Did Childress have choice words for Schloss afterwards

46,043 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Justice Beaver
Agsroll
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He asked to have it checked before and the ump didn't allow it.

So he asked more demonstratively the next time.

There.
BoerneGator
AG
Perhaps despicable is excessive, but not much. This is amateur baseball, with 18-22 year olds, and his histrionics were designed to unsettle the pitcher, gaining an advantage for his (coach's) players. At the pro level, pretty much anything is fair game, cause the players can defend themselves. Here, not so much.

And I'm done with this BS!
backintexas2013
AG
No doubt it was Bush league. He also knew there would be no retaliation. The ump didn't have the balls to stand up to him. No shock given the ump.
Tanya 93
Wow.
You can tell who just learned A&M has a baseball board from how people who have rarely posted, started attacking swimmer.
dermdoc
AG
Never met swimmerbabe but like her posts. Don't know Schloss but he seems like a great coach. Since I don't know him, can't comment on him personally. The glove thing was total bush league, IMHO, especially in the midst of such a great game.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WGann3
AG
quote:
Wow.
You can tell who just learned A&M has a baseball board from how people who have rarely posted, started attacking swimmer.
No kidding.

I'm with swimmer on this one... It was bush league, but in the grand scheme of things really not that big of a deal. I think Schloss knew it was going to be a suspect move, but at that point in the game was willing to do whatever it took to win, especially if he wasn't technically doing anything wrong. I don't think the fact that millions of viewers were watching on ESPN even crossed his mind, it was just unfortunate it happened in an extremely public fashion.

I don't know a ton about Schloss. I know my TCU family loves the guy, maybe blindly because of the success he's had. I know I lost some respect for him with that move, but I don't hate the guy or anything. Good people do uncharacteristic things in the heat of battle, it happens. And it didn't cost us the game or anything so I say move on.

Just my .02
dermdoc
AG
Oh, and if an opposing Little League coach did that to my son's team, I would have wanted to kick his ass.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rocco S
You could tell the ump didn't want to do it based on the look on his face. However, don't get mad at their coach for doing it. Get mad at RC for not returning the favor in the next inning when we had RISP.
annie88
AG
TCU was only in the super regional because NC State looked like someone doped their Gatorade in the 8th.

TCU sure did not earn that win.

Do you know how many games in baseball and football too for that matter, hell pretty much any sport to a degree, win games they didn't earn? It's just life in sports.

No whining in baseball. some teams get a way with a win. Sometimes its yours and it's awesome, others its the other team or one you hate and it sucks. But it went the way it did. period.
Code Maroon 12
AG
Didn't make a difference. Hendrix finished the inning like a champ without letting it bother him just making Schloss look like even more of a dip****.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
TCU was only in the super regional because NC State looked like someone doped their Gatorade in the 8th.
Is that "against the rules"?
Sex Panther
AG
It was Bush league for sure, but in the end it's not a huge deal worth getting the pitchforks.

Ultimately Schloss just embarrassed himself since the entire baseball world was watching that game and Childress definitely won't forget it anytime soon.
The Collective
AG
If it was a legit concern as Schloss states, the middle of the inning would have been an opportune time to throw his fit and force the ump to check.
AGinHI
AG
quote:
Good people do uncharacteristic things in the heat of battle, it happens.

No.

Good people maintain their integrity in the heat of battle.
WGann3
AG
quote:
quote:
Good people do uncharacteristic things in the heat of battle, it happens.

No.

Good people maintain their integrity in the heat of battle.
I said uncharacteristic things, but I get how you're interpreting my statement. What he did wasn't against the rules and if 1% of him thought there really was something potentially going on with Hendrix doctoring balls and 99% of him was doing it to break up Hendrix's rhythm then I get it. I don't agree with it, I wouldn't have done that in a million years... but it doesn't make Schloss out to be this scum lord that everyone is making him out to be. The sour grapes here is ridiculous.
dermdoc
AG
No sour grapes here. TCU beat us fair and square.
WGann3
AG
quote:
No sour grapes here. TCU beat us fair and square.
I wasn't calling you out Doc!
backintexas2013
AG
I am not going to be mad at Childress for not doing a bush league move. If we play in non-conference next year first guy gets plunked but that probably won't happen.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
...but it doesn't make Schloss out to be this scum lord that everyone is making him out to be. The sour grapes here is ridiculous.
"scum lord"? ...."everyone"?

Hyperbole much? Why don't you point out the sour grapes you refer to? A blanket indictment is gutless.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
Wow.
Agreed- she's been here longer than may of the regulars. That said, swimmer has been a tad insufferable lately... But I agree with her on this, and you can see my post on the first page saying the same thing.

It was a bush league move, but it's whatever. Definitely wasn't the reason the Ags lost. "Cheating" has been in baseball since the 1800s. This is nothing new, and is minor.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:
This thread is making a mountain out of a mole hill imo
Of course, you would think that, because integrity apparently means nothing.

A grown man, accusing a young man, really good college pitcher of cheating means nothing in front of his team, MLB scouts, the 7,000 in attendance, and national television. I am sure you would appreciate your integrity being questioned in front of all of those people.

