What happened to our baseball program?

17,634 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
Capitol Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

Aggies2009 said:

How long do we blame Childress? He didn't get good talent here the last few years, for sure. I feel like Schloss should be able to beat Penn and WSU though. Or at least not lose THIS badly.

Schloss is thankfully getting talent to come here. Hope they pan out fast.

I mean it's not like we're in year 4 still blaming Childress. It's been three weeks.

This. At this point any questioning the coaching or leadership is beyond premature. I guess certain fans just like to have a scapegoat but there's a reason we fired RC and brought in Schloss. The good things from last night are we kept fighting. Also, this is baseball. It very likely could be a long year but just as likely this team could find itself enough to become a pretty good team. Again, the ceiling most agree on is making (not hosting) a regional. In the first year of a rebuild (look at the number of transfers if you think otherwise) that would be real success. Regardless, you give a new coach time to build his program.

Not sure why this is so hard for some of you to grasp.
tjack16
AG
I am hopeful for this year but the important thing is if Schloss can recruit offense well.

It seemed like Rob would recruit amazing pitching prospects that would leave for the draft and never make it on campus (we would lose quite a few recruits to MLB), and he recruited more for small ball.

If Schloss can recruit some SEC caliber hitters going into next year we will be great.

Today's baseball is different than 10 years ago. Elite offense is a must if you want to win big.
Capitol Ag
AG
Aggies2009 said:

htxag09 said:

Aggies2009 said:

How long do we blame Childress? He didn't get good talent here the last few years, for sure. I feel like Schloss should be able to beat Penn and WSU though. Or at least not lose THIS badly.

I mean it's not like we're in year 4 still blaming Childress. It's been three weeks.

So year 4 is the answer to my question? That's when it'll be on Schloss?

Typically, yes. Year 4 or 5 is when almost everyone on the team was recruited by the current coach. Unless there is something extremely destructive going on inside the program where a firing NEEDS to happen, it's normal to wait till year 5 to move on from a coach. Not saying certain programs don't fire earlier, but I honestly think it's better to wait outside of few outlier circumstances.
Capitol Ag
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

In Coach Childress' first year in 2006, we went 6-20-1 in conference and missed the tournament.

New additions added by 2007 included Brodie Greene, Brandon Hicks, Brian Ruggiano, Ben Feltner, Caleb Shofner, Darby Brown, and Dane Carter among others. That plus some guys who were freshmen in 06 (Colligan, Stouffer, Anders, Thebeau, Starling) ended up hosting a regional in 2007, ranked in the Top 15, and won the Big 12 Tournament.

I don't think we should have lost 2 games to Penn but...come on, give it a second.

Aggies2009
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Aggies2009 said:

htxag09 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Typically, yes. Year 4 or 5 is when almost everyone on the team was recruited by the current coach. Unless there is something extremely destructive going on inside the program where a firing NEEDS to happen, it's normal to wait till year 5 to move on from a coach. Not saying certain programs don't fire earlier, but I honestly think it's better to wait outside of few outlier circumstances.

Thanks.
sharpdressedman
Coach is sorting through a bowl of spaghetti to find the right players and combinations of same, and that takes time. We will be fine, and I believe will ascend to a higher level of achievement than in the recent history of the program.
TAM85
This is starting to look like the last couple years at TCU.
SA-AG72
AG
TAM85 said:

Comment is uncalled for.
AgsWin2011
AG
SA-AG72 said:

TAM85 said:

Comment is uncalled for.

Again, people need to quit being *****es.
jkag89
SA-AG72 said:

TAM85 said:

Comment is uncalled for.
And inaccurate. Last year TCU hosted a regional, admittedly with disappointing results but still strong enough season to be in a position to host. For the '20 season they were 11-4 when COVID shutdown everything, which is not great but not poor against a pretty strong schedule.
Frok
AG
Man I swear I just read the same thing on every board. We just need a year or two and we will be great.
twk
AG
Capitol Ag said:

htxag09 said:

Aggies2009 said:

This. At this point any questioning the coaching or leadership is beyond premature. I guess certain fans just like to have a scapegoat but there's a reason we fired RC and brought in Schloss. The good things from last night are we kept fighting. Also, this is baseball. It very likely could be a long year but just as likely this team could find itself enough to become a pretty good team. Again, the ceiling most agree on is making (not hosting) a regional. In the first year of a rebuild (look at the number of transfers if you think otherwise) that would be real success. Regardless, you give a new coach time to build his program.

