Old man ranting about lost/changed traditions

5,494 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tonytx05
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you compare it to 2007?
HoustonAg2106
AG
TexasRebel said:

Opening weekend 2007? Absolutely. Regionals in 2007? No.

This was just against Bowling Green and the games were way out of reach early...wait for competitive SEC games in March and April, it will be even better than this weekend.
Wildman15
AG
Dang. Almost thought this was on the football forum
woodometer
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

I've not seen anything that says students have lost seats, that students have/will be relegated to the grass, etc.

GA does not mean student only seating; when I have sat up there, a majority of the folks sitting there do not appear to be students- unless they are really old PhD candidates.

Students can get there early enough to own the GA section if they want to.

The 12th Man Foundation funds all of the athletic teams for the University- so technically you are correct, every dollar counts. Only two sports make any money- football and men's basketball- they help pay for everything else.

For instance, in one of the best baseball seasons in a whole, where lots of tickets were sold, where we hosted a regional and super regional, we lost ~$200K- and this one one of our better years financially.

Women's basketball pretty much eats up everything the men's team brings in.

And we haven't even started talking about two track teams, two tennis teams, softball, equestrian, etc.- none of which generates revenue.

BQ76 you say that you haven't seen anything that says students have lost seats. If you remember back in the Olsen Field days the 3rd base upper deck and the first base upper decks were all GA/Student seating. During the Byrne years when ticket prices went up several sections on the 3rd base side changed to reserved. Then after the renovation only sections 201-204 and the lawns remained GA/Students. Now this year TMF took away two more sections in the upper deck leaving now only sections 202 and 203 as GA/Student sections. So clearly the students are losing seats in the upper deck.

There is plenty of talk and rumors that 202 and 203 will be changed to reserve when the next renovation occurs and GA/Students will all be pushed out to the lawns ans new outfield seating. When that happens the atmosphere at Blue Bell Park will be just like it is at Reed Arena. Very Generic.

I feel very confident when I say that there have always been and continue to be those within the TMF and administration that would love to make Blue Bell Park in their mind more "family friendly". Getting all of the "Raggies" out of the main stands does two things, raises more dollars with higher priced reserved tickets and gets everything under control.
Icecream_Ag
S
The same people that have no issues with this are the same people that want to cut students tickets to football and move all of them to the top of the endzone because money
TexasRebel
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

TexasRebel said:

This was just against Bowling Green and the games were way out of reach early...wait for competitive SEC games in March and April, it will be even better than this weekend.

Opening weekend of 2007 followed 2006.

Just in case that was lost.
HoustonAg2106
AG
TexasRebel said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

TexasRebel said:

Opening weekend of 2007 followed 2006.

Just in case that was lost.

I'm really not sure what you're point is, but all I was saying that the atmosphere this weekend was great and that was just against Bowling Green.
TexasRebel
AG
2006 was bad and still had decent atmosphere... guess why.

Opening day 2007 was holdover from that disastrous season.

Regionals 2007 had the bandwagon.
Ag 11
AG
I always bang on the bleachers
The Debt
Ag 11 said:

how long does it take him to finish?
twk
AG
I seem to recall a bunch of folks on this board blowing a gasket when they tried to reserve the upper deck GA for students back in 2012. While there is a lot of concern expressed for students, it seems the real thing driving most of the complaints is non-students who want to be able to buy GA tickets but sit in the grandstand.
OnlyForNow
AG
You serious Clark?

You don't realize that GA is the reason Aggie Baseball is fun and different?

You've gotta be kidding.

Also, GA seating has been reduced every year since the renovation was complete.
monarch
S
HEB ice cream is way better than Blue Bell. Give the Blue Bell away.
mongey donk
AG
The Debt said:

Ag 11 said:

how long does it take him to finish?
tonytx05
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

I'm really not sure what you're point is, but all I was saying that the atmosphere this weekend was great and that was just against Bowling Green.

There is no point. There never is one, just arguing until staff locks the thread.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.