Baseball Non-Conference Opponent Wish List

4,953 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by W
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

I think we need to ditch the Minute Maid tournament. They're not really friendly to fans and this year especially I felt like I wasn't really welcome there. It's like having a ballpark full of fans is an inconvenience to them rather than their goal. If they don't want us there, let's just not go.

What happened that made you not feel like they wanted you there?
dermdoc
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

TXAggie2011 said:

But don't get me wrong, I am sure the listed attendance of 3600 enjoyed midweek game #2 with UTRGV last month.

All those season ticket holders that enjoy those games were just wearing their green seat camoflauge, thats why you couldn't see but 100 of them littered throughout 101-113 and the boxes.
You a season ticket holder?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And I really respect ensign beedrill but I personally really enjoy Minute Maid. Look, basically all of us have our own selfish wishes. I would tend to listen to season ticket holders rather than folks without skin in the game. But that is just me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
twk
AG
Quote:

Every other year, there was one of 2 teams that should have been replaced with a Minnesota/Ohio State/Indiana/Michigan/Long Beach/Arizona/ASU, etc.
We aren't going to do a home and home with a Big Ten school. We'll play them if they come to College Station, but they don't seem to want to come. Michigan State, who played at Olsen a few years back, played four games AT Abilene Christian to start the season. That should tell you about the kind of warm weather opponents Big Ten schools are looking for. It takes two to tango--we can't make these schools come down.

As to West Coast schools that would require a home and home, I'm open to changing the opponent, but man, Pepperdine is a great road trip. I'd hate to trade that for a trip to Fresno, even if the competition (and RPI help) is better. There are other options out there, for sure, but not that many, and lots of teams are looking to hook up with them.
Farmer1906
AG
I like the MMP games.

I want a competitive home-home with a solid West Coach Team

I would prefer to play a good weekend series with DBU or SAM than having Brown or Yale come in.

As previously mentioned, finding teams that rack up wins and win a weak division & overinflated northern RPI teams are ideal.

If we're improving our weekend matchups then I have no issue playing the PVA&M's of the world. I also like 1 to 3 road midweek games vs Rice, UH, tu, Tx State, UTA, etc.
Bunk Moreland
dermdoc said:

Bunk Moreland said:

TXAggie2011 said:

But don't get me wrong, I am sure the listed attendance of 3600 enjoyed midweek game #2 with UTRGV last month.

All those season ticket holders that enjoy those games were just wearing their green seat camoflauge, thats why you couldn't see but 100 of them littered throughout 101-113 and the boxes.
You a season ticket holder?

Yep. And since I live closer than many, I have attended more midweek games than most season ticket holders over the last handful of years.

I know that the season ticket seats do and do not look like on midweek and against terrible non-con action early in the season.
dermdoc
AG
Our four seats are almost always full. But we are the exception. What do you think the solution is because honestly I don't know.
ensign_beedrill
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

ensign_beedrill said:

I think we need to ditch the Minute Maid tournament. They're not really friendly to fans and this year especially I felt like I wasn't really welcome there. It's like having a ballpark full of fans is an inconvenience to them rather than their goal. If they don't want us there, let's just not go.

What happened that made you not feel like they wanted you there?
I read up on what was/wasn't allowed in the park. Website said food was allowed as long as it fits in a gallon baggie. Brought some food because I was going to be there all day and the ballpark food is so expensive, but when I got there, they wouldn't let me in with the food. I brought three bottles of water for three games, but they would only let me take one.

One year, they confiscated my sunscreen.

The whole bubble fiasco. Look, if you don't want bubbles in your ballpark, that's your business and I'll follow your rules. I'm an adult; just ask me not to blow bubbles and I won't. When security comes down and the first words out of their mouth are, "Alright, who has the bubble machine? I'm not leaving until I find out who has it," that's treating someone at best like a naughty child and at worst like a criminal. Nothing on the site indicated bubbles would be a problem and nobody at the security checkpoint raised a flag even though they were clearly visible in my bag. I think in this case, a warning is warranted before the confiscation of personal property. I was unable to focus or enjoy the game after that. We were then under watch for the rest of the last two games and certain security folks were being very unpleasant even after we were no longer making any bubbles.

Waited in line for 20 minutes and ended up with nasty, undercooked chicken tenders.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I usually enjoy the classic, too, and it's so convenient since I live in Houston. It just seems to get a little less fun each year. On the purely selfish side of things, I hate watching baseball inside. It doesn't feel I'm at a baseball game when there's a roof blocking the sky!
TXAggie2011
AG
Penn State came to Olsen.
Bunk Moreland
dermdoc said:

Our four seats are almost always full. But we are the exception. What do you think the solution is because honestly I don't know.