Not sure why this is so hard for some of you to grasp.
Good post.

There is no reason to get down on the new staff just because the team is off to a rough start. We made a change for a reason.

How is it that we go from week one, where so many folks were talking about how many awesome changes they saw in the coaching to Schlossnagle being a bum 3 weeks latter? The truth is that talent wins; coaching only helps at the margins. Childress was fired because he wasn't bringing in enough talent to win. It's going to take a year or two to fix that
twk
AG
tjack16 said:

I am hopeful for this year but the important thing is if Schloss can recruit offense well.

It seemed like Rob would recruit amazing pitching prospects that would leave for the draft and never make it on campus (we would lose quite a few recruits to MLB), and he recruited more for small ball.

If Schloss can recruit some SEC caliber hitters going into next year we will be great.

Today's baseball is different than 10 years ago. Elite offense is a must if you want to win big.
Rob recruited some very good pitching talent and made some of them great. That was his strength, development of pitchers. I don't think his pitcher recruiting was necessarily elite, he just made the most of it. We need someone who will bring in elite talent and then coach them up a little. Hopefully, Schlossnagle is that guy.
htxag09
AG
Frok said:

Man I swear I just read the same thing on every board. We just need a year or two and we will be great.

Sure. And baseball is obviously in the exact same situation as basketball, which is in the same position as football.
Captain Pablo
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Aggies2009 said:

htxag09 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Oh hell no

You do not need to wait until after year 5. That's ridiculous

If the program is failing after year 4, it's time to move on

In a really bad case, if after year 3 an A&M coach hasn't made a regional, it'd be time to go. You don't have to wait until every single player from the previous coach is gone to know what you have

I think we'll have a good idea of what we have at the end of year 2, certainly by the end of year 3

That we lost to Penn is an indicator of just how bad of shape this program was in. But it doesn't take a great coach 5 years to build it back
Captain Pablo
AG
htxag09 said:

Frok said:

Sure. And baseball is obviously in the exact same situation as basketball, which is in the same position as football.

Correct. Baseball is in a FAR better situation than basketball
TAM85
Year Overall. Conference
2021. 41-19. 17-7
2020. 11-4. 0-0
2019. 34-28. 11-13
2018. 33-23. 10-13

Conference record from 2018 through 2021: 38-34.
tjack16
AG
Agreed on the Rob recruiting with pitching. He brought in big talent and made less talent look stable. One of the big issues is sometimes our pitching would seem to vanish in big games.

Off the top of my head recently I could say The Louisville game in Omaha, nine run first inning against Indiana, bullpen implosion at Minute Maid in 2017. And I'm sure there are many more instances where talented guys just got absolutely lit up when we needed them the most.

Not sure if that was coaching, or just coincidental. I'm hoping this new coaching staff will have the right mix of recruiting and developing to perform in big games.
SchizoAg
AG
Heismenberg said:

I'm usually one to bash coaches too, but not in this case. We know Schloss is a good coach or at least better than what we had before because he beat us every year.
Sorry, but no. Those were by razor-thin margins, and aided by homefield advantage due to preferential seeding (remember Eric Hyman?). If a couple of balls had bounced differently, Childress would be the one with more CWS trips. Head-to-head is not enough data to compare the two coaches.

However, based on their resumes, it does seem a pretty safe bet that our assistant coaches are better than Childress ever had.
SchizoAg
AG
Frok said:

Implying what? We should fire coaches after 3 weeks on the job?
SchizoAg
AG
twk said:

tjack16 said:

Rob recruited some very good pitching talent and made some of them great. That was his strength, development of pitchers. I don't think his pitcher recruiting was necessarily elite, he just made the most of it. We need someone who will bring in elite talent and then coach them up a little. Hopefully, Schlossnagle is that guy.
I'm hoping that NIL will make college baseball at least a little more attractive for elite prospects vs. toiling in obscurity in the minor leagues.
Aggieangler93
AG
I find it interesting that we are still blaming Childress. LoL
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AgsWin2011
AG
SchizoAg said:

Heismenberg said:

I'm usually one to bash coaches too, but not in this case. We know Schloss is a good coach or at least better than what we had before because he beat us every year.
Sorry, but no. Those were by razor-thin margins, and aided by homefield advantage due to preferential seeding (remember Eric Hyman?). If a couple of balls had bounced differently, Childress would be the one with more CWS trips. Head-to-head is not enough data to compare the two coaches.

