The 1993 team. Who remembers?

1,799 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by MB19
AgE2theBONE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've still got a week before we get things rolling, and I'm on day 5 of a hospital stay that resulted from cellulitis infection getting to my bloodstream.

Which means that, in addition to the antibiotics, the IV is delivering the happy juice, as well.

So I thought I'd reminisce and see what memories some of you may have about our 1993 baseball team.

I'll start with my sincere belief that we were the nation's best team--or at the very least in a very small group of that year's elite squads. I've long since forgotten any stats but I feel like we were remarkably consistent in all phases of the game.

Quick note for you Ags who are too young to have been around for that team: We won the SWC, and then won our 6-team regional at Olsen Field. Back then, there were eight regionals with 6 teams each, double elimination, regional winners made up 8 team bracket in Omaha. We won our opening game in Omaha against Kansas, and in game 2 our starting pitcher Trey Moore left the game with a 7-2 lead. At which point we fell apart, losing 13-8 and then got eliminated in next game.

My favorite memory: The left handed weekend lineup of Jeff Granger, Trey Moore, and Kelly Wunsch.

Granger had an All American season, and Saturday starter Moore went 10-0 for the year. Wunsch was tall, long, and wild.

The tu series was in Austin, A&M had won first two games. On Sunday afternoon, Wunsch delivered a pitch right between the shoulder blades of Longhorn great Brooks Kieschnick, which caused a eerie silence to descend over the field as Brooks threw his bat 30 yards, and then talked non-stop **** to Wunsch from 1st- and then 2nd-base. The coolest part was Wunsch's reaction when Kieschnick threw the bat and started running his mouth. Wunsch gave him a bona-fide "Come at me Bro!" from the mound.

Random memory: In the regional final, North Carolina had a big dude named Cookie Massey who became an absolute crowd favorite. He got the biggest ovation of all the players when the all tournament team was announced.

Painful memory: We had that CWS under control when Trey left the ballgame against a terrific LSU team, and I was feeling supremely confident we were gonna win a national championship. Then some errors happened, and then Todd Walker launched a grand slam.

'93 was probably my favorite Aggie baseball season (yes, even more than '89). We had a great roster and team that played really well together, with some fantastic pitching.

I'd love to hear your memories of that season.

Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Put that pitching staff with the '89 offense and we might not lose a game that season
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree.

Cookie Massey also came out of the dugout in the ninth and tipped his cap to the fans. Great times. And yes, that team was good enough to win the NC. As was 1989 and 2016.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgE2theBONE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Put that pitching staff with the '89 offense and we might not lose a game that season
Man, you ain't kidding.

I do believe, however, that the '99 team had better numbers at the plate, surprising though that may be.

Some stats, maybe slugging?, might've been skewed by Daylan Holt's 34 home runs.

Did I get his name right? Been a long time.
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of my all time favorite memories from the 93 season was during the regional tourney. A group of us were playing wiffle ball in Elsie Duncan Olsen Grove Park behind the RVs, before one of the loser's bracket games and Trey Moore stopped by and asked if he could join our game. We said yes and Trey asked if he could pitch. I was batting and Trey grooved one right down the middle and I teed off on it. Trey gets the ball back and then he says to me "You KNOW what's coming, don't you "? I said " yeah, you're going to hit me with the pitch." Trey shook his head yes and said "you're right" and then he did. I didn't try to get out of the way because I thought " it's a wiffle ball, it won't hurt. I was wrong. I had a wiifle ball sized bruise on my left side as a reminder of just how competitive Trey Moore was and how much he disliked it if someone took him deep.

As the earlier poster said, if we would have had the 93 pitching with the 89 offense, we would have been unbeatable.
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgE2theBONE said:



The tu series was in Austin, A&M had won first two games.




Friday game was in CS, Ags won 6-2 to clinch the SWC title.


Made the trip up to Omaha that year to watch the Ags.
Todd Walker hit grand slam to propel LSU to the win in the 2nd game

Another memory that year was from the regional.
Couple of rain delays on 1st day during the earlier games pushed the Ags- Yale game back to late start.. after 11pm.
Sold out crowd stayed around past 2am at Olsen to watch the Ags won 13-1.

I loved the old regional format of 6 team regionals. Really good baseball.
In 1993 we had A&M, North Carolina, UCLA, Hawaii , Lamar, Yale.. good weekend of baseball

Off topic but the 1998 regional ( last year of the old format) at Olsen was a really entertaining weekend.. A&M, Rice, Mississippi State, Washington, Oral Roberts, UNC Charlotte
JPB1991
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1993 was my first trip to Omaha. Great season by a terrific team. Top seed in Omaha. I remember Jeff Granger with 21 K game against Lubbock Christian. Tough loss to LSU in CWS winner bracket. Disappointing end but great Omaha memories.
rockwalltxag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"One cookie monster, two cookie monster" and then he proceeded to hit a bomb! That was a great Regional and season.
Boozer87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
During the North Carolina game, the Ags were up big and UNC was on their 4th or 5th pitcher when the crowd started chanting, "Let Cookie pitch. Let Cookie pitch". That's when he came out and tipped his hat. A great way to cap off a very fun regional.
AgE2theBONE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie said:

AgE2theBONE said:



The tu series was in Austin, A&M had won first two games.




Friday game was in CS, Ags won 6-2 to clinch the SWC title.


Made the trip up to Omaha that year to watch the Ags.
Todd Walker hit grand slam to propel LSU to the win in the 2nd game

Another memory that year was from the regional.
Couple of rain delays on 1st day during the earlier games pushed the Ags- Yale game back to late start.. after 11pm.
Sold out crowd stayed around past 2am at Olsen to watch the Ags won 13-1.

