Foster Transferring

16,908 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAGGIEinAR
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

The rules of transfer have been relaxed to the point that most players don't have to sit in the non revenue sports because the schools grant the waivers typically now. Much more than 5 years ago.

They should soften transfer rules. It's ridiculous to force a player with a 30% schollie to sit out a year.
greg.w.h
AG
I think intercollegiate athletics are more interesting as we watch transfers switch teams. I would be hard-pressed to demonstrate the product on the field has declined.

Being able to compete under new coaches to get a fresh look (admittedly due to the investment of time of the previous coaches) should make the competition for positions more lively. The only thing missing largely was ephemeral in college baseball: the concept that you have a student for three years. There are so many ways to escape to the pros that almost every single baseball player who successfully enrolls in college can use. Another year of seasoning under the requirement of attending classes is almost certainly beneficial to the student that enrolls with the athlete.

And being engaged on the field also typically doesn't hurt in the classroom particularly if the coach teaches "process" and demands academic success.
LOYAL AG
AG
BoozingAg said:

LOYAL AG said:

W said:

TMartin said:

This whole conversation is about Foster's regression at the plate. How did Foster rate as a five tool player?
in 2018 he was pretty close to a 3-tool player. Hit for power, average, and plus-throwing arm. Posted a .924 OPS.

in 2019 he was a 1-tool player. Just the outfield arm. Posted a feeble .719 OPS.

that reflects very, very poorly on the coaching staff to have a player drop 200 points in OPS from his sophomore year to junior year
This sounds more like an agenda than a well thought out take. More than once we heard Johnson, who had a consistent record of developing hitters, say that if you're a junior and still a guess hitter that's on you. Some guys just don't see the ball well. Generally speaking there's a reason position players go to college. You hope they learn to recognize a slider and a curve and to keep their weight back so that when they get fooled by a change they can still get good contact but it doesn't always happen. For Foster it didn't happen.

It all falls at the feet of the coaches. They recruit and then are supposed to develop players, and our HC is paid nearly a million $ a year to do that. To act like it's just some random thing with no accountability, both with the coach and player, is ridiculous. Given the way our offense has regressed since 2016, it's fair to place most of that accountability on the coaching staff.
You have such a black and white perspective on these things that you're really difficult to debate with but here we go. There's only so much a coach can do and I think you way overestimate what a college hitting coach can accomplish. A college coaches job is to recruit the most talented players he can get to campus and implement a system. I'm in no way saying that the system we've implemented on offense is good, I'm saying that the things you think a coach can teach are probably more innate or learned via experience than by coaching. Let me be that dad for a minute:

When my son was 11 he played 12U ball in New Braunfels. We had a game where he went 3-3 and his team managed four hits total (including his three) in 5.1 innings against a 12 yo opposing pitcher. The kid was throwing A LOT of curves and nobody but Kyle could figure it out. I asked him after the game why he was so much better than his teammates and he spent the next 20 minutes telling me how this kid threw a fastball, a little league curve and a regular curve. I asked about the difference between the two curves and he explained that for this kid the LL curve broke later and was really only a loop while the regular curve broke in front of the plate and had a sharper break. I asked how he knew the difference and he explained to me the difference in the pitchers hand as he gripped the ball. So at 11 my son could see the pitchers hand and read the difference in two grips to know how much break he was going to see while nobody else had a clue what was going on. Three of his teammates played college baseball at some level.

My point is not to brag on my kid it's to say that he saw it and processed it naturally while the overwhelming majority of hitters cannot do that, particularly at the college level. They say you can't teach speed. Well IMO you also can't teach pitch recognition or hand-eye coordination. The reason Shewmake was a better hitter than Foster is because he has better hand-eye coordination. He was baffled by the same pitches Foster was. The expectation is that with experience at a given level a guy learns to read the rotation of a ball and learn that a red dot means breaking ball and that he can see all of that fast enough to lay off. When that evolution doesn't happen I'm not sure there's anything a coach can do about it. If he hasn't figured it out by his junior year when he's had 400+ plate appearances I just don't think he's going to get it.