However, based on their resumes, it does seem a pretty safe bet that our assistant coaches are better than Childress ever had.

I didn't know barely winning didn't count as a win. I'm sorry, but who won the series every time? Schloss. And he won with less. TCU should never compete with A&M in baseball.
W
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

In Coach Childress' first year in 2006, we went 6-20-1 in conference and missed the tournament.

New additions added by 2007 included Brodie Greene, Brandon Hicks, Brian Ruggiano, Ben Feltner, Caleb Shofner, Darby Brown, and Dane Carter among others. That plus some guys who were freshmen in 06 (Colligan, Stouffer, Anders, Thebeau, Starling) ended up hosting a regional in 2007, ranked in the Top 15, and won the Big 12 Tournament.

I don't think we should have lost 2 games to Penn but...come on, give it a second.
a few notes...since we'll probably be coming back to this...

Stouffer played on MJ's 2005 team -- just got a handful of at-bats. He was 2nd team All-American in 2007.

I believe Colligan signed with MJ in November 2004
aggiepaintrain
AG
I am far more confident in our current coach than our prior one.

Patience.
txag72
AG
I swear half of Texags posters only come on here to post "fire the coach" or some variation thereof.
Buzzy
txag72 said:

I swear half of Texags posters only come on here to post "fire the coach" or some variation thereof.
You're not wrong.
Wild West Pimp Style
DuncanLEO
Only a handful of CWS wins ever…Magic is a win over tu in the 80s…we should have a great program but don't.

We got the right guy now, give it some time.
Frok
AG
SchizoAg said:

Frok said:

Implying what? We should fire coaches after 3 weeks on the job?

No, implying that Aggies always think we are on the verge of greatness…….
Aggies2009
AG
Heismenberg said:

SchizoAg said:

Heismenberg said:

I didn't know barely winning didn't count as a win. I'm sorry, but who won the series every time? Schloss. And he won with less. TCU should never compete with A&M in baseball.

Um, you know that public schools are limited by scholarships where private schools could give a lot more "aide" right?
GoodAg21
DuncanLEO said:

Only a handful of CWS wins ever…Magic is a win over tu in the 80s…we should have a great program but don't.

We got the right guy now, give it some time.

Seems to be. Recruiting is 70% of the factor in college sports. Schloss is getting the guys.
Tex100
AG
Aggies2009 said:

MAROON said:

Seriously?!? How long?!? We are literally not 1/8 of a season after Rob left. Sometimes I can't believe the **** I read on TexAgs

So… how long? One full recruiting cycle of 4 years? 3 years?

I clearly said Childress left nothing for Schloss. What part of that didn't you understand?
if you realize our roster was depleted, why are you asking the question?
Tex100
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Geez, people

This is what happens when you let a failing coach finish his contract. It's been pointed out ad nauseam. I don't agree with Ross's approach for this very reason, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he was boxed in due to financial stress. Same thing is happening in softball

Awesome. We saved a mill or two. The cost is a depleted roster

Its gonna take a year. Just grit and bear it

This. A lame duck coach in a declining program won't be able to recruit and we are paying the price.
Aggie1188
if it makes you feel any better, the softball team is even worse.
Aggies2009
AG
Tex100 said:

Aggies2009 said:

MAROON said:

Seriously?!? How long?!? We are literally not 1/8 of a season after Rob left. Sometimes I can't believe the **** I read on TexAgs

So… how long? One full recruiting cycle of 4 years? 3 years?

I clearly said Childress left nothing for Schloss. What part of that didn't you understand?
if you realize our roster was depleted, why are you asking the question?

I'm wondering how long it takes to build it back up.

Will this current awesome class Schloss has do the trick? Will it take 2? 4? Seems pretty straightforward of a question….

This is only the second coaching change we've had in most of our times following Aggie baseball. Childress did poorly his first season (I'm not writing this season off yet- I think with Werner back and a guy or two stepping up that we can be competitive). His second we hosted a regional. But he was left some decent talent that panned out. Schloss wasn't left said talent. So this is unfamiliar territory for a lot of us and I'm wondering how most people are viewing it. The paranoia here is absolutely hilarious.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.