I know you are. And I know you do your best to have your seats filled even when you can't make it.

As for the seats not being sat in, that's a multi year debate this board always have, and we all have different ideas.

But as it pertains to early non-con series and midweek games, I think you would see more people at Olsen if we swapped out one of the 2 terrible home series each year for a B1G team, or a better west coast team.
twk
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Yes, and this year they went to TCU. You aren't going to get them to come to the same place every year, and the ones that do travel, aren't always looking for stiff competition (see Mich State).
Bunk Moreland
In the end, we all realize during the MMP years, that tournament gives RC an excuse to load 2 home weekends with a very low quality team.

To avoid situations like this year, he should always try to take one of those scrubs and get a better opponent. If twk is right and there isn't a single B1G school willing to travel down here for a weekend, then go find a better opponent than Brown.

As stated on the thread, I'd rather Sam Houston, UTSA, Rice, DBU, La Tech, than a team from across the country with 7 whole fans(family) that show up to the game.

It won't always work because teams aren't always good at the time you need them to be on a schedule...but some basic attempts to improve the non-con SOS would allow for a scenario where something like this year doesn't happen.
jkag89
fightintxag13 said:

I think a series against DBU would be a good idea with how well their program has performed the last few seasons. I bet we could get away without having to do a home and home. ULaLa is also at the top of my list to see in a weekend series, but then again we'll have to do home and home with them.
While I believe we should schedule better teams both in the way of fan interest and quality of competion for our non-conference weekends than what we saw this season, IMO usually strong within driving distance teams like DBU, Rice, UofH, TCU, t.u., Baylor are best for midweek games. All these teams would be marquee games on the otherwise blah midweek slate. In other words these games would generate interest whether home or away. Taking them out of the equation for weekend series limits what is available for Tuesdays.

Quote:

And I dont care if that means in the Minute Maid year, we have to travel one weekend to make that happen. Minute Miad isn't really traveling anyway.
It is not the travel as far as distance that is a concern but losing a weekend home series. When we were in the Big XII with two extra free weekends there were more options. The 2013 two weekends away from Olsen was probably due to series already agreed upon before we knew we were going to the SEC.
Capt. America
AG
Nebraska. That could be fun.
twk
AG
Capt. America said:

They would want us to go to Lincoln in February, or early March. Not fun.
TXAggie2011
AG
twk said:

Capt. America said:

They would want us to go to Lincoln in February, or early March. Not fun.

No, they probably wouldn't. They play away series every year without return trips.

Some teams return during spring break, but not all.
TXAggie2011
AG
twk said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Yes, and this year they went to TCU. You aren't going to get them to come to the same place every year, and the ones that do travel, aren't always looking for stiff competition (see Mich State).

The point is it's possible to find Big 10 teams that will come down and play without requiring a return trip.
fightintxag13
AG
jkag89 said:

fightintxag13 said:

I think a series against DBU would be a good idea with how well their program has performed the last few seasons. I bet we could get away without having to do a home and home. ULaLa is also at the top of my list to see in a weekend series, but then again we'll have to do home and home with them.
While I believe we should schedule better teams both in the way of fan interest and quality of competion for our non-conference weekends than what we saw this season, IMO usually strong within driving distance teams like DBU, Rice, UofH, TCU, t.u., Baylor are best for midweek games. All these teams would be marquee games on the otherwise blah midweek slate. In other words these games would generate interest whether home or away. Taking them out of the equation for weekend series limits what is available for Tuesdays.

I understand that, but if we're talking about upgrading the schedule, then maybe we oughta do a midweek series with the likes of Baylor, tu, tcu, or DBU similar to what Florida and FSU do. I'm not sure how UF and FSU do it, but you could alternate for the season with 2 at home and 1 away and alternate seasons. There is no reason to continue to put Incarnate Word, ACU, UTRGV, and PVA&M all on the schedule.

