$800,000 a year

4,498 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agfan2332
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert Alexander Childress is the head baseball coach of the Texas A&M Aggies Baseball Team since 2006.

15 years and still here? Why?
Sananag
Yep
Rule#2
AG
Because he's good at his job
It's your duty as an American to own a gun...and know how to use it.
Jock 07
AG
Rule#2 said:

12thMan9
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Robert Alexander Childress is the head baseball coach of the Texas A&M Aggies Baseball Team since 2006.

15 years and still here? Why?
Because he needs 5 more years to tie Johnson's futility.
Ronnie '88
GEA89
AG
Rule#2 said:

Year 16 and has yet to win a game in Omaha. Not sure we define "good at his job' the same
Luke The Drifter
AG
Rule#2 said:

Maybe so, but I want a coach who's GREAT at his job.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Tibbers
To me, he's more of a pitching coach than anything else. I'm not really sure who is out there coaching wise, but it really is amazing that he's been able to stick around for as long as he has. Kudos to the guy, but yeah, come on, I think we've seen what Childress can do. Guy just can't recruit and when he does get top talent, we don't make it to Omaha.

It's time guys...the only top talent it seems has been pitching...probably because he's a pitching coach masquerading as a Head coach. See if he'll take a pay cut and get someone else at the helm or suffer the bleed out of baseball.
Wooahhhh
AG
because you're not in charge, apparently
jkag89
GEA89 said:

Rule#2 said:

Year 16 and has yet to win a game in Omaha. Not sure we define "good at his job' the same
Would your opinion of RC be one iota better with everything else being exactly the same except that the Ags won a game in one of its two trips to Omaha during his tenure?

IMO coaches that make it to Omaha are generally pretty good at their job. On the other hand, it is more than fair to expect more from our coaching staff and demand change when even lofty expectations have not been met after an adequate period of time.

Not looking forward to an entire season of these types of threads. On the other hand, any Fightin' Aggie Baseball even one filled with weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth is infinitely better than another spring without any Aggie baseball.
Leander - Ag
AG
Great coaches deliver immediately (jimbo)
jkag89
Leander - Ag said:

Great coaches deliver immediately (jimbo)
Saw this exact same argument on this board with Sumlin back in the Spring of 2013.
Mr. Ectomy
AG
We made a $75M commitment to football, and it is starting to pay off after three years.

We made a solid hire in Buzz, and I believe in a couple of years, he'll have Men's BKB rolling.

We need a similar seachange in baseball and softball - two of the most stagnant programs at A&M.
TEXAS
AGGIES
-----------------------------
National Champions
1917, 1919, 1927, 1939
MadDog73
AG
Top 25 Winningest Head Coaches in Division I Baseball (baseballamerica.com)

Coaching Confidential: Which College Baseball Assistant Coach Will Make The Best Head Coach? (baseballamerica.com)

2021 College Baseball Coaching Carousel: Sizing Up The Market (baseballamerica.com)
jkag89
Point you are trying to make with this link?
MadDog73
AG
jkag89 said:

Point you are trying to make with this link?
Just looking at what's out there if we don't retain Rob. And agree with your earlier post. Just happy to be playing baseball.
jkag89
The coaches in the first link have all been a head coach longer than RC (some far longer). Most on that list I do not want (or at least not an upgrade) and the two or three I would be excited about, we haven't a realistic chance at getting in the Maroon & White.
threeanout
AG
Our option this year was to pay him $800,000 not to coach. That would sting too.
SABUILDERAG
Jake Gautreau. Recruiting Coordinator. Hitting coach. Mississippi State. Yes, please.
BCSWguru
hire this guy...

Luke The Drifter
AG
And therein lies the rub. It is highly unlikely we can money-whip an established, championship caliber coach to come to A&M. Not because we don't have the resources to do it and not because it wouldn't be a great opportunity, but just because that sort of thing doesn't really happen in college baseball. The A-Level coaches establish themselves as a winner and they stay where they are...just the nature of the game.

