Why does Vandy not have a softball team?

9,968 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by heddy Lamarr
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I know why some of the snow belt schools don't, but Vandy?
The Lost
looks like they have bowling and lacrosse instead, no clue on the origin of those or why
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
Possibly cheaper to run.
Luke The Drifter
AG
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Isn't there also one SEC school that doesn't play volleyball?
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
SA-AG72
AG
Why do the Ags have a club level gymnastics team but don't participate in SEC gymnastics?
Zombie
Why don't we have Men's soccer???
Aftermath
AG
I think Ole Miss has no swim team. The one that baffles me( not SEC) is SMU with no Baseball... Seems it would be their go-to sport in the area that they are located
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
monarch said:

I know why some of the snow belt schools don't, but Vandy?

Title IX. Plus misogynists.
Kemo Sabe
We need to get going with a women's gymnastics team. It is a big time sport in the SEC with significant tv coverage. LSU and Florida had a total of 6 gymnasts from Texas on their teams. It looks like between 13-15 gymnasts on each team. It doesn't look like we are ever going to do anything in men's swimming, drop it to club sport and use the scholarships in gymnastics.
tgray99
AG
It all has to do with Title IX. They can't add a men's sport without a women's.
nereus
AG
Kemo Sabe said:

We need to get going with a women's gymnastics team. It is a big time sport in the SEC with significant tv coverage. LSU and Florida had a total of 6 gymnasts from Texas on their teams. It looks like between 13-15 gymnasts on each team. It doesn't look like we are ever going to do anything in men's swimming, drop it to club sport and use the scholarships in gymnastics.
The math doesn't work out on that financially though. For starters, women's gymnastics has 12 scholarships while men's swimming only has 9.9 so you would have to find scholarship money for 2.1 more.

Then you have facility costs. If you are going to keep the women's swimming and diving team I am not sure you save that much money since they share a facility. You still have to operate a pool (and they share that cost with the general students).

What does our club gymnastics program's facilities look like. When I was there they were in G-Rollie tucked away in a room that was a maze to get to. They certainly couldn't host a SEC meet there. Is their new facility that good or are you talking about building an entirely new facility?
monarch
S
SMU lost their baseball team to Title IX a bunch of years back. Does SMU have a track and CC program?
monarch
S
I think Colorado runs a skiing program but no baseball or softball and something about not running a track program but they do have a CC program.
monarch
S
Correction on Colorado; they do have M & W track & CC and women have soccer, tennis & golf plus men have golf and skiing
wareagle044
nereus said:

Kemo Sabe said:

Is their new facility that good or are you talking about building an entirely new facility?

Auburn gymnastics competes in the basketball arena. The team can work at a local gym somewhere and compete on campus at little cost, I would imagine.
twk
AG
monarch said:

SMU lost their baseball team to Title IX a bunch of years back. Does SMU have a track and CC program?
No men's track or CC. They do, however, play men's soccer.
histag10
AG
monarch said:

Didnt SMU pretty much lose a whole lot after the football death penalty? I thought most of their programs went south quickly after that, much like Baylor now.
twk
AG
histag10 said:

monarch said:

Didnt SMU pretty much lose a whole lot after the football death penalty? I thought most of their programs went south quickly after that, much like Baylor now.
SMU dropped baseball several years before that. Basically, they didn't have a facility (they were playing in a Dallas city park, sort of like UCLA does), so it was an easy sport to cut when they were trying to make ends meet.
AGGies0311
What sports would you add?

You would have to think about the rest of our conference and the sports they have... a gymnastics team would fit in fine.

Missouri has a wrestling team. Alabama has Rowing.

It also comes down to money.
Capt. America
AG
1) Add Gymnastics for the women
2) Add Men's Soccer
3) ?????????
4) Profit
AGGies0311
Why add Men's Soccer? What other SEC schools have that sport?
Capt. America
AG
Kentucky
W
AG
one thing Byrne got right...was not adding gymnastics.

and I believe he said that the cost for treating injuries is right there with football. Crazy expensive from a medical standpoint
W
AG
at the moment we're a little more concerned with Vandy baseball (this weekend's opponent)
AGGies0311
Who else?
Capt. America
AG
Also South Carolina.
AGGies0311
Per student athlete we spend more on Basketball than any of the other sports. Look at the coaching staff for the BB teams, they have 4 Assistant Coaches for 16 players.

Men's swimming... 2 Coaches (Head and Assistant) for 22 Athletes.
Men's Baseball....4 Coaches (1 head, 2 Assistants, 1 Vol. Assistant (Not paid)) for 34 Athletes
AGGies0311
Women's BB 4 Coaches (1 Head 3 Assistants) for 12 Athletes
wareagle044
2/7Marine0311 said:

Why add Men's Soccer? What other SEC schools have that sport?

South Carolina
TXAggie2011
AG
South Carolina and Kentucky have men's soccer.

10 of the 14 SEC schools have at least one non-SEC sport.

A&M doesn't sponsor a non-SEC sport, but there isn't a reason why we couldn't if we wanted to play a sport.

I think we could make a pretty good case to the American Conference to include us in men's soccer.
TXAggie2011
AG
And also, I would think if Florida, for example, can handle 21 sports, we could handle more than the 20 we currently have.

Women's gymnastics would be great to have. We are strong at the club level and gynmnaatics is strong in this state.
LSU Baseball Fan
Many LSU alumni like me having been pushing for a men's soccer program for a while, but I don't think it'll ever happen unless football scholarships become exempt from Title IX.

LSU had great programs in men's wrestling and men's gymnastics before Title IX killed them. In fact, Title IX singlehandedly stopped the growth of wrestling in the South.
wareagle044
LSU Baseball Fan said:

Many LSU alumni like me having been pushing for a men's soccer program for a while, but I don't think it'll ever happen unless football scholarships become exempt from Title IX.

LSU had great programs in men's wrestling and men's gymnastics before Title IX killed them. In fact, Title IX singlehandedly stopped the growth of wrestling in the South.

SEC had some great wrestling programs. Auburn was a great wrestling school before it was cut. I think the SEC would be a great spot for D1 wrestling programs
Buford T. Justice
AG
If athletic departments were truly managed like a for profit entity, the first things to go would be:

1. The track program. (HUGE money loss)
2. Swimming & Diving. (Not huge, but noticeable money loss)
3. Women's basketball. (Noticeable loss, but the possibility is there to find a way to minimize the damage.)
twk
AG
Women's basketball actually has the potential to break even. You already have the facility, so the sunk costs are minimal. It is, in fact, the first women's sport any school (with men's basketball, and what schools don't have that sport) would add if starting from scratch.

Track and swimming/diving are easy to cut because they require their own facilities (although I guess there are a few dinosaurs out there that still have the track around the football field). Golf doesn't really require any facilities (usually played off campus), and most tennis programs get by using facilities built (at least in part) for some other purpose (every campus has tennis courts, whether they have a tennis team or not). If it weren't for the medical expenses, gymnastics would benefit from using the same facility as basketball/volleyball, but the medical expenses are staggering, apparently.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.