Baseball Rankings - 4/15/19

5,809 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CapCityAg89
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
D1Baseball

1. UCLA
3. Mississippi State
5. Georgia
6. Vanderbilt
7. Texas A&M (up from 10 last week)
12. Arkansas
14. LSU
15. Ole Miss
18. Baylor
19. TCU
21. Missouri
25. Tennessee

Dropped out: Texas, Auburn

Emilio Fantastico
AG
I assume our jump was mostly based on others around us losing weekend series since we were only 2-2 for the week. Although a series win over Auburn is a nice accomplishment.

Tcu seems way overrated since their record is meh against a craptastic schedule.

Sips really making it hard for the tournament to give them a national seed. Lol
CypressAg09
AG
TCU at 19 with an RPI of 66 is pretty crazy. Even their predicted RPI is only 53.
hunter2012
AG
Looks like Texas State was a power loss.
who?mikejones
AG
Is ut going to be stuck in a cstat regional?
Luke The Drifter
AG
The Texas State loss wasn't as bad as many of you make it out to be. Yea, we should have won, but it's not like the Bobcats are a 200+ RPI team.
OKCAGS
TCU's RPI/Ranking is a complete joke . Purely pollsters not doing ANY research .
Luke The Drifter
AG
who?mikejones said:

Only if they play better down the stretch. Their current trend is down with their RPI sitting at 31. Any more weekends like they just had and they'll be slipping out of at-large range.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Emilio Fantastico
AG
So what you're saying is they will only get a regional host and not a national seed.
PJYoung
AG
Aggies are now 2nd in the West and 3rd overall in the SEC.
who?mikejones
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

who?mikejones said:

Only if they play better down the stretch. Their current trend is down with their RPI sitting at 31. Any more weekends like they just had and they'll be slipping out of at-large range.

That would be glorious
PJYoung
AG
They have been incredibly average save for their 3 game sweep of LSU.

Even their wins have been meh.
hunter2012
AG
PJYoung said:

Aggies are now 2nd in the West and 3rd overall in the SEC.

That stupid tie, if we can get one win more over MSST & Georgia we would lead outright.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
PJYoung said:

They have been incredibly average save for their 3 game sweep of LSU.

Even their wins have been meh.

Wasn't their sweep of LSU based solely on the inability of the LSU pitchers to throw the ball over the plate?
powerbelly
AG
Mostly
Luke The Drifter
AG
Baseball America

BA following D1Baseball in getting their rankings out early on a Monday.

1. UCLA
3. Mississippi State
4. Georgia
6. Vanderbilt
10. Arkansas
11. Texas A&M (up from 14 last week)
15. LSU
18. Ole Miss
19. Baylor
20. Texas
22. TCU
24. Auburn
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
nortex97
AG
Wow, I didn't think I'd see the day D1 dropped the sips out. Kudos.
Luke The Drifter
AG
nortex97 said:

Wow, I didn't think I'd see the day D1 dropped the sips out. Kudos.

There's really no metric right now that shows Texas to be a top 25 team. They've had some good wins, but also some terrible, terrible losses. The Horns still have time to improve...the rest of their schedule isn't all that tough...but if they can't win a home series against a really bad K-State team, then they might have trouble down the stretch against oSu, WVU, KU, and OU. Their Tuesday games aren't all that difficult either...Lamar, at Texas State, at A&M-Corpus, Texas State, and Incarnate Word. Texas State and UIW aren't pushovers, but definitely winnable games.

W
AG
it looks like D1 threw up their hands and finally got rid of any preseason notions or expectations...and just focused on results thru 9 weeks of the season.

A&M is at #7 because the Ags have had only 1 losing weekend against a quality schedule. That's an important metric.

the Big 12 is a mess. It's basically a league full of #2 and #3 seeds. And that should benefit the SEC come regional host selection time.

and as previously mentioned it's getting tough to justify ranking teams in the top 20 that have RPI's outside the top 40. (re: TCU)
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
who?mikejones said:

I would hope not
Wicked Good Ag
Interesting that the BDF has lost most of its momentum from the past few years and also is looking like voting down the third paid assistant
Because of geographically where they are they should for the most part be the third best baseball conference. But the PAC 12 North more than holds their own with two of the top 6 and PAC 12 having three of top 5-6 overall

powerbelly
AG
who?mikejones said:

I bet they get sent out west
CypressAg09
AG
W said:

it looks like D1 threw up their hands and finally got rid of any preseason notions or expectations...and just focused on results thru 9 weeks of the season.

A&M is at #7 because the Ags have had only 1 losing weekend against a quality schedule. That's an important metric.

the Big 12 is a mess. It's basically a league full of #2 and #3 seeds. And that should benefit the SEC come regional host selection time.

and as previously mentioned it's getting tough to justify ranking teams in the top 20 that have RPI's outside the top 40. (re: TCU)
There were some huge jumps and falls in the D1 rankings this week. Louisville from 20 to 8, UC Santa Barbara from 23 to 10, sips from 14 to NR, etc. Odd that you would have such drastic changes this late in the season. You're right, it almost looks like they just started over from scratch haha.
W
AG
yes, very unusual for D1 to have that much drastic movement
PJYoung
AG
BeatHellOutOfTU said:

who?mikejones said:

I would hope not

Username does not check out.
AvidAggie
AG
Missouri cracks the Top 25.

I thought they were terrible.
cypress-ag
AG
The State of Texas usually has 2 to 3 spots for regionals...Tech, Ags, Baylor? DBU perhaps?
HoustonAg2106
AG
cypress-ag said:

The State of Texas usually has 2 to 3 spots for regionals...Tech, Ags, Baylor? DBU perhaps?
Probably just Tech and A&M have a chance to host right now...Baylor and DBU have worse RPI's than Texas right now...and none of those teams have a difficult enough schedule to drastically improve their RPI by the end of the year.
powerbelly
AG
cypress-ag said:

I think Texas gets 2 this year, Tech and us.
W
AG
Tech's conference record is 6-6.

and as tough as the committee was on the SEC last year, I would think a Big 12 team has to get to 14-10 to host. 13-11 or 12-12 won't cut it.

that means the Red Raiders have to go 8-4 down the stretch vs. BU, OU, OSU, and TCU
W
AG
and looking ahead to a possible College Station regional...

the committee did not send any Big 12 teams to Blue Bell in 2015 & 2016.

however Baylor did not qualify for regional play in 2015 & 2016. The horns did not qualify in 2016. And TCU hosted its own regional in those 2 years.

if A&M hosts in 2019, a Big 12 team to BBP would seem like a lock this time around
Texam90
AG
West Virginia after being pummeled by Baylor at home has won series against OU, OSU and Tech. They are 6-6 and have traveled a lot

If they took series against tu and TCU and had no bad losses (season ending series with GW doesn't help)... maybe
HoustonAg2106
AG
Coaches Poll

1. UCLA
2. Mississippi State
3. Stanford
4. Oregon State
5. Vanderbilt
6. Georgia
7. Louisville
8. NC State
9. Texas A&M
10. Arkansas

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/rankings/_/pollId/9/sportId/10031000
dixichkn
AG
powerbelly said:

who?mikejones said:

I bet they get sent out west
With their future conference mates.

Yeah the BDF has looked very, very pedestrian this year. Say what you will about them, but they're usually a very solid baseball league. Not so much this year.
CapCityAg89
AG
I think the Big12 is feeling the impact of the sub-standard television rights contracts. Football is incredibly top heavy. Basketball and baseball where it is traditionally very strong are down as well. Texas and Oklahoma have outside inflow sources but the other programs have no money to invest.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.