What happened to our baseball program?

17,656 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
Hungry Ojos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aren't we at least supposed to be decent? Good Lord this is awful. We don't do anything well (hitting the least of which). Is it the new coach? No decent players? Everyone super young?
SchizoAg
AG
We fired our coach last year. HTH.
Gap
AG
What we are seeing tonight has nothing to do with Rob Childress or talent. We are seeing a team that is totally unprepared mentally and physically.

Hopefully we see a drastic change soon.
GoodAg21
This is pretty bad. SEC play is gonna be rough. Meanwhile tu went from last in the big 12 to #1 in a couple years. It's like football or college sports in general. Get the talent. It's all recruiting.
Sananag
This is sad, now I wish I hadn't paid for a subscription to espn plus. This unwatchable.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Gap said:

What we are seeing tonight has nothing to do with Rob Childress or talent. We are seeing a team that is totally unprepared mentally and physically.

Nothing??? I mean, he did recruit the majority of this team.
W
AG
MJ left Childress 6 or 7 really nice players and incoming signees...

but Childress, woof...it was last one out...turn off the lights
Gap
AG
A very small number of our guys are playing anywhere close to their potential. Our talent isn't close to this bad.
Sananag
Another year of not being able to hit the ball.
Stone44
AG
Does Penn even give athletic scholarships?
chick79
AG
No
Stone44
AG
What position does he play?
SandmanAg
AG
Stone44 said:

Ohh, you are sooooo getting busted.. no more Facebook or Twitter for you..
Martin Cash
AG
Good lord.

Drama queens.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
HoustonAg2106
AG
bb94 said:

Stone44 said:

Ohh, you are sooooo getting busted.. no more Facebook or Twitter for you..
Boozer92
AG
Lack of hitting effects that 8 spot in the 4th how?
Aggies2009
AG
How long do we blame Childress? He didn't get good talent here the last few years, for sure. I feel like Schloss should be able to beat Penn and WSU though. Or at least not lose THIS badly.

Schloss is thankfully getting talent to come here. Hope they pan out fast.
htxag09
AG
Aggies2009 said:

How long do we blame Childress? He didn't get good talent here the last few years, for sure. I feel like Schloss should be able to beat Penn and WSU though. Or at least not lose THIS badly.

I mean it's not like we're in year 4 still blaming Childress. It's been three weeks.
HoustonAg2106
AG
htxag09 said:

Aggies2009 said:

I mean it's not like we're in year 4 still blaming Childress. It's been three weeks.
Exactly. He tried to bridge the talent gap with transfers, but this is going to be a long year because Schloss did not inherit an SEC caliber team. I can understand the frustration with losing a series to Penn and a game to Wazzu tonight because there is no way they are a better team than us just based on their baseball programs, but this is not surprising. Let him get a full recruiting cycle in before freaking out though.

I said it on another thread, Brian Kelly and LSU have the best transfer class in football also because that's what he had to do to put together a competitive roster, they are going to experience very similar growing pains until they get into a full year recruiting groove.
MAROON
AG
Seriously?!? How long?!? We are literally not 1/8 of a season after Rob left. Sometimes I can't believe the **** I read on TexAgs
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Aggies2009
AG
htxag09 said:

Aggies2009 said:

So year 4 is the answer to my question? That's when it'll be on Schloss?
Aggies2009
AG
MAROON said:

Seriously?!? How long?!? We are literally not 1/8 of a season after Rob left. Sometimes I can't believe the **** I read on TexAgs

So… how long? One full recruiting cycle of 4 years? 3 years?

I clearly said Childress left nothing for Schloss. What part of that didn't you understand?
Captain Pablo
AG
Geez, people

This is what happens when you let a failing coach finish his contract. It's been pointed out ad nauseam. I don't agree with Ross's approach for this very reason, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he was boxed in due to financial stress. Same thing is happening in softball

Awesome. We saved a mill or two. The cost is a depleted roster

Its gonna take a year. Just grit and bear it
Aggies2009
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Geez, people

This is what happens when you let a failing coach finish his contract. It's been pointed out ad nauseam. I don't agree with Ross's approach for this very reason, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he was boxed in due to financial stress. Same thing is happening in softball

Right on!

The recruits we're getting are studs. Buzz hasn't been able to recruit well which is why our basketball team is still struggling. Schloss is recruiting well.
Captain Pablo
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Geez, people

Right on!

The recruits we're getting are studs. Buzz hasn't been able to recruit well which is why our basketball team is still struggling. Schloss is recruiting well.

Yup

Schloss is bringing in a Jimbo type class

HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggies2009 said:

htxag09 said:

Aggies2009 said:

So year 4 is the answer to my question? That's when it'll be on Schloss?
The answer is to not act like this year is on Schloss, if you don't understand that then go to sleep
Gap
AG
We will get better. Schloss is the right guy.

That doesn't mean we aren't playing horribly now and below where we should be.

Hopefully, the worst is behind us and we start playing better tomorrow.
jkag89
At least a contributing factor to the Ags poor start this spring.
greg.w.h
AG
We changed coaches. We now have to let him sift the roster and see who will and either won't or can't step up. Schloss is excited to be here and there is little doubt he wants to pair his past record with a school that will do the right things to help him recruit and develop players.

If he was the wrong guy, then we will know in three years of his rumored seven-year contract.

I'll note: disagreeing with the avoidance of spend when the school has struggled financially in the academic side and was advanced money to meet budgets on the athletic side suggests you are living in a dream with Katy Perry called Candyland. Blink twice and notice what the reality actually is.

We have seen this sane reaction in every hire we have made lately. Unless the success is immediate sustained, and includes national championship contention, everyone wants to turn over coaches.

If you really want to be that school, maybe stopping continually fussing about pricing is a good start.
AgsWin2011
AG
Good lord what a bunch of pansies on here. Did y'all really expect us to be amazing this year? We were terrible last year with a coach who knew he was going to be fired unless he made it to Omaha. And for some reason we held on to him 2-3 years too long. That 2-3 years is going to take some recovery time. And it won't be fixed in 2-3 series.

We had terrible talent last year, I don't know why y'all expected it to be better in the first ten games under a new coach.

I'm usually one to bash coaches too, but not in this case. We know Schloss is a good coach or at least better than what we had before because he beat us every year.

Let's give him a year or two before we push him off the cliff.

Man some of y'all are unrealistic. Stop being such *****es.
Chester
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Gap said:

Nothing??? I mean, he did recruit the majority of this team.
Chester
third deck
AG
I would submit that if you listen really closely to the Schloss interviews pre-season, he consistently emphasized that the pitching depth and rotation was a big question mark on this team. He always expressed concern about this. That is all you needed to know to indicate that this would be a season of growing pains...whether you are playing in the SEC or the WCC conference, it is going to be a tough ride if the pitching is the big concern.
third deck
AG
nm
TMF
AG
We have a good coach. Give him more than just a week or even 1 season.
Lance Uppercut
AG
In Coach Childress' first year in 2006, we went 6-20-1 in conference and missed the tournament.

New additions added by 2007 included Brodie Greene, Brandon Hicks, Brian Ruggiano, Ben Feltner, Caleb Shofner, Darby Brown, and Dane Carter among others. That plus some guys who were freshmen in 06 (Colligan, Stouffer, Anders, Thebeau, Starling) ended up hosting a regional in 2007, ranked in the Top 15, and won the Big 12 Tournament.

I don't think we should have lost 2 games to Penn but...come on, give it a second.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.