "lightning in a bottle" years. Part of that is the bats getting nerfed hard in 2011, but part of it was our offensive strategy under Sawyers.
TAM85
About half the players on the team are new this year. I expect to play in a regional in 2022.
85AustinAg
AG
We'll see improvement this year as the season progresses. Not only are the guys getting used to a new HC and program, Schloss is trying to figure out who can do what. We are still very much a work in progress and I expect to see more shuffling as the season continues to figure out who works best in each role. This isn't going to happen overnight.

By next year I think we'll see that we're headed in the right direction. W/L should be better but it will show up on the field while watching a game as well.

Give it some time or take 2022 off and come back next Spring.
greg.w.h
AG
W said:

regarding Bjork...he's trending as the opposite of Byrne.

spending heavily on football...while tightening the belt on the Olympic / minor sports.

maybe he's right (but need better than 8-4 across the street)
$Bill had a significant loan ($16 million from the academic side) that tied his hands because donations weren't enough. Bjork likely is not determining specific budget except among Olympics and managing personnel.

I think we need more data to know who Bjork is. The hires he's charged with have mostly made sense.
Stoopkid
AG
third deck said:

I would submit that if you listen really closely to the Schloss interviews pre-season, he consistently emphasized that the pitching depth and rotation was a big question mark on this team. He always expressed concern about this. That is all you needed to know to indicate that this would be a season of growing pains...whether you are playing in the SEC or the WCC conference, it is going to be a tough ride if the pitching is the big concern.

Pretty sure he had a TexAgs interview about a month ago where he said this year might be a bit of a rollercoaster too. Pretty clear he's not happy with the talent level he inherited and expects to take some lumps until he's able to really get rolling. I'm stoked to have him and I'm excited to watch the program rise up again over the next few years. I believe he'll take us further than we've ever been.
Buzzy
Quote:

Btw: to me he looks like a PR guy. Which isn't to say he lacks experience in the athletics side. Just that seems is go to strength. I've tried to pass along the public side of his comments. Others might have a different look they can share to correct me.
If PR is his strength, we're in trouble. His reaction to the news that texas wanted to join the SEC was laughably bad. My biggest criticism of Bjork is probably his lack of media saavy and understanding of PR.
Wild West Pimp Style

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.