Brauny or any other experienced coach or Dad.

9,003 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JohnnieBB
Agz96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have two sons, 10 & 15. My 15 year old started play rec ball at 8 and started playing select at 11 in 6th grade. He learned and developed a ton on that select team. We decided to allow him to play year round in 7th grade, previous concussion issues since he couldn't play football. He still played basketball and pole vaulted in track. It worked out good for him so far. He started on varsity as a freshman at 2nd, and some smaller D1 schools have shown interest.

My 10 year old has wanted to play select for the last two years, and we will look into it in Jr High.

I think that 12-14 is a good time to begin to take it more serious. Baseball is a skill sport, they have to be willing to work. If you have to push them or drag them to practice, I would keep them at area level. I found a team that focused on teaching the game and reps. If they have the ability and desire to play after high school, then it would be worth letting him play on a showcase team. My son wasn't ready for a showcase team this summer.

Just my experience and options.
0302 Marine
I have 3 sons (19, 18 and 7), all played baseball or is playing baseball and I have coached rec, select, and currently coaching high school. To go select or not go select 2 simple question needs to be asked. Ask your son what he wants to get out of baseball. And does your son eat, drink, and breath baseball? The question will probably all have similar answers, play MLB. However if the second question is no then I would stick with rec ball for a few more years. In other words, am I feeding the animal known as my son or am I feeding the Animal of Mom and Dad?
The advice on when to get a kid into select given hear on this board is pretty spot on. Somewhere around 12 give or take a few years. It really depends of your kid and his love of the game. All three of my kids were different.
As a coach I say play every sport you have time and money for. You find that your son will be a better all around athlete. I can not think of any sport that does not translate to another sport and make the athlete better. As someone early said if the coach does not want them playing other sports runaway as fast as possible.
If your looking for advice of which program to play with the first thing that comes to my mind is find a coach who has a passion for taking young boys and making them great brothers, son's, and teammates first. That is why I coach, and in my humble opinion is the only reason why someone should coach. Second thing I would look for is a coach that passionately respects and loves the game. Without that passionate respect of the game and love of the game the coach will not very effective in teaching the game which in turn will not effect your sons respect and love of the game This will directly impact your sons baseball IQ. This brings me to my next point, find a coach who teaches the game. All to often I see kids come try out for our program who have low baseball IQ's.This is a killer. Low baseball IQ means the player will not be confident, play the game passionately, develop work ethic,, or resist failure (baseball is game of resistance to failure). When I look for a program these things are non negotiable. I evaluate this by showing up at perspective teams practices and games and watch from afar where they have no idea who I am or what I am doing. Can be difficult as a high school coach. I do this so I can evaluate the things mentioned above, but it also allows me to evaluate practice organization as well as how they execute their plans, and are the players engaged, learning and getting better. I might do this two or three times for teams that are making the cut. Its difficult to do due to time, however, it is better to know before you start to pay. Hope this helps,
Aggieangler93
AG
When you do go select, the advice others have given here is sound. There are a lot of teams out there right now, willing to take your money. There aren't a lot willing to work hard to teach your player to get better. I would guess the ratio of what I have seen is about 5 teams of money takers that talk really big for every 1 team that has a really great coach who can get through to the kids. Part of the problem is, some of the best coaches I know, couldn't run a business to save their life. Some of these guys also have no business coaching children. I wouldn't want my Mom around them, much less my kids.

If you get on a team, and your kid actually gains skills during the season, I consider that a huge success.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
gigemhilo
AG
AggieBill005 said:

RGLAG85 said:

ta93e said:

And not for nothing, the best all around players in high school end up in right field. It's a tough sell to the young kids (I remember well) but there are 3 OF positions and just the 1 kid who gets to play SS.
Most everything you said was correct but I'm just trying to make sure what you're saying here is what you believe?

I absolutely believe it. Any player who is good at their position is JUST as valuable as any other player, save maybe for pitching.

I remember watching Cory Patton when I was in school. Guy had a CANNON and it really limited what other teams were able to do on the base paths --- he played right field. It really wasnt until watching him that I appreciated that outfielders could absolutely be weapons too.
My kid is 14u and has played first for many years because of his size - and he is a dang good first baseman.

This last year his coach switched him to right and center (mostly right) and told me this is where he will end up in High School and beyond. Turns out, he is a dang good right fielder as well!

It has taken a while for my wife to come around to the idea. She viewed it as a demotion and struggles when the now first-basemen make mistakes. But the kid is fast and has a cannon. Why waste that at first?

Point - right field may be where you send kids to pick flowers in tball, but it is one of the most important positions starting around 12u or 13u. Dont be afraid to develop an outfielder.

gigemhilo
AG
To the OP-

Travel ball can teach a kid a lot when they are young, but they will be able to catch up 12-14u. 14u and beyond is when it matters as far as being caught up with the kids around them. Dont be afraid to let them be kids and play whatever they want. Play baseball? Sure! If travel is your only way, then go for it. But its is not the end if they are not playing travel at 7u.

Mine play basketball and baseball. We try to build in breaks. My oldest literally gets asked everyweekend, so we have to say no a lot.

Let them be kids and have a life other than baseball. If it includes baseball, then great!
JohnnieBB
AG
0302 Marine,

You are correct in your assessment about baseball and the love of it for kids.

I have two sons that played in all facets of the game: t-ball, coach pitch, little league, pony, high school, college and the minor leagues. My younger one made it to the minors for 5 years (AAA).
I was fortunate to coach them every summer through high school. As per UIL rules their high school coach could not coach their players during the summer so that was my job. When my younger son got to high school I then coached the HS varsity team in the summer. I called them a select team. I had no other players from other schools on the team. I kept them together all four years. Because of that during my sons senior year they won the 4A State Championship in 2001. I give them all the credit for working hard, loving the game and putting in the time during practice. P;us we had great parents who not only support the program but allowed me to coach their sons without interference. My younger son went on to play JUCO and then for a pretty good team in Austin (sorry) in 2004 and 2005. They won the National Championship in 2005.
I know I'm bragging on my son but, don't all dad's like to brag on their sons or daughters?

As Marine said, and which I totally agree, "As a coach I say play every sport you have time and money for. You find that your son will be a better all around athlete. I can not think of any sport that does not translate to another sport and make the athlete better." Both of my son's played soccer and football.

Best of luck to all your sons in the future no matter what sport they play. Just be dedicated and let them have fun and enjoy the relationships they create.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.