Coaches List

5,770 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chrundle the Great
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Early list of who you'd like to see considered once this season is over?
Chrundle the Great
AG
Nick Saban
AggieBand2004
AG
Miller Huggins
Sparky Anderson
Morris Buttermaker
ftworthag02
AG
Schloss. I know he would never come here
Floorguy
Mitch Thompson
Alpha Texan
AG
Floorguy said:

Mitch Thompson
That's a no for me, dog.

edit because I realize I should probably add to that. Had a brother and some friends play for the guy. Great manager, great baseball mind, PHENOMENAL talent evaluator, but not a great guy to have as your coach. Just took the fun out of it. One of the guys hit .305 his first year, and .377 his second year with a very healthy dose of home runs and had several university's licking their chops for him to transfer but he just turned it down and went back to mending fences, baling hay, and feeding cows back home since playing for MT took the fun out of baseball. The other guys appreciated their time playing there but felt like they just lost some love for the game.
jkag89
nortex97 said:

That the Aggies have a strong enough season in that we want to retain RC. That will be my answer til the season is over.
Alpha Texan
AG
For starters, while I'm not particularly optimistic about this season and don't think that RC is going to find that "it" factor after almost 2 decades, I still think we can make this a salvageable season. My fear is that we slowly decline and miss the postseason a couple years and hurt our recruiting. I'm a big fan of bringing in the new coach before the program is sunk.

Wanna go to the bank and try to draw someone from a place they love?
Dan McDonnell- Lousville
Schloss - TCU
Josh Holiday- Ok St

Wanna pay a little less and see how they do at a bigger school?
Dan Heefner- DBU
Cliff Godwin- ECU

Want someone who does more with less?
Chris Pollard- Duke

I must admit, while Mcdonnell posts great records every year, his postseason resume isn't much hotter than RC's. I'd give Heefner the nod. Interested to hear the other ideas.
AggieBand2004
AG
Not Holliday.
Not just no but HELL no.
Ag 11
AG
Wally Backman
jkag89
Quote:

Dan McDonnell- Lousville
Been to Omaha five times under McDonnell with only two victories in those trips and one was against a RC lead Aggie team so that one really doesn't count.
AggieBiker
AG
Alpha Texan said:

For starters, while I'm not particularly optimistic about this season and don't think that RC is going to find that "it" factor after almost 2 decades, I still think we can make this a salvageable season. My fear is that we slowly decline and miss the postseason a couple years and hurt our recruiting. I'm a big fan of bringing in the new coach before the program is sunk.

Wanna go to the bank and try to draw someone from a place they love?
Dan McDonnell- Lousville
Schloss - TCU
Josh Holiday- Ok St

Wanna pay a little less and see how they do at a bigger school?
Dan Heefner- DBU
Cliff Godwin- ECU

Want someone who does more with less?
Chris Pollard- Duke

I must admit, while Mcdonnell posts great records every year, his postseason resume isn't much hotter than RC's. I'd give Heefner the nod. Interested to hear the other ideas.
Heefner would be my choice as well. He does more with less and recruits broadly. However, money and opportunity may not be enough to lure him. He is strongly dedicated to God, family and job and in that order. He has several young children and DBU allows and encourages his dedication to his faith and family in a unique way. He may not leave there for anywhere at this point in his life, but I would certainly reach out to him.
Alpha Texan
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Dan McDonnell- Lousville
Been to Omaha five times under McDonnell with only two victories in those trips and one was against a RC lead Aggie team so that one really doesn't count.
yeah... that's what i was mentioning at the end of the post, and it's what pushes me away from him.
JDay
Said it last year in this same conversation and he has not done anything to change my mind. If the Aggies make a change, they need to take a serious look at Tony Vitello. Elite recruiter for TCU and Arkansas, won 40 games at Tennessee in his second season and got to the regional championship game in Chapel Hill.
MaroonStain
AG
I think our next coach is coaching in the 1st base box.
jkag89
MaroonStain said:

Not if this is RC's last season at Olsen. As much as I love Penny, I would not be happy with this choice since he has no track record as a coach at any level.
Capitol Ag
AG
jkag89 said:

nortex97 said:

That the Aggies have a strong enough season in that we want to retain RC. That will be my answer til the season is over.
A million times this. EOT
twk
AG
MaroonStain said:

He came back as a student assistant to finish his degree. Until he does that, he's not even an option.
Floorguy
Alpha Texan said:

Floorguy said:

Mitch Thompson
That's a no for me, dog.

edit because I realize I should probably add to that. Had a brother and some friends play for the guy. Great manager, great baseball mind, PHENOMENAL talent evaluator, but not a great guy to have as your coach. Just took the fun out of it. One of the guys hit .305 his first year, and .377 his second year with a very healthy dose of home runs and had several university's licking their chops for him to transfer but he just turned it down and went back to mending fences, baling hay, and feeding cows back home since playing for MT took the fun out of baseball. The other guys appreciated their time playing there but felt like they just lost some love for the game.

I definitely understand that side of the deal. My son played Juco ball, and was recruited by Mitch. Man, it's just a tough life in Juco. They practice and play soooo much baseball. Burnout and injuries are pretty common. Most of those coaches are not the most fun people to be around. Ha!! I always thought he was professional, a great recruiter, and an exceptional coach. I know he turned down UTSA this year. I'm still surprised he hasn't landed a bigger job. He was at Baylor when they were good, and MCC can play with anyone. Tadlock was a very similar type hire for Tech.
skins74
AG
A. J. Hinch!! If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying!!!
canaAg12
AG
I have heard the same thing from some guys that have played there, and some of them turned it in despite having pretty solid years under him.
nortex97
AG
Heefner and Godwin seem like good options of the above. I'd be excited about either.

