Worst CWS ever...

17,680 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by histag10
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For whom? Those that rely on pitching mistakes and home runs to score?

Hit the gaps (which are bigger) and get long doubles/triples. Next hit scores. Can't string together hits? Enjoy the egg.
HoustonAg2106
AG
But you also don't want a college world series where the scores are in the double digits every game, then it's hard to take it seriously. I can see both sides of the argument.
Rocco S
quote:
Baseball sans home runs is quite fun to watch.
No it isn't.
Rocco S
quote:
But you also don't want a college world series where the scores are in the double digits every game, then it's hard to take it seriously. I can see both sides of the argument.
You're wasting your time. TR hated going to the new ball and LOVED the anemic bunt fest offenses we had under Sawyers
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:
For whom? Those that rely on pitching mistakes and home runs to score?

Hit the gaps (which are bigger) and get long doubles/triples. Next hit scores. Can't string together hits? Enjoy the egg.

That's called baseball, dude. It's about making a pitcher pay when he makes a mistake and being rewarded for it.

These are grown men and they can't even leave the yard from gap to gap. That's a problem.

Seriously, you don't see a problem playing the College World Series in a stadium where flyouts are balls that would be homeruns in 99% of college parks?

Lance Uppercut
AG
The CWS is played in a stadium with deeper dimensions than the average MLB park. That doesn't make a lot of sense.
TexasRebel
AG
Nope.

Plus, how is an extra base hit not "paying"?

If you want to get down to pure baseball, there should be no fence in the outfield.
Rocco S
Pure baseball? In what, 1903?
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:
Nope.

Plus, how is an extra base hit not "paying"?

If you want to get down to pure baseball, there should be no fence in the outfield.

Not too many of that going on. Station to station baseball. OF can play deeper thus cutting off balls before they get by them. It just changes the game the way it has been played the whole season. Why determine your sports championship on a field that doesn't accurately depict the fields they are used to playing on? That makes no sense whatsoever.

TexasRebel
AG
So you're okay with determining it using a format that hasn't been played all year?
TexasRebel
AG
See:
AZ v. oSu playing now.
BoerneGator
AG
Has installing a temporary fence been considered? They did that at Hoover.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:
So you're okay with determining it using a format that hasn't been played all year?

Not really a good comparison. The format is a necessary evil since every small conference in the country has to have a rep and we can't play a 3-game set every weekend through August to determine a champ.

Again, why use a field that plays completely different from any field you've played all year? It changes the way the game is played. How does that make sense? That would be like widening or shortening a football field for the CFB playoffs. It changes the way the game is played.
TexasRebel
AG
Just like every other field you might play on during the season, TD Ameritrade fits within the rules. It's no different.

There are no rules governing the distance to the outfield fence like there are rules on field dimensions in football.

Different parks play differently. That's baseball.
Rocco S
If it had short fences and a jetstream blowing out, you'd ***** about it and absolutely would not be saying "that's baseball"
TexasRebel
AG
I'd say it's boring baseball.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Has it occurred to you that you are in the minority? Maybe not. Anyway, I am hearing the PBP guys also saying that there are some problems. Just not hitting the 10 on the meter for me.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Mark Fairchild
AG
Sorry my last post was to you.
TexasRebel
AG
Sure. A minority that includes the group that designed, commissioned, and built the park.
Rocco S
quote:
I'd say it's boring baseball.

So if it's to your liking, that's baseball

If it isn't, it's boring baseball
TexasRebel
AG
Isn't that the argument being used to make the field shorter?
Mark Fairchild
AG
Who are they? Not all designs can stand up to the test of time. I believe this may be one of those instances. There are after all, MISTAKES.
TexasRebel
AG
Mistakes don't get scored unless an error is charged. This is more of a Fielder's Choice.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Touche.
LSU Baseball Fan
Most boring CWS I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot of them. Who decided to rotate the field so that 20 mph winds would be blowing in, giving pitchers a further advantage in an already huge park?

The crowds are tiny compared to usual with no big names like LSU there. Can't imagine viewership is high.
TexasRebel
AG
The games today have been pretty good. Decent plays on defense and a lot of pressure to just get on base.

1 out Solo HR for TCU in the 8th

4-1 CCU
TexasRebel
AG
107 pitches on CCUs starter, Beckwith.

Movement is all but gone. I don't think CCU has anyone to bring in for 5 outs.
Pepe SiIvia
AG
Finally watching the CWS for the first time this year and it just stings. Watching TCU lose right now doesn't even make me happy. This just doesn't feel right.
tk for tu juan
One plus, two extra games this year
Post removed:
by user
TexasRebel
AG
Don't watch Track & Field much, huh?
ProudAg16
AG
The teams that are playing right now are not the best teams in the country, they are just the teams currently playing the best. There is a big difference.

It's baseball and the better teams don't always win.
TyHolden
AG
Rooting for CC
TempleAg97
AG
I usually watch 90 percent of the CWS. I was so invested in this Aggie baseball team in every way, I've not been able to watch a single pitch this year. Doesn't sound like I've missed much.

Loved my visit to the CWS to see the Ags with my sons in 2011. Hope the Ags make it back very soon!
MsDoubleD81
AG
I'm going Coastal

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.