Why aren't we better than Texas Tech?

26,681 Views | 265 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aginlakeway
phatty26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tadlock will win a national title soon possibly this year. He is a winner and has won 3 juco national titles and Tadlock would win in the SEC guaranteed.

Having played with him in juco prior to him playing at Tech he is toughest, most competitive person I have ever met. His teams are like him they will out hustle out work everyone and if you don't want to play like that and give it your all. You are not needed on his teams.

That being said Childress is a dam good coach as well and it is tough to compare them he has been longer but what other team has been dealt such a hard path to Omaha playing TCU in super regionals.

phatty26
phatty26
He is not failing so you can forget that non sense. I told my brother and all my Tech friends they will win a national title in 5-10 years and be in Omaha in 5. Little did I know if would only take one season and in year 2 and 3 he was in Omaha with possibly his best team in year 4. He is not leaving.
jkag89
It is probably my fault in using Serrano in trying to illustrate my point but the thought I was trying to convey is that even with the two Natty Seed and the tards remarkable postseason run in '14, it a little early to place Tadlock on the list of elite coaches.
jkag89
phatty26 said:

He is not failing so you can forget that non sense. I told my brother and all my Tech friends they will win a national title in 5-10 years and be in Omaha in 5. Little did I know if would only take one season and in year 2 and 3 he was in Omaha with possibly his best team in year 4. He is not leaving.
Again this was not the intent of me bringing up Serrano. Despite his tenure at Tennessee, I think his run at Irvine/Fullerton is more indicative of his baseball acumen. It was never my intent to belittle what Tadlock has accomplished.
BurnetAggie99
I'll take us as a two seed in Lubbock all day long. Ags can win that Regional as we already beat Tech pretty bad his year and SEC is a tougher conference
SABUILDERAG
What does baseball history have to do with it. It actually supports those of us who are crediting Tadlock as the reason they are better than us. Childress has done less with more and Tadlock has done more with less. Period. He is elite, but we continue to bury our head in the sand and think that Childress is going to figure it out all of a sudden. We need to get Tadlock in maroon and white.
BurnetAggie99
Tadlock reminds me of Dave Serrano. Serrano led both UC Irvine and Cal State Fullerton to the College World Series before taking the Tennessee job, but he hasn't been as successful in the SEC.

I think Tadlock is a similar coach and would fail at a Power SEC school .
Mark Fairchild
AG
Tadlock is exactly where he wants to be. He isn't going anywhere, and why should he? He's a National Seed this year. Let that sink in. He's in the he** hole named Lubbock, Tx, and he is a National Seed. He's coaching circles around some of the best. Like I said, he ain't going anywhere. And to answer the original question for this topic:

COACHING.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
BurnetAggie99
Coaches in a weak conference and has been very lucky getting draws and where they played to get to CWS.

If Tech played in the SEC they be a sub .500 team similar to South Carolina, Ole Miss this year. We handled them easily this year. Tech doesn't want A&M as a two seed in Lubbock, I hope it happens cause I believe we win that Regional
powerbelly
AG
The big 12 is a good baseball conference. Hell, they kicked our ass as a conference this year.
BurnetAggie99
One tournament doesn't determine conference strength. SEC is the best and hardest conference hands down in baseball.
powerbelly
AG
The point is that the big 12 is not a weak baseball conference. That is laughable.
jkag89
powerbelly51 said:

The big 12 is a good baseball conference. Hell, they kicked our ass as a conference this year.
Yep, certainly not weak this year. One thing that helps are the breaks in the middle of league play with only eight conference series.