Are A&M fans (and big-money donors) going to be happy with parting ways with Childress...a coach who had never been a head coach before but went to a regional every year...and replacing him with a assistant who has never been a head coach before? Is that really an upgrade? Seems like the risk would outweigh the reward.

This is just tough because coaches really don't make big moves in college baseball. Baylor's coach came from Pepperdine, Tech's coach came from Oregon State, LSU's coach came from Notre Dame...so it can certainly happen. But if we're going to poach a head coach, who do we get?

This guy is interesting, but I have no idea if he'd leave the west coast.
Andrew Checketts - UCSB

Or this guy...
Dan Heefner - DBU

This guy might not be awful.
Randy Mazey - WVU

Former assistant at LSU, Vandy, and Ole Miss, so he knows the SEC
Cliff Godwin - ECU
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
jkag89
LSCSN said:

hire this guy...

Mississippi St. threw all kinds of money at Schoss and although he was tempted in the long run he stayed in Fort Worth.
Jock 07
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Are A&M fans (and big-money donors) going to be happy with parting ways with Childress...a coach who had never been a head coach before but went to a regional every year...and replacing him with a assistant who has never been a head coach before? Is that really an upgrade? Seems like the risk would outweigh the reward.

To quote a lyrical genius

" But what would you be if you didn't even try
You have to try"

I don't think the majority of baseball fans are content with merely going to a regional every year. As has been stated multiple times, Childress is a known commodity who's been given more than enough time and resources to prove himself. He hasn't so it's time to try with someone else.

It really is this simple.
Farmer1906
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

And therein lies the rub. It is highly unlikely we can money-whip an established, championship caliber coach to come to A&M. Not because we don't have the resources to do it and not because it wouldn't be a great opportunity, but just because that sort of thing doesn't really happen in college baseball. The A-Level coaches establish themselves as a winner and they stay where they are...just the nature of the game.

This is just tough because coaches really don't make big moves in college baseball. Baylor's coach came from Pepperdine, Tech's coach came from Oregon State, LSU's coach came from Notre Dame...so it can certainly happen. But if we're going to poach a head coach, who do we get?

This guy is interesting, but I have no idea if he'd leave the west coast.
Andrew Checketts - UCSB

Or this guy...
Dan Heefner - DBU

This guy might not be awful.
Randy Mazey - WVU

Former assistant at LSU, Vandy, and Ole Miss, so he knows the SEC
Cliff Godwin - ECU
This!

A few names I would add.

Jeff Mercer - Indiana
Greg Lovelady - UCF
Erik Bakich - Michigan
Matt Deggs - Louisiana
twk
AG
If you're looking for an up and comer with head coaching experience at the P5 level, and would like some SEC and Texas recruiting experience thrown in to the mix, this would be the guy: Tony Vitello The guy from Michigan would also be interesting.

I don't think Schlossnagle, or the other guys that might be viewed as clear upgrades, are moving. One thing people saying make the change and worry about a replacement later are forgetting is that Bjork doesn't have do it that way--if he's on the fence, he can put out some feelers to see what the prospects are for landing these kinds of guys--in fact, he probably already has done that over the years.
2020P.O.
Anyone have his winning percentage in comparison with our former head coaches........???

Speculating some - but He has been one the most consistent and more successful coaches in the schools history. Which is a problem, obviously. Giving him credit, he consistently puts good- not great - teams on the field. Obviously has been hard to run someone off with that history.

Unfortunately for him.....a rebuilding year coinciding with a contract ending with 15+ year history of good but not great results is going to be a huge obstacle for him. I really hope he can pull a rabbit out of the hat this year.
agfan2332
IMO if you're replacing Rob, it needs to be a guy with strong Texas ties. Getting a big name is great, but you need someone that coaches across the state will push their kids to.

What Heefner has done at DBU is absolutely incredible and he would be my first call.

I like the above list of names, but I would probably scratch Mazey's name off the list. What he's done at WVU making them a preseason Top 15 team is stellar, especially with what he has to deal with up there. But I don't see him leaving that job for anywhere because he was born in PA and that's a place he can keep building with little to no pressure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.