I say all of that to say this. There are a lot of flaws in the baseball program and I've been very clear that I'm ready for a change. But pitch recognition or lack thereof isn't something I'm going to spend a lot of effort laying at the feet of the coaches. It's a skill and I'm 100% certain we are doing what we can to teach it but that doesn't mean the guys being taught are capable of learning it. The flaws I lay at the coaches feet are recruiting, S&C and the system being implemented. They have 100% control over those things and aside from pitching they've failed at them. This junior class was recruited on the heels of #MASHU which is pretty shocking. There are more misses than hits among the position players and that's a recruiting problem.
Hop
Staff
AG
I think people also need to realize just how little time these baseball coaches have for individual development. There's development time in the fall and early spring, but that time pales in comparison to how much development time these players have spent with their personal swing coaches through the years. These guys play more games on their summer teams than they do in the college season. It isn't just the college coach developing/teaching these players.
BoozingAg
LOYAL AG said:

BoozingAg said:

LOYAL AG said:

W said:

TMartin said:

This whole conversation is about Foster's regression at the plate. How did Foster rate as a five tool player?
in 2018 he was pretty close to a 3-tool player. Hit for power, average, and plus-throwing arm. Posted a .924 OPS.

in 2019 he was a 1-tool player. Just the outfield arm. Posted a feeble .719 OPS.

that reflects very, very poorly on the coaching staff to have a player drop 200 points in OPS from his sophomore year to junior year
This sounds more like an agenda than a well thought out take. More than once we heard Johnson, who had a consistent record of developing hitters, say that if you're a junior and still a guess hitter that's on you. Some guys just don't see the ball well. Generally speaking there's a reason position players go to college. You hope they learn to recognize a slider and a curve and to keep their weight back so that when they get fooled by a change they can still get good contact but it doesn't always happen. For Foster it didn't happen.

It all falls at the feet of the coaches. They recruit and then are supposed to develop players, and our HC is paid nearly a million $ a year to do that. To act like it's just some random thing with no accountability, both with the coach and player, is ridiculous. Given the way our offense has regressed since 2016, it's fair to place most of that accountability on the coaching staff.
You have such a black and white perspective on these things that you're really difficult to debate with but here we go. There's only so much a coach can do and I think you way overestimate what a college hitting coach can accomplish. A college coaches job is to recruit the most talented players he can get to campus and implement a system. I'm in no way saying that the system we've implemented on offense is good, I'm saying that the things you think a coach can teach are probably more innate or learned via experience than by coaching. Let me be that dad for a minute:

When my son was 11 he played 12U ball in New Braunfels. We had a game where he went 3-3 and his team managed four hits total (including his three) in 5.1 innings against a 12 yo opposing pitcher. The kid was throwing A LOT of curves and nobody but Kyle could figure it out. I asked him after the game why he was so much better than his teammates and he spent the next 20 minutes telling me how this kid threw a fastball, a little league curve and a regular curve. I asked about the difference between the two curves and he explained that for this kid the LL curve broke later and was really only a loop while the regular curve broke in front of the plate and had a sharper break. I asked how he knew the difference and he explained to me the difference in the pitchers hand as he gripped the ball. So at 11 my son could see the pitchers hand and read the difference in two grips to know how much break he was going to see while nobody else had a clue what was going on. Three of his teammates played college baseball at some level.

My point is not to brag on my kid it's to say that he saw it and processed it naturally while the overwhelming majority of hitters cannot do that, particularly at the college level. They say you can't teach speed. Well IMO you also can't teach pitch recognition or hand-eye coordination. The reason Shewmake was a better hitter than Foster is because he has better hand-eye coordination. He was baffled by the same pitches Foster was. The expectation is that with experience at a given level a guy learns to read the rotation of a ball and learn that a red dot means breaking ball and that he can see all of that fast enough to lay off. When that evolution doesn't happen I'm not sure there's anything a coach can do about it. If he hasn't figured it out by his junior year when he's had 400+ plate appearances I just don't think he's going to get it.

