This Weekend in the SEC (4/18 - 4/21)

22,479 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by src94
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could hear the woo birds now
W
AG
just for fun...

in their March 18th poll, Baseball America had t.u. at #4 in the country --- just 4 weeks ago
dixichkn
AG
Huge series coming up vs Ole Piss. Take this one and we just may be able to avoid the Austin regional.

Seriously, how bout we just take care of business this Tuesday for a change?
powerbelly
AG
dixichkn said:

Huge series coming up vs Ole Piss. Take this one and we just may be able to avoid the Austin regional.

There isnt going to be an austin regional.
jkag89
Other Saturday Top 25 Scores
Berkeley 1 - #1 UCLA 6
Arizona 3 - #2 Oregon St. 15
Arizona 3 - #2 Oregon St 9(DH)
#4 Stanford 10 - Oregon 0
#23 Miami 16 - #8 Louisville 11 (Resumption of game suspended 4/19)
#23 Miami 6 - #8 Louisville 9
#9 North Carolina St. 4 - Wake Forest 3
#9 North Carolina St. 8 - Wake Forest 9 (DH)
California-Davis 3 - #10 California-Santa Barbara 4
#11 Georgia Tech 7 - Virginia Tech 5
#11 Georgia Tech 4 - Virginia Tech 3
Connecticut 2 - #13 East Carolina 5 (7)
Connecticut 7 - #13 East Carolina 9 (DH)
#16 Arizona St. 3 - Utah 6
Boston College 7 - #17 North Carolina 8
Boston College 10 - #17 North Carolina 11 (DH)
Kansas 0 - #20 West Virginia 1
Kansas 3 - #20 West Virginia 4 (DH)
Duke 5 - # 24 Clemson 3
AgEng06
AG
powerbelly said:

dixichkn said:

There isnt going to be an austin regional.

That was a joke...
jkag89
aginlakeway
AG
dixichkn said:

Easier said than done this week. Tough matchup.
jkag89
aginlakeway said:

dixichkn said:

Easier said than done this week. Tough matchup.
Losing midweek games hurt but if the Ags go 2-2 for a week I rather win the SEC series than take the midweek contest. It would be nice to get a quality start against UTA so our inconsistent bats do not need to try to come from behind again this week.
AggieBB
AG
Looks like those poor tsip *******s went on quite the skid since we beat their ass.
Chester
AggieBB said:

Looks like those poor tsip *******s went on quite the skid since we beat their ass.
They could have used a third paid coach. Somebody should tell their AD.
Wicked Good Ag
After nearly 6 full series in the SEC (Vandy still has game left with Bama) here are some stats

5/14 teams have at least 30 wins in the season (TAMU just shy with 29)

No one has a sub .500 record including Kentucky overall

12 sweeps (28% of the series) have occurred with only 3 of those away from home with TAMU and Tenn winning at Kentucky and Georgia sweeping at South Carolina .Vandy could add to this today

Only one program has not won at least one series ...South Carolina but they were swept only once

Only two teams in the East have better than a .500 record in conference (Georgia and Vandy) while all but Bama have a winning record on the West
TempleAg97
AG
Good stuff Wicked Good Ag. Thanks!
technoviking
AG
The west is best.
Ag 11
AG
Vandy beat bama to complete the sweep
W
AG
on the national scene...the top 8 seeds / hosts are taking shape:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech

I just don't see the committee giving the top 8 seeds to only 3 conferences. Not saying your list isn't the most deserving teams...but my gut tells me they'll sneak in UCSB (or similar) into the mix.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Emilio Fantastico
AG
W said:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech

With the SEC West being so much deeper than the East, do you think it is safe to pencil in the two east teams over possibly only getting one West team? Sure, their records might be better but do their schedules stack up?
who?mikejones
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

W said:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech

I just don't see the committee giving the top 8 seeds to only 3 conferences. Not saying your list isn't the most deserving teams...but my gut tells me they'll sneak in UCSB (or similar) into the mix.

I agree. This list is just too....correct.
Luke The Drifter
AG
who?mikejones said:

Luke The Drifter said:

W said:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech

I agree. This list is just too....correct.