In the 'not ready quite yet but interesting' category Rick McCarty down at ACU seems to be doing well.

Within Texas, Scott Malone down at CC seems to be doing pretty well overall. Older coach now, but they do well with limited resources (beat sips last year also).

My guess is, however, that Ags will pull from outside of Texas ranks.
DGAG92
AG
John Byington......he knows how to win.
Agsncws
AG
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
Alpha Texan
AG
Floorguy said:

Alpha Texan said:

Floorguy said:

Mitch Thompson
That's a no for me, dog.

I definitely understand that side of the deal. My son played Juco ball, and was recruited by Mitch. Man, it's just a tough life in Juco. They practice and play soooo much baseball. Burnout and injuries are pretty common. Most of those coaches are not the most fun people to be around. Ha!! I always thought he was professional, a great recruiter, and an exceptional coach. I know he turned down UTSA this year. I'm still surprised he hasn't landed a bigger job. He was at Baylor when they were good, and MCC can play with anyone. Tadlock was a very similar type hire for Tech.
Had no idea he turned down UTSA! He must have his eye on something big time. I know they've lost a few assistant coaches since people I know played their 2 years and left, but when I was watching, they were beating up on Baylor and really could hang with several of the D-1 schools around the state.

I wonder if enough cash could lure Tadlock away from his alma mater.
iluvpoker
Same strategy we used to hire Jimbo. Go after
Kevin O'Sullivan
Brian O'Connor
Tim Corbin
John Savage
nortex97
AG
iluvpoker said:

Same strategy we used to hire Jimbo. Go after
Kevin O'Sullivan
Brian O'Connor
Tim Corbin
John Savage
I just don't think in baseball you need the top 4 guys or whatever from other schools. It's a bit different from the 85 man roster enormous-budget top-20 football programs, where, to cut into the top 10, you basically have to recruit and develop at that level for a 5-10 year period.

Yes, recruiting is similarly complex (or even more so given the MLB draft) but I don't see a need to pay one of those guys a guaranteed 10 year deal (or whatever period) at top dollar to take over in June.
jja79
AG
MaroonStain said:

That would be the most Aggie thing to do.
JohnnieBB
AG
As far as getting Tim Tadlock away from Tech, I think it is highly unlikely! He is an outstanding coach and knows how to recruit and treat his players with respect. My son played for him at Grayson and he and I both loved him. He was inducted in the HOF at Grayson last fall and my son and I both attended. Still a wonderful guy to be around plus, look at his record. Starting his 8th year and been to CWS 4 times.

I would love to have him here but, here is his contract he signed in 2018:

"Tadlock, who took the Red Raiders to the College World Series for the third time in five years, will receive a seven-year, $7 million deal that pays him $300,000 in base salary and $700,000 in rights fees each year of the contract. The agreement runs through Aug. 31, 2025.

He owns a collegiate career record of 720-279 in 16 years as a head coach with nine seasons at Grayson County College (435-127) and seven at Texas Tech (285-152).

Anyway, enough of Tim. We need to get back to business and win games.

Some of my observations on our team:

1) Why are we not swinging at first pitch strikes down the middle?
2) Need to be better at bunting.
3) Defense is way below average (.970) ours is .957! Need to work on.
4) Batting average is .298 which I am okay with but, with SEC pitching in the horizon it will drop.
5) Pitching with Lacy, excellent, Roa needs to not get behind early in count, Sunday, up in air need to find someone quick.

I was sorry to see Trevor leave last night. Hopefully he will be okay. First think I thought of was Tommy John surgery where you lose him for a year. Trevor throws strikes and that is what i like about him. If he returns I would consider him our closer.
Kozmozag
Tadlock is the answer, need to do Jackie deal, give him a deal he can't refuse.
Great2BeAnAGGIE
AG
Anyone other then RC.
At least I might believe all the hype before the season begins.
Austin Ag
AG
After 14 seasons of Rob Childress baseball we have:
577-304-3 (0.655)
312-180-3 (0.512) Conf

2 Conf Coach of the Year

6 Conference Championships
13 Regional Appearances (Consecutive)
6 Super Region Appearances
2 CWS Appearances

Vanderbuitl was here after 14 yeasosn wiht Tim Corbin
610-290-1 (0.668)
243-172-1 (0.586) Conf

2 Conf coach of the Year

4 Conference Championships
12 Regional Appearances (Consecutive)
6 Super Region Appearances
3 CWS Appearances
1 CWS Championship

Are we really that far away? I don't know. Hope to find out this year.
iluvpoker
Rob has 2 conference titles. Tim has 4 CWS Appearances and 2 national championships. Vandy had made the playoffs only 3 times in school history before Tim took over.

If we are going to have a good discussion then we have to avoid bad data. And cherrypicking stats.
OKCAGS
Not getting Tads . Move on to other choices . If you cannot get a big name ...... go get Heefner at Dallas Baptist and give him 5 years .
Austin Ag
AG
FYI. The comparison I provided is based on the first 14 years of each HC
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.