Michael Helman

5,338 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Expert Analysis
JohnnieBB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any news on Michael?
technoviking
AG
he's not on a summer league team; which means he's negotiating with the twins currently, imo.

his slot value is $150k, but, he has leverage to get more because he has the choice of going back to a&m. my gut says he's gonna sign with the twins. but, i hope i'm wrong
OKCAGS
This is starting to get interesting . Conventional thought was that Helman would sign quickly and be in the Twins system by now. Hopefully , Michael has seen the many Seniors that decided to stay in school and led their teams to Omaha .

If he decides to come come back ( like Jake Mangum from Miss St ) the Ags would have one of the top5 players in the SEC next year ..... to go along with a solid group of Jr's ( Shew, Coleman , Foster , Andritsos and Dox ) and some really talented Sophs in DeLoach , Lacy and Frizell.

Keep your fingers crossed Ags ..... this gets more interesting by the day .
VegasAg86
AG
Sure would love to have Helman back next year. I still assume he's signing, but would be thrilled to be pleasantly surprised.
HoustonAg2106
AG
When does he have to make his decision by?
Agsncws
AG
July 6th
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Foxo
AG
No, he hasn't signed yet. Here are the Minnesota draft offers ..

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/twins

6/14/18 Los Angeles Dodgers signed RHP Stephen Kolek.

OKCAGS
Fingers crossed. This has gotten pretty interesting. Don't know if the Twins are going to be able to make a good enough offer for Micheal to go .
ColoradoMooseHerd
Not sure if discussed on the boards somewhere, but has it been mentioned that the 8th Round Pick for the twins signed for $10,000 when slotted for $162,000? Or is there a typo on the site?
clendenin
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Not sure if discussed on the boards somewhere, but has it been mentioned that the 8th Round Pick for the twins signed for $10,000 when slotted for $162,000? Or is there a typo on the site?
Senior sign with no leverage so $10,000 was correct
sharpdressedman
technoviking said:

he's not on a summer league team; which means he's negotiating with the twins currently, imo.

his slot value is $150k, but, he has leverage to get more because he has the choice of going back to a&m. my gut says he's gonna sign with the twins. but, i hope i'm wrong
After taxes, the amount is paltry. Unless he has a burning passion to get to the farm team now, he's flunking out of school, or he wants to be off on his own, I don't see a good reason for him leaving. It's his life, and he can do whatever he wants with it.
twk
AG
sharpdressedman said:

technoviking said:

After taxes, the amount is paltry. Unless he has a burning passion to get to the farm team now, he's flunking out of school, or he wants to be off on his own, I don't see a good reason for him leaving. It's his life, and he can do whatever he wants with it.
If Helman signs for $250k, that's not a paltry sum, especially when you think of it is $250k now, and get on the bus to play in the minors now, or, $10k next year (seniors have no leverage), then get on the bus to play in the minors. Even if he were to sign for $150k, that's probably enough to forego one year of college for a JUCO transfer. Might not be the case for everyone, but it definitely is for some.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Crumbs

/Nancy Pelosi
CypressAg09
AG
Looks like they just signed their first round pick for about half a mil under slot. Not great news for us getting Helman back.
CypressAg09
AG
sharpdressedman said:

technoviking said:

Because next year he'll get drafted and get a 10k signing bonus like the catcher discussed above. He can always come back and finish school, but he loses all leverage if he comes back next year.
Sandman98
AG
sharpdressedman said:

technoviking said:

How would your net worth have been different if your first employer gave you a lump sum of even 100k after tax at the age of 21?

Don't ignore that this is a partial scholarship sport. Not only would he get less than 10k as a senior, he would have incurred another year of debt for partial cost of attendance (or money spent by his parents). None of us know his financial situation but that financial swing is significant no matter who you are.
OKCAGS
Larnach from OSU ( their 1st rounder ) left at least 600k on the table to sign . Twins now have plenty of Money to give Michael above slot $ . Oh well ..... Ags have plenty of good young infielders , but would have been nice to have a guy like Helman , to pair with a solid core of Jr's .
Thunder Ag
When tommorow is the deadline
CypressAg09
AG
OKCAGS said:

Larnach from OSU ( their 1st rounder ) left at least 600k on the table to sign . Twins now have plenty of Money to give Michael above slot $ . Oh well ..... Ags have plenty of good young infielders , but would have been nice to have a guy like Helman , to pair with a solid core of Jr's .
Looks like their 5th and 6th rounders still haven't signed. So if those two and helman are all asking over slot, there's a chance someone goes unsigned.
OKCAGS
True .... but it looks like a bunch of their draft picks have accepted less than slot value . At least we will know by tomorrow.
Wicked Good Ag
I look at it this way. Whatever decision he makes I will be happy for him

If he signs just set aside some money to finish his final coursework when he can and get the degree.
Gofor2
AG
Any updates this AM?

Rough, Tough, Real Stuff. Texas A&M.
Goose06
AG
He signed for $220k
KT 90
AG
BreNayPop
AG
Congrats to helman for following his dream.

We really need some guys to step up at the plate next year.
Ag 11
AG
Can't blame him. Going to really miss having him next year. I know we'll see great things from him.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Good for him!
ensign_beedrill
AG
Happy for him, but will miss him. Was really fun to watch him play.
tjack16
AG
I don't blame him... but it kinda sucks that him and Boomer white both only had 1 season in the maroon and white
Agsncws
AG
Well deserved opportunity for him. Sad to see him go.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Aggie12B
AG
Congrats MAYO! Really enjoyed having you on our team, even though it was for only 1 season. Best of luck as you pursue your dream of playing Major league baseball!
Aggieangler93
AG
Gig'em Helman. We'll miss ya, but go chase your dreams!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Expert Analysis
AG
glad he got above slot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.