Plus, the SEC has 4 weeks left to cannibalize each other. Some ridiculous team like East Carolina or West Virginia will end up with a top 8 seed.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
jkag89
Other Sunday Top 25 Scores
Boston College 8 - #17 North Carolina 16
Kansas 6 - #20 West Virginia 5
Duke 9 - #24 Clemson 8
W
AG
we've reached the point in the season where some teams have built up such a resume and RPI/SoS that other teams can't "catch" them anymore....barring a major, major collapse. 70% of the regular season is already in the books.

Vanderbilt is one example. With series wins over Arkansas, Tennessee, and Florida; And only series losses to A&M and UGA -- both on the road; and a 10-5 road/neutral record...Vandy is set.

plus the Commodores still have UK and Carolina to play. Similar story with Georgia
Basketball and Chain
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

W said:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech

Happened last year with the SEC (4), PAC (2) and ACC (2), so it's been done before.
TempleAg97
AG
I can definitely see the SEC getting six host sites and 3-4 top 8's (my guess is 3).

As far as UCSB, their RPI is about to drop like a rock. I think it's mathematically impossible or close to it (can't locate them in Boyd Needs for some reason) for them to finish top 8 and if they lose a game or 2, they will finish outside the top 20. With their stadium situation, they are likely traveling.
TXAggie2011
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

Luke The Drifter said:

W said:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech

Happened last year with the SEC (4), PAC (2) and ACC (2), so it's been done before.

Yep. And the only other conference to get any national seeds the past three tournament was the Big 12 with Tech and TCU.

They've not gone out of their way to get the small schools in. Really, they've been skipped over a lot. (See DBU, Stetson, etc.)
Luke The Drifter
AG
Ok - interesting. Clearly my memory is short. And I actually like it when non-traditional schools from non-traditional conferences get high seeds and host spots...so long as they've earned it.
Mr.Ackar07
TempleAg97 said:

I can definitely see the SEC getting six host sites and 3-4 top 8's (my guess is 3).

As far as UCSB, their RPI is about to drop like a rock. I think it's mathematically impossible or close to it (can't locate them in Boyd Needs for some reason) for them to finish top 8 and if they lose a game or 2, they will finish outside the top 20. With their stadium situation, they are likely traveling.
You are correct. No possibility for a Top 8 finish and all but mathematically impossible for a Top 16 finish:

Quote:

UC Santa Barbara

Remaining: 9 home, 10 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 6
ROWP: 0.387

Top 45:

2 home wins, 10 road wins
3 home wins, 8 road wins
4 home wins, 7 road wins
5 home wins, 6 road wins
6 home wins, 4 road wins
7 home wins, 3 road wins
8 home wins, 2 road wins
9 home wins, 0 road wins

Top 32:

4 home wins, 10 road wins
5 home wins, 8 road wins
6 home wins, 7 road wins
7 home wins, 5 road wins
8 home wins, 4 road wins
9 home wins, 2 road wins

Top 16:

9 home wins, 9 road wins

Top 8:

No way to reach the threshold.

Basketball and Chain
AG
Wow, currently at RPI 6 and they need a finish a predicted 18-1 or better to finish inside the RPI top 16
waco_aggie05
AG
W said:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech

So the undoubtedly deepest division (SEC West) is only going to get 1 national seed and the east will get 2? Not doubting you, just pointing it out. Would UGA or Vandy be so highly ranked if they had to run the gauntlet of the west?
Wicked Good Ag
Well you still have to play four series against the west while in the east. Georgia has shown to be the best so far in the SEC IMO regardless of East/West
twk
AG
waco_aggie05 said:

W said:

UCLA
Oregon State
Georgia
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Stanford
SEC West #1
SEC West #2 or GaTech

So the undoubtedly deepest division (SEC West) is only going to get 1 national seed and the east will get 2? Not doubting you, just pointing it out. Would UGA or Vandy be so highly ranked if they had to run the gauntlet of the west?
That's how I see it: Vandy and UGA look to be locks. If you look at the West teams' RPI's, it seems like one team is likely to be a borderline national seed, and two others close, but just out of the money.
src94
AG
The Bulldog battle in Starkville is gonna be an interesting match-up this weekend.
src94
aeroag14
AG
src94 said:

The Bulldog battle in Starkville is gonna be an interesting match-up this weekend.

Nasty three weeks for State.

@Piggy
Vs Georgia
@TAMU

Back to back to back top 10 series, with 2 being on the road.
src94
AG
SEC is most certainly a GRIND! I love it!
src94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.