Nothing in Tadlock's career so far makes me believe he would not be successful in any league, just do not believe their is enough of a track record as of yet to label him elite as many here are already doing.
jkag89
BurnetAggie99 said:

One tournament doesn't determine conference strength. SEC is the best and hardest conference hands down in baseball.
Year in and year out, most certainly. The BDF is very good this year and not just at the top. Suprisingly they have depth and will likely have close to or as many or as teams make the regional field as the SEC.
Mark Fairchild
AG
The big 12 this year is the better of the two conferences. As jkag89 pointed out, their break helps, but having said that from top to bottom they are pretty darn good. I did not call Tadlock "elite", but I did say that he was coaching right on up there with the best. Heck to see what he has done with the tech program in such a short period of time, shows me he is pretty darn good. Whatever he is doing is working. I would also say, having watched tech hand it to tcu and take their series against them, that we would NOT fair well against them in their own park and against their hitting and pitching, and defense. Like I said, Tadlock is getting it done. PERIOD. Oh, and to state an obvious, the fact that they are doing so well, makes me ill beyond belief.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
TAMU1990
AG
I agree - we need to get the Tech coach. I would at least money whip him and see if he responds. If so, go get him.
jkag89
He is a tech grad, he is not coming here even if we throw a truck load of money at him.
BanderaAg956
jkag89 said:

Captain Pablo said:

jkag89 said:

Dave Serrano had six straight years of excellence at Irvine and Fullerton. His Vols teams only finished above the 6th spot in the SEC East once in his six seasons at Tennessee.

Get back to me when Tadlock tanks, or when Childress has 6 straight years of excellence
Tadlock hasn't had six years of excellence. Thea season between the tards Omaha runs they failed to make the dance. Tadlock very well may be an elite coach, IMO it is still too early in his tenure to annoint him the next Bertman, Augie or even Schloss.

Get back to us when Childress has as many CWS appearances and wins as Tadlock with less money, lesser facilities and less talent!
jkag89
Sigh, I've tried to explain my postion more than once. In all of this I'm not trying to defend RC or in anyway belittle what Tadlock has done at tech.
TAMU1990
AG
Have we asked? If we double his salary and give him incentives that push his salary close to $1M (regular outings at Omaha being one of those incentives) I think he might give us a look. If he gets Tech to Omaha again this season I would pay that for a young coaching talent. And that base + incentives would still not be tops in the conference.
jkag89
Wendy 1990 said:

Have we asked? If we double his salary and give him incentives that push his salary close to $1M (regular outings at Omaha being one of those incentives) I think he might give us a look. If he gets Tech to Omaha again this season I would pay that for a young coaching talent. And that base + incentives would still not be tops in the conference.
So you don't you think the sips didn't make overtures after letting go Augie? Why would any coach want to come to a school that would go behind their current coach, one that by the metrics of most is quite sucessful, to see if he would come?
TAMU1990
AG
That is a constant - schools are always inquiring about coaching in major sports and it's a part of the business. I wouldn't leave Tech for Texas either because it's the same conference and probably not enough money was put on the table. Plus, I would enjoy being a thorn in Texas' side if I had played at Tech. They see each other at least 3 times every year.

However, we are in a different league with a different playing style than Tech and the Big XII. He may or may not be interested.

W
AG
Tadlock wins his 2nd Big 12 regular season conference championship. Outright in 2016. Co-champs in 2017
jkag89
Why don't you think the sips were willing to put money on the table if Tadlock is the real deal? They certainly have shown no qualms about ponying up the cash if they believe it would get them the coach they want.

If you say that programs often test the willingness of coaches changing jobs if the right deal is on the table without firing the current head coach, fans should not cry foul when coaches ask for and get extensions.
TAMU1990
AG
I don't cry foul when coaches get extensions. Usually it happens after a good season.

Texas has had some difficulties in their athletic department as of late. Some of the shine has worn off of their brand. They are also doing worse financially with empty stadiums. If I'm not mistaken, I think Tadlock got a contract extension last year too. Most likely in response to other colleges sniffing around while performing beyond expectations.

Personally, I believe if we have the success tech has been having the Olsen expansion would be on the docket at a much earlier date. It's a financial win-win for both parties.
Captain Pablo
AG
jkag89 said:

Why don't you think the sips were willing to put money on the table if Tadlock is the real deal? They certainly have shown no qualms about ponying up the cash if they believe it would get them the coach they want.