I say all of that to say this. There are a lot of flaws in the baseball program and I've been very clear that I'm ready for a change. But pitch recognition or lack thereof isn't something I'm going to spend a lot of effort laying at the feet of the coaches. It's a skill and I'm 100% certain we are doing what we can to teach it but that doesn't mean the guys being taught are capable of learning it. The flaws I lay at the coaches feet are recruiting, S&C and the system being implemented. They have 100% control over those things and aside from pitching they've failed at them. This junior class was recruited on the heels of #MASHU which is pretty shocking. There are more misses than hits among the position players and that's a recruiting problem.

I don't disagree with any of this, I just have a hard time equating Foster's falloff to his own shortcomings or pitch recognition when something like 250 teams had a better batting average than we did. And maybe recruiting Nebraska isn't a good strategy.

If we were talking about a team that put up decent offensive #'s, I wouldn't make this point and would be in 100% agreement with you on Foster.
LOYAL AG
AG
BoozingAg said:

LOYAL AG said:

BoozingAg said:

LOYAL AG said:

W said:

TMartin said:

I don't disagree with any of this, I just have a hard time equating Foster's falloff to his own shortcomings or pitch recognition when something like 250 teams had a better batting average than we did. And maybe recruiting Nebraska isn't a good strategy.

If we were talking about a team that put up decent offensive #'s, I wouldn't make this point and would be in 100% agreement with you on Foster.

Fair enough. I don't mean to suggest the coaches have no responsibility for the fall off in his numbers either.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

And maybe recruiting Nebraska isn't a good strategy.
You are telling me Nebraska isn't the hotbed of baseball talent like California or the South?
Lemmys Rickenbacker
powerbelly said:

Quote:

You are telling me Nebraska isn't the hotbed of baseball talent like California or the South?
Well hold on because we have some JUCO guys coming in originally from Nebraska.
jkag89
Quote:

Because Kyle Simonds, Michael Helman and Nolan Hoffman were complete bust. These are the three Nebraskans other than Foster I can recall during RC's tenure, if there were others they played little or no role in their time at A&M.
Lance Uppercut
AG
The Nebraska player thing continues to be one of the most ridiculous things that's somehow repeated on this board.

Helman had the best average on the team

Hoffman was one of our best relievers in years

Foster was the team leader in home runs last season despite an injury shortened season, and despite last season, was far from the biggest issue with the lineup

If we followed this line of logic, we'd only recruit Nebraska and quit recruiting Texas
powerbelly
AG
Or, you know, recruit better players from Texas.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Quote:

If we followed this line of logic, we'd only recruit Nebraska and quit recruiting Texas
Please tell me the number of Nebraska players are on any of the eight teams in the current CWS, and also the total number of Texans, it will not be even sorta close!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
BoozingAg
Well if you're looking for ready made hitters that can read pitches, wouldn't you want to recruit from the highest competition level high schools and JUCO? Those aren't in Nebraska. We've had some decent players from there but it's not like we are loading up on all conference players. I'd also venture a guess we spend more time recruiting Nebraska than the rest of the SEC combined
jkag89
Mark Fairchild said:

Quote:

Please tell me the number of Nebraska players are on any of the eight teams in the current CWS, and also the total number of Texans, it will not be even sorta close!
Which is most certainly true but the few players Rob brought to A&M were certainly not bust.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Some people try really hard not to understand.

Hoffman had an ERA under 2.

Helman hit .369

Foster was one of our better sluggers each year he was here

Simonds had an ERA around 2.5 both seasons, winning 11 games and throwing a no hitter in 2016

There hasn't been a single scholarship wasted among that group, and they have on average been some of the better players on their teams....and most put up numbers that would be impressive on any team.