I don't think we need to take them all off of the schedule because those can be useful games for some of the younger guys buried on the depth chart to get some game play, but we shouldn't be playing 5-6 games a year against that caliber of opponents.
TXAggie2011
AG
The Florida schools, Carolinas, etc. all have different ways of doing it. You can make it a weekend, you can do home and home in the midweeks, some do home-home-neutral. Just different ways to do it. But they all have figured out how to make it work.
JacobHouse
AG
I think the consensus around a northern/Big10 team (with a solid RPI) not requiring a return trip is spot on. (My vote would be Nebraska)

As a player, you want to play good competition all the time. But you have to think as a college coach, you are looking to do two things: win games as many games as possible; and have your guys playing their best in June.
The strategy comes in as a coaching staff around finding ways to get your best guys AND as many guys, quality innings and at bats that aren't emotionally and physically taxing. Ideally, your team's growth will be linear throughout the season and you push them in a way to have them hitting on all cylinders (pun intended) in the post season.
Trying to peak early with high leverage games in March isn't impossible, but tough to do. In my opinion A&M/Coach aren't in a position where they NEED to toughen their schedule a ton early on; for that it's hard blaming them otherwise.

Quick story - my freshman year at Arkansas we flew to Lincoln for a two game midweek series (back when that was every week) on our spring break, before opening conference in Baton Rouge. I love this trip from a players standpoint because it was an awesome place to play and got us ready to head to Death Valley. The Husker baseball fans are great (very baseball savvy), there's great program history, and they put out solid teams on a consistent basis. Would be interested to see coach something similar - especially with all the NU ties on the current staff
Bunk Moreland
What about a tournament at Olsen? Make it Thurs-Sunday...6 or 8 teams. All teams guaranteed 3 games, and 2 who reach the championship game get a 4th game on Sunday.

You do it with only Texas schools, and having 2 from major conference, 2 mid-level, 2 lower pack, etc.

That not only brings fans from multiple fanbases, but it drives up energy and attention to baseball during an early weekend.
dermdoc
AG
Thanks
dermdoc
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

What about a preseason tournament at Olsen? Make it Thurs-Sunday...6 or 8 teams. All teams guaranteed 3 games, and 2 who reach the championship game get a 4th game on Sunday.

You do it with only Texas schools, and having 2 from major conference, 2 mid-level, 2 lower pack, etc.

That not only brings fans from multiple fanbases, but it drives up energy and attention to baseball during an early weekend.
We used to do that every year. I believe it was called the Aggie Continental Classic.
Bunk Moreland
I remember going to the Aggie classic, etc. about a decade ago, but the teams were from all over the country.

I think making it regionally based would make it more of an event to go to, and playing 3 or 4 games in a weekend against a Rice, UTSA, Sam & LaLa (or even a worse team than one of those 3) at a tournament where you'll have fans from all those schools sounds a lot better than Utah, Wofford, & Brown or something.
MaroonMack
  • FAU or FIU might be good choices since they are frequently in the Top 100 RPI and, especially when we don't play Florida in conference, won't have much schedule overlap that dilutes the RPI benefit
  • Singe game with Oral Roberts - now that they are back in the Summit League, they're pretty much guaranteed to be their conference champion (although their RPI does get dragged down by conference play)
  • What about a 4-game, two team round robin like Miss. State tends to schedule? Seems like those weekends usually have two games against feather-dusters and two against decent-ish teams like South Alabama, San Diego or the aforementioned ORU. It keeps you from having the 3rd game against the sub-200 teams, and would allow you to lighten the midweek schedule late in the year when injuries mount. Northern teams might be more willing to make the trip without a return series if they get 4 games out a single trip. The downside is that a 4-game series will tax weaker pitching staffs (but that is mitigated some because each team would play 4 in the weekend). Don't schedule the 4-game weekend for either opening weekend or the weekend before SEC play starts, and don't schedule 4 against a single team like T.U. and risk getting swept in 4 or having 4 games against a bad team drag you down.
  • There should always be a series against a west coast team because a) there will be little schedule overlap to drag down the RPI (although the team may be truly bad - see 2017 Pepperdine) and b) experience against small-ball teams might help RC win a game in Omaha. Teams that play small ball well can use it the dimensions of TD Ameritrade to mask their offensive deficiencies. Pac-12 teams that make it to the CWS tend to do ok once they get there. A middling Pac-12 team, like Oregon or Washington, would be a good choice (of course you never know in that league how a team will project for the next year).
cef88
AG
So there are what 13 or 14 midweek games? When looking at midweek only here is my wishlist.

2 of
Texas (every year)
TCU
Baylor
These should be before conference

Then I would have
Sam
Rice
Houston
Texas st.
ULALA
DBU
UTA
I would mix these in pre conference and post

Then the last tier would be
Lamar
UTRGV
SFA
HBU
UTSA
Any Louisiana school

This is close to what we have now but I want one more big 12 team, especially cause Baylor is so close. The second tier must be played each year I believe, a couple of those teams in place of ACU and PVAMU would help immensely.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Just remove one of the 2 beatdown series we've scheduled over the past few years and you're already at your solution.

