20 Second rule and other proposed NCAA baseball changes

2,966 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Belton Ag
TailG8TR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would like to get some reactions to the newly proposed NCAA Baseball rule changes. Time clocks, changes to video reviews.....

Your take ?

Proposed Changes
BreNayPop
AG
Anything to reduce the length of the game, im good with.

Im not sure 20 seconds with baserunners is enough tho. Will just create lots of throws over to first to reset the clock, plus gives runners a little extra jump on pitches based on time... we shall see.
Aggie
AG
Hate any clocks in baseball
greg.w.h
AG
Aggie said:

Me, too. But the length of games keeps getting longer with no real explanation. Clocks in basketball created a more bounded, watchable game. Perhaps there are ways to ensure the rain delay isn't human...
Icecream_Ag
S
greg.w.h said:

Aggie said:

Me, too. But the length of games keeps getting longer with no real explanation. Clocks in basketball created a more bounded, watchable game. Perhaps there are ways to ensure the rain delay isn't human...
start the mind visit clock when the coach crosses the chalk.
Wicked Good Ag
Icecream_Ag said:

greg.w.h said:

Aggie said:

Wayne Graham at Rice would have been in trouble the last couple of years if that would have been the rule.

I think a clock is inevitable as the games are longer and longer for no reason. A solid 5-4 or 4-3 games take now three and half hours
Icecream_Ag
S
Wicked Good Ag said:

Icecream_Ag said:

greg.w.h said:

Aggie said:

Wayne Graham at Rice would have been in trouble the last couple of years if that would have been the rule.

I think a clock is inevitable as the games are longer and longer for no reason. A solid 5-4 or 4-3 games take now three and half hours
w Wayne Graham and Augie both took forever to get to the mound, even when young. That's why a 2-1 Texas vs rice game lasted longer than a 21-20 game elsewhere.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'm not sure the pace of play will be increased. We have had the clock in place for years now, when no one was on base, and about half the time it expires, no one but me seems to notice that. It's especially bad when someone pitches really slow or a batter steps out repeatedly, just to mess with the other team.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
nereus
AG
I don't have much of a reaction as expanding replay and rules focusing on speeding up pace of play have seemed mostly inevitable for a while. I personally don't really like them, but when the MLB started focusing on them you knew it was going to trickle down.

Third to first pick off move now a balk (MLB did that 3-4 years ago)
No pitch walks (MLB started last year)
Only 6 mound visits (MiLB is doing this, will probably make its way up)
Pitch clock (MiLB is doing this, talk is MLB will adopt it next season)
nereus
AG
BreNayPop said:

Anything to reduce the length of the game, im good with.

Im not sure 20 seconds with baserunners is enough tho. Will just create lots of throws over to first to reset the clock, plus gives runners a little extra jump on pitches based on time... we shall see.
You don't even have to throw over. The pitcher can just step off the rubber. AA and AAA are doing 20 sec with runner on base this year. I have been to a couple games and it hasn't been an issue. The pitchers weren't dropping it down to the final seconds anyways, so the runners weren't getting an advantage in the games I attended.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I don't like automatic intentional walks. Pitcher should have to throw the ball.
BreNayPop
AG
Id honestly like to see a shorter clock for the hitter to be ready, like 15 seconds or its a strike. Too many take extra breaths praying to jobu/triple checking glove straps/etc
Hop
Staff
AG
I think you have to pick one or the other...do you want extensive, unlimited umpire video reviews or do you want a faster game?

Pitch clocks aren't going to significantly quicken the game. Eliminating 4-5 video reviews that take 3-4 minutes a pop does.
94chem
Quote:

Anything to reduce the length of the game, im good with. force coaches to let their catchers call the game.
twk
AG
Hop said:

I think you have to pick one or the other...do you want extensive, unlimited umpire video reviews or do you want a faster game?

Pitch clocks aren't going to significantly quicken the game. Eliminating 4-5 video reviews that take 3-4 minutes a pop does.
Replay doesn't have to lengthen games, if done properly. Don't forget to figure in the time saved by eliminating arguments. If you put a stopwatch to how much time used to be wasted with coaches coming out to argument blown calls that were never going to be reversed, it really added up over the course of the year.
44mAG
AG
To me baseball is very unique because the players on the field have a say so in how long a game lasts. When we see these pitcher duals where they are mowing down the batters every inning, the games go by super fast. If the pitchers aren't on their game as much, and you see each team be in the double digits for hits, the game is obviously going to last longer.

Maybe we should make a run max per inning if they really want to speed up the games. Maybe a limit of 3-4 runs per inning?... Just kidding of course.
trouble
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

I don't like automatic intentional walks. Pitcher should have to throw the ball.

Exactly. It's not guaranteed that they aren't going to make a mistake.
coconutED
AG
The solution to pace of play is the same it's always been: enforce the rules that are already there to prevent artificial delays; start awarding automatic balls and strikes when players and coaches start lollygagging...that will stop the nonsense very quickly.
dung11a1
I think a clock is inevitable as the games are longer and longer for no reason. apkdownload.cc . A solid 5-4 or 4-3 games take now three and half hours
94chem
trouble said:

ensign_beedrill said:

Exactly. It's not guaranteed that they aren't going to make a mistake.
So funny - the MLB and college rules used to be reversed.
Hop
Staff
AG
twk said:

Hop said:

Replay doesn't have to lengthen games, if done properly. Don't forget to figure in the time saved by eliminating arguments. If you put a stopwatch to how much time used to be wasted with coaches coming out to argument blown calls that were never going to be reversed, it really added up over the course of the year.
Replay doesn't lengthen games? First of all, in many instances the coach comes out to argue whether the call is reviewable or not. Then the umpires convene and discuss if the play will be reviewed as an umpire review or a coach's challenge. Then they run underneath the stadium to review the call. They come out a couple minutes later and rule. If the play is overturned, then the opposing coach comes back out to get clarification exactly what part of the play was reviewed and if it was reviewable. There were instances last season that a review stopped the game for a significant amount of time.

I was at all of the games you were at, and I noticed the games went to a crawl when you brought replays into the mix. Maybe half of reviews were straight-forward and somewhat timely (still 2-3 minutes). The other half had umpires debating extensively if a play is reviewable under the rules and coaches come out anyway for clarification of the process. And on close plays, it may take several minutes just to review the play itself.

How will a clock speed things up? Players and coaches will find a way around a clock.
KatyAg88
^^^^^ The Vandy v. MSU Super Regional games were good examples of this.
Belton Ag
AG
Agree on on replays making the game slower. College football has gone so far down the replay road that practically every single play has some kind of review prior to the ball being snapped. It has completely ruined watching college football in person. Please, NCAA don't let baseball follow.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.