If you say that programs often test the willingness of coaches changing jobs if the right deal is on the table without firing the current head coach, fans should not cry foul when coaches ask for and get extensions.

The sips not ponying up for Tadlock is evidence he isn't the real deal?

Or is it because of Tadlock's Tech ties, which I would agree with

He ain't leaving Tech
jkag89
There was much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board after RC received a modest extension this past summer.

I agree much of the shine has come off the sip brand, still hard to believe they are so poor they can not offer more than competative contracts. Tadlock may have said no for the reasons you gave earlier or maybe right now he believes he is fairly compensated by his Alma Mater and gets more satisfaction raising it to national prominence over huge contract.

The timing of the Olsen expansion has to do with much needed uparades in other sports, not due to any lack of sucess in comparison to other baseball programs. Very doubtful that any expansion would place the program in the black even if Tadlock produced years comparable to his most recent at tech here at A&M especially given a million dollar plus contract you suggest we offer him. Not saying that A&M should not be willing to pony up if we can lure an elite coach if/when we part ways with RC but until college baseball gets real money for TV rights even the most sucessful programs are rarely going pay for themselves.

jkag89
Captain Pablo said:

jkag89 said:

The sips not ponying up for Tadlock is evidence he isn't the real deal?

Or is it because of Tadlock's Tech ties, which I would agree with

He ain't leaving Tech
Not my point at all. I think t.u. did go after Tadlock and I believe him turning them down had nothing to do with the sips not offering him a more than competative contract. I said earlier that chances are he will not leave tech due to his past ties to the program. Sorry if my wording in that post was not clear.
95_Aggie
AG
One thing Aggie fans excel at: Making excuses as to why we continue to under-perform in the major sports.
HoustonAg2106
AG
AGnCS said:

One thing Aggie fans excel at: Making excuses as to why we continue to under-perform in the major sports.
I don't think anyone is making excuses, just trying to help you understand the reality of the situation...Childress isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Captain Pablo
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

AGnCS said:

I don't think anyone is making excuses, just trying to help you understand the reality of the situation...Childress isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

If by soon, you mean 2017, I absolutely agree with you.

And he shouldn't be on the hot seat right now, and he most definitely is not

I wouldn't be so sure about 2018, depending on how things go this year and next.
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
One answer to this question is most definitely coaching... but the other answer that leads to quick turn arounds over the course of a few years is recruiting.

Tim Tadlock was considered the best recruiter in the country when he was the head coach at Grayson County College in Denison. He won nattys there and Grayson was so littered with guys that he would convince to turn down D1 teams and get drafted in 1-2 years at GCC that the running joke was that Grayson would place at least 3rd in the Big 12 every year.

Tadlock's recruiting dominance was so great that he took the assistant position at OU and in one recruiting season, took a terrible OU program and got them to sign a top tier class... can't remember the ranking. Fast forward 2-3 years-ish and OU went to the CWS in 2010. Enter the Sunny Galloway NCAA violation probe and Tech firing their staff and Tadlock's off to Tech.

Enter his right hand man J-Bob Thomas.. When Tadlock left for OU the next guy to take the title of best recruiter in the country was J-Bob, an assistant at Howard College in Big Spring. J-Bob would convince kids from DFW to come out to BFE Big Spring and play for him, and Howard starts becoming the best JUCO in the land eventually leading to a natty in 2009 when they went 68-1 that year.

Tadlock hired J-Bob away from Howard and now the 2 best baseball recruiters in the south are both at Tech. They turned the terrible baseball program around in 2 years and go to Omaha.. and have now since repeated that success.

Bottom line.. yes it's coaching, but recruiting is the driver of success and there aren't any guys better than Tadlock and J-Bob Thomas.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Thanks for the background info...

How long until J-Bob gets a new gig? Would he come here?
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
PermianBasinAggie said:

Thanks for the background info...

How long until J-Bob gets a new gig? Would he come here?
Always a possibility! Only way for him to come to A&M would be a complete coaching staff turnover here

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.