SEC takes care of your RPI.

Tuesday games are made out of whoever is willing to make a bus trip. Other than the recent omission of Lamar, the Aggies have been playing just about every respectable Texas team in recent years. We aren't the only team that has a handful of "bad" games on the RPI. There aren't many teams, even good ones, that make a habit of becoming road warriors midweek for fatigue and money reasons. Just looked at TCU's midweek games, and it looks almost identical to ours.

Sometimes keeping your team at home to play Abilene Christian before you hit the road to play another SEC road series is the better play than scheduling another home and home to make your RPI math prettier.

Tuesdays and weekends are on contracts. We couldn't just "dump" Pepperdine, and even some of the Tuesday teams are in 4 year contracts.

And even if you game RPI after figuring it for hours, the committee may end up deciding that another 2011 or 2015 should happen and it never mattered anyway. Our RPI has been perfectly fine, to the point of putting us in the best position possible, the past 2 seasons and it isn't bad this year.

Just dumping the Ivy series for anyone with a pulse puts you in a great position 9 out of 10 years.
dermdoc
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

Just remove one of the 2 beatdown series we've scheduled over the past few years and you're already at your solution.

SEC takes care of your RPI.

Tuesday games are made out of whoever is willing to make a bus trip. Other than the recent omission of Lamar, the Aggies have been playing just about every respectable Texas team in recent years. We aren't the only team that has a handful of "bad" games on the RPI. There aren't many teams, even good ones, that make a habit of becoming road warriors midweek for fatigue and money reasons. Just looked at TCU's midweek games, and it looks almost identical to ours.

Sometimes keeping your team at home to play Abilene Christian before you hit the road to play another SEC road series is the better play than scheduling another home and home to make your RPI math prettier.

Tuesdays and weekends are on contracts. We couldn't just "dump" Pepperdine, and even some of the Tuesday teams are in 4 year contracts.

And even if you game RPI after figuring it for hours, the committee may end up deciding that another 2011 or 2015 should happen and it never mattered anyway. Our RPI has been perfectly fine, to the point of putting us in the best position possible, the past 2 seasons and it isn't bad this year.

Just dumping the Ivy series for anyone with a pulse puts you in a great position 9 out of 10 years.
Blue star sir.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Other than the recent omission of Lamar, the Aggies have been playing just about every respectable Texas team in recent years. We aren't the only team that has a handful of "bad" games on the RPI.
Yes, we've played the respectable programs. But we've not been playing most of the better programs with any regularity.

Yes, we're not the only team with a handful of bad RPI games. But the numbers are what they are and on the whole, our schedules have been pretty weak.

This year, right now, our non-conference SoS this is 213. Only 3 of the 34 teams ahead of us in the RPI have a non-conference RPI below 114. Only 2 are below 136. Those are:

Louisville at 236. (They still have midweek games with 28 Vanderbilt and at 23 Indiana so their SoS will likely improve a good amount.)

Virginia at 205.

South Florida at 136. (They still have midweek games at 6 Florida, vs 69 FGCU, and at 74 Jacksonville so their SoS will also likely improve a good amount.)

If you look behind us, only 2 other teams in the top 55 have a non-conference SoS below 125. That's St. Johns at 251 and Mercer at 216.

From a non-conference RPI standpoint, we are at 59. No one in the top 17 of overall RPI has a non-conference RPI worse than 25. Only 5 of the 34 teams in front of us have a non-conference RPI of 40 or worse.

cdowl38
AG
Why can't we just play tu twice? One home and one away on Tuesday's?
Radiant
AG
I love that idea.

Several SEC schools play an OOC rival in three midweek games throughout the year. FSU v UF, UK v Lousiville, Georgia v Georgia Tech. If there was room in the schedule it would be great to do that with Texas.
dermdoc
AG
cdowl38 said:

Why can't we just play tu twice? One home and one away on Tuesday's?
I personally do not want to play them in anything but that is just me.
W
AG
we'll know in a few weeks what the non-conference schedule will ultimately cost A&M.

will be interesting to see if that prompts Childress to make changes to his scheduling philosophy if the Ags end up in a road regional despite winning 18 or 19 conference games
W
AG
and speaking of Louisville (38-6)...will the committee give them a free pass for their mediocre SoS numbers?

or do the Cardinals still get a national seed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.