Yet we still have people parroting "when will dumb dumb Childress figure out Nebraska is a waste of time!?!?" It would boggle my mind if I hadn't come to fully expect it.
Chester
Great stuff and 100% true!
Chester
BoozingAg
I don't really think the issue in people's mind is getting players from Nebraska. I think it's when we are getting beat by teams with a bunch of players from the Houston and DFW areas, or even BCS, combined with the rumors we read about RC's reputation among some players, parents, HS coaches. And really, with the amount of players in proximity to CS, recruiting Nebraska is a head scratcher, regardless of how they turned out.
greg.w.h
AG
BoozingAg said:

I don't really think the issue in people's mind is getting players from Nebraska. I think it's when we are getting beat by teams with a bunch of players from the Houston and DFW areas, or even BCS, combined with the rumors we read about RC's reputation among some players, parents, HS coaches. And really, with the amount of players in proximity to CS, recruiting Nebraska is a head scratcher, regardless of how they turned out.

I simply dismiss rumors until someone man's up and puts his name on the line.

If you can't recruit Texas then you need to be able to recruit California or Florida. No way the talent pool in the Midwest is deep enough.

But I'm patient. We will see how the new AD interacts with his coaches this year and how he changes coaches next summer. If he can find other ways to get Rob more suppprt and more success, I will be overjoyed by at least a supers series and preferably an Omaha trip. We should still have the pitching. Just need to figure out offense and work a bit more on fielding (not that it's suspect, but trading out a tallstop for a shorter one probably changes the dynamic a bit.
Foxo
AG
Is there a baseball transfer portal that the public can view?
TexAg91
AG
Aggies2009
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Quote:

You mean a state with 30 million people put more players in the CWS than a state with 2 million? Say it ain't so!
Foxo
AG
texag0928 said:

djktamu said:

He regressed this year, after two solid seasons, yet he may be following the hitting coach. Maybe Lance Harvell is a wonder worker. Still, if the kid is that homesick, can't fight that. Good luck with Bolt, Logan.

Justin Seely is the hitting coach, my friend.
No matter. Aggie baseball fans are equal opportunity coach haters.
BoozingAg
Aggies2009 said:

Mark Fairchild said:

Quote:

You mean a state with 30 million people put more players in the CWS than a state with 2 million? Say it ain't so!

If there are zero players from Nebraska in the CWS, what difference does it make how many people are in Nebraska?
Aggies2009
AG
You'll all be super happy to hear that Shewmake's replacement is a guy from Lincoln, Nebraska named Logan Sartori. He's done pretty well with the Brazos Valley Bombers this summer and is transferring to A&M from Hutchinson CC where he averaged .325 and hit 13 HR last season. Of course, we all know pitching in the SEC is much much more stiff.
BoozingAg
Rob sure seems to spend a lot of time in Nebraska, except when we want him to be
Tex100
AG
TexAg91 said:

Sandman98
AG
BoozingAg said:

Rob sure seems to spend a lot of time in Nebraska, except when we want him to be

Still not bored with yourself I see. Seriously. Even the most rabid fan who is disappointed with a coach isn't this persistent. What's the back story? Did he cut you? Nobody despises ANYBODY this much, especially someone who coaches kids in the entertainment business. If it's not personal you're the most deranged person I've encountered on the internet.
BoozingAg
Do you think you're going to get some sort of badge from rob for defending him on the internet?
Sandman98
AG
BoozingAg said:

Do you think you're going to get some sort of badge from rob for defending him on the internet?

I'm working on you. Read the post. I really don't care what you think about him. I want to know why.
BoozingAg
Sandman98 said:

BoozingAg said:

I'm working on you. Read the post. I really don't care what you think about him. I want to know why.

Why what? I have nothing personal against Rob, I just think it's time to move on. And most people agree with me. There are a few lunatic Rob fan-boys our there that don't, obviously.

[You insist on making every baseball post a debate on Childress. That ends now. User banned--Staff]
Sandman98
AG
BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

BoozingAg said:

Why what? I have nothing personal against Rob, I just think it's time to move on. And most people agree with me. There are a few lunatic Rob fan-boys our there that don't, obviously.

So you're just a giant nerd. You might consider finding another way to blow off some steam.
Aggies2009
AG
Sandman98 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

BoozingAg said:

So you're just a giant nerd. You might consider finding another way to blow off some steam.
It's Monday. Give the guy a break!
TexasAGGIEinAR
To blow who?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.