I loved the old regional format of 6 team regionals. Really good baseball.
In 1993 we had A&M, North Carolina, UCLA, Hawaii , Lamar, Yale.. good weekend of baseball

Off topic but the 1998 regional ( last year of the old format) at Olsen was a really entertaining weekend.. A&M, Rice, Mississippi State, Washington, Oral Roberts, UNC Charlotte
That regional final against MSU was one of the most frustrating games I've watched A&M play. We made it obvious we were taking the first pitch every time and State punished us for it. Kept us behind in the count the entire night.

On the other side, State players weren't just crowding the plate they were all over it, and we never made any effort to back 'em up.

There were so many regional finals in MJ's tenure. We could've had half a dozen or more trips to Omaha, but just couldn't make it happen except for '93 and '99.

And we damn near missed it against Clemson in 99. That 9th inning was cathartic.
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Correction on your memory of CWS, When Trey Moore cam out the game was 7-6. Only two of the runs were earned but game was 7-6 when he exited.

A&M took early lead 2-0, LSU ties it up 2-2. Top of fifth Aggies scores 5 and led 7-2 but bottom of fifth LSU scored 4.

Trey came out in the 6th.
Mookie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let cookie pitch! Let cookie pitch!
Capitol Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie12B said:

One of my all time favorite memories from the 93 season was during the regional tourney. A group of us were playing wiffle ball in Elsie Duncan Olsen Grove Park behind the RVs, before one of the loser's bracket games and Trey Moore stopped by and asked if he could join our game. We said yes and Trey asked if he could pitch. I was batting and Trey grooved one right down the middle and I teed off on it. Trey gets the ball back and then he says to me "You KNOW what's coming, don't you "? I said " yeah, you're going to hit me with the pitch." Trey shook his head yes and said "you're right" and then he did. I didn't try to get out of the way because I thought " it's a wiffle ball, it won't hurt. I was wrong. I had a wiifle ball sized bruise on my left side as a reminder of just how competitive Trey Moore was and how much he disliked it if someone took him deep.

As the earlier poster said, if we would have had the 93 pitching with the 89 offense, we would have been unbeatable.
Awesome!

Reminds me of a time in 92 a few days before A&M was to travel to Ft. Worth to play TCU. Quinton Coryatt was walking by as a bunch of us were playing a pick up football game and asked if he could join. Well, I was able to catch a pass and Q was only running half speed and I was actually pretty fast and passed him up and scored. I talked a little trash to him just for fun, and he just looked at me and said a similar thing as Moore said to you, but with maybe a few expletives added. Anyway, on the next play, since the middle had been open a lot that day, I decided to run a crossing pattern over the middle and was wide open when all of the sudden....I don't remember anything after that honestly and once my jaw healed after a few weeks, I was able to eat solid food again.

Who am I kidding, that really never happened. If it had, I'd be dead and wouldn't be here today!
AgE2theBONE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Correction on your memory of CWS, When Trey Moore cam out the game was 7-6. Only two of the runs were earned but game was 7-6 when he exited.

A&M took early lead 2-0, LSU ties it up 2-2. Top of fifth Aggies scores 5 and led 7-2 but bottom of fifth LSU scored 4.

Trey came out in the 6th.
My memory has definitely edited some stuff over the years.

Regarding the super regional game 3 against Clemson in '99, I'd somehow gotten it into my head that Fossum didn't enter the game until the bottom of the 9th, after we'd taken the lead in the top half. Would've bet my life that was what happened. Then I saw a video of that game, and I was like, "That didn't happen!"

Thanks for your correction. I clearly remembered being up 7-2, I guess I'd just thought that was when Trey left the game.
threeanout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I recall our first game against Yale starting sometime around 11:00 pm. Granger was throwing in front of the Aggie dugout. There were three or four guys who I believe he played football with, and who had been hitting the beer pretty hard during the rain delay. They had Jeff laughing so hard he couldn't warm up. Great weekend.
AgE2theBONE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
threeanout said:

I recall our first game against Yale starting sometime around 11:00 pm. Granger was throwing in front of the Aggie dugout. There were three or four guys who I believe he played football with, and who had been hitting the beer pretty hard during the rain delay. They had Jeff laughing so hard he couldn't warm up. Great weekend.
Yeah that delay was pretty brutal.

Never anticipated I'd be watching a game at Olsen in the wee hours of the morning.

Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I loved watching Granger at Kyle and Olsen. These are some fun memories.

I wish we would have made the NC happen that year.....
GIG 'EM - Class of '93
Dad of Class of '22
wadd96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Hawai'i witch... Oootah Chu!

Wunsch smashing a quarter hot dog night dog with a Fungo (game started off in the 70's and by end of the first inning, it was in the 40's and blowing hard from the north... most folks left and they started giving away all the dogs...)

Stair races with Scott Wilson (sip who drove the burnt orange Caddy with trunk full of Busch Light.)

Cookie Massey. Enough said.

Granger's 21 K's against Lubbock Christian.
"ISIS targeting the U.S. military is like a sheep targeting a lion." - Sgt. Dakota Meyer
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tuesday night DH against Mary Hardin Baylor. 7 inning first game, and we're stinking up the place, down 7-2 heading to the bottom of the 7th. You know, take your lumps, get your head on straight, and salvage the split. But not this team. Lewis led off the 7th with a double, and I think the next 5 or so batters reached. I think the first out was recorded on a sac fly to win the game.

46-7 regular season, 53-11 after Omaha.

Rob Harris going deep off Kieschnik to seal the conference title at Olsen.
MB19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That 1993 regional was a blast. My dad and I went to our game vs UCLA. After listening to the Raggies, he said, little wonder you were out here late the other night (for the Yale game). By comparison we had no damn business losing the two games we did to Mississippi State in 1998. We were our own worst enemy vs them.

I loved the old six team format.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.