What's happened to after-game traffic control

5,733 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BQ_90
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Somebody's gonna get run over. Need somebody directing traffic.
jkag89
And supposedly this is the reason they began charging for parking, to pay for traffic control after games. I get just taking the money for low attendence midweek games but there is no excuse for not having the crew out there this afternoon.
two93ags
AG
I just got rear-ended in the parking lot by an Ag that didn't like having to let us in front of him in the line to get out.
BQ_90
AG
They spent the money on the cop telling everyone to use the sidewalk before the game
Buford T. Justice
AG
two93ags said:

I just got rear-ended in the parking lot by an Ag that didn't like having to let us in front of him in the line to get out.

Nothing could ever top actions like that as an indicator of a person with an inferiority complex. Sorry for your troubles.
two93ags
AG
Not going to let it ruin my day. Got to Olsen for the 1st time this season. Got to eat dinner with my son and he's doing really well.
Bondag
AG
Not sure why no traffic control on baseball, but they were there for basketball. First baseball game I made it to so I don't know if that was a one time thing or not.
Jimbos christmas tree
Have a friend that works traffic for TAMU. He told me they were only working traffic for opening weekend and a few of the big SEC matchups. Said he has no idea why, but that he was told that's how it was going to be this season.
farmrag
Also, what's this 12th man top 100 parking at Reed. You would think they already have parking at Olsen. I'm still mad about getting bumped from Olsen and having to park at Reed. The walking doesn't hurt us but it just the principle of it. Loyalty to the baseball program gets no respect anymore.
Sea Gull
AG
That's why you always have a cooler full of beer in the truck/car. Crank up the tunes and wait it out.
75AG
AG
We've always used both lanes to exit Olsen after the game. Always. For years. But yesterday the gate attendant said that lane had to be open as a basketball parking entrance. 2 hours before tip-off, with nowhere to park in that lot because it's trying to EMPTY OUT.
sellthefarm
AG
I was wondering the same thing Friday night. You couldn't get out of reed because of the steady flow of pedestrians. If that continues someone will get hit by years end.
W
AG
just wait until the 3,000-bed mega-dorm on Bush is finished and fullly occupied.

it's going to be a traffic nightmare everyday all day at the Olsen Blvd / Marion Pugh / Bush intersections
mullokmotx
AG
Should at least be some traffic control at pedestrian crossings.
CharlieBrown17
AG
BQ_90 said:

They spent the money on the cop telling everyone to use the sidewalk before the game

Along with the 100 ft of fencing to make you go down and use the cross walk.

We all managed to live without it before dammit.
The Debt
CharlieBrown17 said:

BQ_90 said:

Along with the 100 ft of fencing to make you go down and use the cross walk.

We all managed to live without it before dammit.

Monied Ags don't like lolpoors walking by our cars.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Not sure what you meant by your post. Sorry anyone gets hit. There was no traffic control and it was pretty much depending on everyone being courteous.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
ensign_beedrill
AG
And now they're charging for lot 61 which I've used for years. It was free on the weekends, but not anymore I guess. Charging more and providing less.
BQ_90
AG
Did they charge today? They've charged their before when there has been MBB game on same day
ensign_beedrill
AG
Yes. I thought it was just because of basketball the previous two Saturdays as well, but when I got there on Sunday, they were set up at 61.
75AG
AG
I emailed the traffic department. I'll post their response when/if they respond.
BQ_90
AG
not surprised, they can hire a student to sit there for couple hours, pay him $40-$50, all they need to break even is 10 people to park there.

next lot to try might be the lot by the greenhouses north of Kyle.
75AG
AG
Day 2 and no response to my email.
dchack1971
AG
If have not already figured it out here it is for you . A&M has changed in the last few years . No maters if it is concessions. Traffic management , commitment to those who have supported in the past , now the only thing it cares about is show me the MONEY ! So Sad !
BQ_90
AG
dchack1971 said:

If have not already figured it out here it is for you . A&M has changed in the last few years . No maters if it is concessions. Traffic management , commitment to those who have supported in the past , now the only thing it cares about is show me the MONEY ! So Sad !
It started around 1877
75AG
AG
Can't attend tonight's game. But would like to know if there's any change/improvement.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
Aggie Baseball fans,
I was surprised by the crowd size and the traffic demands during the P'Wave weekend. In previous years, we needed traffic staff for opening weekend and for SEC games, but rarely for any other games. We've heard from many of you that you're not 'interested' in our help when traffic volume is expected to be light. So I planned for traffic assistance on entry, but not for exiting time.

That weekend was a reminder that the Aggie Baseball team is popular and I should expect larger crowds this year. My future planning will pay more attention to the scouting reports. We will have traffic staff this weekend.

I've instituted some changes to traffic and pedestrian routes this year. I know some of you don't like the fences, but channeling pedestrian traffic to a few places makes it easier and safer on the streets and in the parking lots.

For those of you suggesting that fans will be hurt in traffic, I ask two things.
1) who are these people who value travel speed over safety of Aggie baseball fans? (they aren't wearing the same ring I have)
And 2) lets chill on the hyperbole - Aggies were able to get out of parking lots without mayhem for many years before we began working traffic.
There will be other days and nights without traffic control, please be careful.

Gig 'em
Gameday Traffic Guy
75AG
AG
Traffic Guy,

Thanks for your response on this thread! The promised response to my personal email, never materialized. So again, thanks for talking time to comment. Now let me comment on your two concerns:

1) who are these people who value travel speed over safety of Aggie baseball fans? (they aren't wearing the same ring I have)

At the intersection of Olsen Blvd and Tom Chandler Dr., and the exit from Parking Lot 100J, you have pedestrians crossing 5 different ways: each corner and diagonally. No one values speed over safety, and quite honestly, that's a ridiculous statement. One traffic control person at that intersection would protect pedestrians..

And 2) lets chill on the hyperbole -

You could stop with the condescension.

Maybe someone from your department could actually come out to Olsen after a game and see what a real traffic cluster mess looks like. Until then, we'll continue to drive carefully.
jkag89
Quote:

Aggies were able to get out of parking lots without mayhem for many years before we began working traffic.
1) There is a lot more general traffic on the west side of campus than there use to be.
2) The reason given for why it became necessary to charge for parking was for traffic control. The idea that it would not be necessary for any weekend game is an extreme oversight.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
1. I've been attending Aggie Baseball games as a season ticket holder for over 25 years.
2. As I said, I made a mistake in not having traffic control for the Wave weekend. We have fixed my error for the remaining weekends.
3. We try to work traffic efficiently but we also need drivers and pedestrians to accept some responsibility - most people seem to understand that.
4. Please let me know how you think the pregame and postgame plan is working. As you are aware, we tweak these plans often.
Thanks for the input.
GTG
trouble
AG
I mean, we crossed the streets and parking lots without mayhem for years too but now we have fences.

Your tone leaves a lot to be desired.
75AG
AG
Let me help you. Again.

At the intersection of Olsen Blvd and Tom Chandler Dr., and the exit from Parking Lot 100J, you have pedestrians crossing 5 different ways: each corner and diagonally. One traffic control person at that intersection would protect pedestrians..
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
Let me answer again
We have that covered. I cant go back in time.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
Just trying to make things better.
Is it better when we have traffic staff there?
trouble
AG
Yes but the fences are still awful

And to be clear, I was super annoyed with them during football season as well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.