Talked to a assistant coach recently and the expansion to BB Park is happening.

26,609 Views | 319 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasRebel
BrandoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Somewhere close to 9 million in expansions. Outfield concourse, grilling setups in outfield, outfield seating, the works. I believe he said it will be at 8,000 capacity. Money already at hand, Childress just wants to be nice and have the softball field and track facility built first.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Outfield concourse. I love being able to walk around the whole field.
MMantle
AG
So, the anticipated / estimated start date is, when?

RR
BrandoC
AG
From what I got out of it, should be finished 2 years from now. Want to make sure both the new track and softball stadium are done first.
zagman
AG
Great news! We need seats and 8000 will not be enough.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
W
AG
did he say anything about getting to Omaha in 2 years?
Astrobo
AG
Would be interested in how they get that done considering there is not much room outside of the fences considering the Rec Center expansion and railroad easements in right field. $9 million is a healthy addition.
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

did he say anything about getting to Omaha in 2 years?

Good one...

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
OnlyForNow
AG
More room between the outfield wall and the RR easement than you think.
BQ_90
AG
well they haven't flipped any dirt yet for softball, I just hope they don't use the Rec center schedule for softball.
TexasRebel
AG
so... hiding the train?
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
BrandoC said:

Somewhere close to 9 million in expansions. Outfield concourse, grilling setups in outfield, outfield seating, the works. I believe he said it will be at 8,000 capacity. Money already at hand, Childress just wants to be nice and have the softball field and track facility built first.
Yep.

I'll be catching bombs and getting bombed in the outfield! Alcohol will be allowed.
Captain Pablo
AG
This is great news, if true
Captain Pablo
AG
BrandoC said:

From what I got out of it, should be finished 2 years from now. Want to make sure both the new track and softball stadium are done first.

So the renovations will be done by the beginning of the 2019 season?
dermdoc
AG
I need to work harder as I want the dermdoc deck naming rights.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
greg.w.h
AG
dermdoc said:

Must be named "dermdoc"...
W
AG
my one comment about expanding seating to the outfield...please don't turn BBP into a bandbox.

no 390 centerfield or 365 power alleys and such. No, no, no...
TexasRebel
AG
Finally.
Aggieangler93
AG
Dermdeck?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
twk
AG
dermdoc said:

I'm thinking the Collins Cabana has a nice ring to it.
Tex100
AG
Too late for Derm's Berms
ensign_beedrill
AG
I like it!
Captain Pablo
AG
BrandoC said:

Did you get any more details? Are they expanding seating down the lines? Where the Berms currently are?

I hope they do that with concrete stands that conform to the existing structure.

twk
AG
I can't see them ever replacing the RF berm with seats. LF is a little less clear to me, but they did attach a name to it in the renovation, so they would have to appease that donor.
Captain Pablo
AG
twk said:

I can't see them ever replacing the RF berm with seats. LF is a little less clear to me, but they did attach a name to it in the renovation, so they would have to appease that donor.

If capacity is increased to 8,000, where will the additional 3000 seats be? Or does the 8000 include the berms

In any event, where will new seating be? Outfield?
twk
AG
I'm assuming that when they say capacity will be 8,000, they mean capacity, not seats. Right now, capacity is about 6,900 when the berms are full, so space for another 1,000 or so in the outfield (whether that's traditional seating or something else, who knows) is what I'm expecting.
Captain Pablo
AG
twk said:

I'm assuming that when they say capacity will be 8,000, they mean capacity, not seats. Right now, capacity is about 6,900 when the berms are full, so space for another 1,000 or so in the outfield (whether that's traditional seating or something else, who knows) is what I'm expecting.

That would be fine

Would take some pressure off the line seats, and make room for those of us who hate outfield and end zone seating
Hop
Staff
AG
I've heard that the 3rd base berm will be transformed into seating. Why anybody thought that taking seats out and replacing it with berms for a sport that goes from February-May was a smart idea is beyond me.
Captain Pablo
AG
Hop said:

I've heard that the 3rd base berm will be transformed into seating. Why anybody thought that taking seats out and replacing it with berms for a sport that goes from February-May was a smart idea is beyond me.

Been saying the berms were a horrible idea since day 1
sharpdressedman
Captain Pablo said:

Hop said:

I agree. Perhaps there was a shortage of funds to do otherwise?
Hop
Staff
AG
sharpdressedman said:

Captain Pablo said:

Hop said:

They incurred cost to take out the bleachers that sat 1500 and landscape a berm.
TXAggie2011
AG
The berms were/are a cost effective way to allow more capacity without spending big bucks to build seats that would be empty for about 2/3rds of he season. They're a great spot for casual fans and I know folks that really enjoy going out and sitting on the berms and enjoyed Texas' late "winter"/spring/summer weather. They've been used over the years by many of the ballparks folks idolize as those ballparks gradually grew into what they are today.

"Removed" what seats, Hop? That uncomfortable, terrible view of the infield eyesore that were the right field bleachers?

I'm all for adding in real, permanent seats but I don't think there was anything wrong with constructing the berms.
TXAggie2011
AG
Hop said:

sharpdressedman said:

Captain Pablo said:

Hop said:

They incurred cost to take out the bleachers that sat 1500 and landscape a berm.
They weren't going to spend all that cash on the new ballpark and leave the aluminum out there to sit empty for much of the season.

Removing them and putting in the berm was surely a small cost compared to removing them and building more permanent seating.
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

The berms were/are a cost effective way to allow more capacity without spending big bucks to build seats that would be empty for about 2/3rds of he season. They're a great spot for casual fans and I know folks that really enjoy going out and sitting on the berms and enjoyed Texas' late "winter"/spring/summer weather.

"Removed" what seats, Hop? That uncomfortable, terrible view of the infield eyesore that were the right field bleachers?

I'm all for adding in real, permanent seats but I don't think there was anything wrong with constructing the berms.
Adding the berms wasn't the problem. Berms are a good auxiliary area for the summer months. But the problem was A&M removed 2000 fixed seats in a $15 million renovation and partially replaced those lost seats with what is in essence auxiliary GA seating. Nobody from outside the local area is going to pack up the family on the day of the game without tickets in hand to wait in line to hopefully get a piece of grass to sit on. If you don't get there early enough, you are left to stand the whole game in the concourse. It's a bad set-up if you are trying to grow season ticket holders and grow a consistent fan base. In the context of the project, the berms in lieu of real seating was a bad idea. The fact that they are planning to spend another $10 million just 4 years after the last phase opened tells you the project didn't meet A&M baseball's needs.
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

sharpdressedman said:

Captain Pablo said:

Hop said:

They weren't going to spend all that cash on the new ballpark and leave the aluminum out there to sit empty for much of the season.

Removing them and putting in the berm was surely a small cost compared to removing them and building more permanent seating.

You build capacity to meet your maximum demand, not your minimum demand. An empty bleacher in February is meaningless. You build to meet demand for the 3-4 big conference series in April and May along w postseason considerations. the absolutely worst case scenario for a sports team is a lost sale due to inadequate capacity. Season ticket applications have been turned away in recent years since the renovation, and there are very few single game reserved seats available for SEC series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.