You should be embarrassed for that excuse of a spineless man, that the only thing he could come up with is to accuse Ryan Hendrix of cheating.

LOLOLOL at you thinking that I don't care about the integrity of college baseball coaches.

Schloss is a good man. You saying otherwise is blowing this situation out of proportion.

He says the kid kept going to his glove in a strange manner. Now, do I think that there is a snowball's chance in hell that Hendrix was using pine tar? No. But if Schloss did and Hendrix really was consistently going to his glove in a fishy way, he has a responsibility to check. The ump did, no harm no foul. I'd be really interested to watch a replay and see just out of curiousity.

If it was just trying to slow the game down, then I agree that its bush league. Totally within his rights and the rules, but dumb nonetheless. Still not a huge deal.

Either way, it doesn't put Schloss' character into jeopardy. He takes damn good care of his players, does a ton of good in the community, and by everything I have seen, heard, and when I have met him, he seemed like a good Christian family man who encourages his student athletes to be the same.

I agree.

I'm interested in those that have such an issue with this...Do you think the same about Pop, and other coaches, that do hack-a-shaq? While it may not be completely apples to apples, it is something that is within the rules, but rubs a ton of people the wrong way.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
This thread is making a mountain out of a mole hill imo
Of course, you would think that, because integrity apparently means nothing.

A grown man, accusing a young man, really good college pitcher of cheating means nothing in front of his team, MLB scouts, the 7,000 in attendance, and national television. I am sure you would appreciate your integrity being questioned in front of all of those people.

You should be embarrassed for that excuse of a spineless man, that the only thing he could come up with is to accuse Ryan Hendrix of cheating.

LOLOLOL at you thinking that I don't care about the integrity of college baseball coaches.

Schloss is a good man. You saying otherwise is blowing this situation out of proportion.

He says the kid kept going to his glove in a strange manner. Now, do I think that there is a snowball's chance in hell that Hendrix was using pine tar? No. But if Schloss did and Hendrix really was consistently going to his glove in a fishy way, he has a responsibility to check. The ump did, no harm no foul. I'd be really interested to watch a replay and see just out of curiousity.

If it was just trying to slow the game down, then I agree that its bush league. Totally within his rights and the rules, but dumb nonetheless. Still not a huge deal.

Either way, it doesn't put Schloss' character into jeopardy. He takes damn good care of his players, does a ton of good in the community, and by everything I have seen, heard, and when I have met him, he seemed like a good Christian family man who encourages his student athletes to be the same.

I agree.

I'm interested in those that have such an issue with this...Do you think the same about Pop, and other coaches, that do hack-a-shaq? While it may not be completely apples to apples, it is something that is within the rules, but rubs a ton of people the wrong way.
Eh, that's not that great a comparison.

Hack-a-Shaq has negative consequences for your team. Guys get in foul trouble quickly, the other team gets in the bonus quicker, etc. Plus, it's a positive for Shaq- he gets 2 free throws. It's definitely a risk to hack-a-anyone.

For him to whine to the umpire and falsely accuse an opponent of cheating is different. There was absolutely no penalty against his team for doing so. And Hendrix didn't get free strikes against the next guy for it. There was no risk for him to do what he did. Hence, it was a cowardly, bush league move.

I get what you're saying, but your comparison is a bad one.
WGann3
AG
quote:
quote:
...but it doesn't make Schloss out to be this scum lord that everyone is making him out to be. The sour grapes here is ridiculous.
"scum lord"? ...."everyone"?

Hyperbole much? Why don't you point out the sour grapes you refer to? A blanket indictment is gutless.

Shouldn't have said everyone, you're right, I exaggerated and didn't expect to be taken 100% literal. But come on with some of this... I get being annoyed with it, but I find a lot of these to just be over the top and just make us look bitter...

quote:
Low Classless move by a jerk tcu coach who lost a lot of creditability after the move. The stunt will not be forgotten by more than just Texas A&M Coaches.

Low class coach representing a Christian School.

quote:
TCU was only in the super regional because NC State looked like someone doped their Gatorade in the 8th. Became a complete clown show. Maybe Shloss should be questioned about that. TCU sure did not earn that win.
Only he could come up with questioning the integrity of our pitcher because he was doing so well. What a joke of a man, spineless jack. He should be embarrassed.
I hope at the coaches meeting at the CWS the other coaches either give him a cold shoulder and refuse to even speak to him or give him the hell he deserves. I hope they question every pitcher he puts in the game. Maybe he has his pitchers using the pine tar, otherwise, why would he even come up with that idea that ours was. Pathetic excuse of a coach, no integrity. Don't ever remember a college coach using that low class move, accusing a opposing pitcher of cheating. I think its Schloss that has his team cheating. Guilty dogs bark.

I hope LSU whips their butts relentlessly.

quote:
Swimmer - you don't know The TCU coach. I do - he was friends with my Father. Dude is an *******. Here is another secret - if we fired RC today, that ******* would be first in line asking about the A&M job. Wants to be either here or Texas so enjoy him while you can. You won't keep him much longer

quote:
A school that has cheated as much as tcu (should have got the death penalty for paying players under Jim Wacker) should be very careful about making false accusations. This is especially true since they purport to be a Christian school and a known tcu troll says the accuser is a Christian coach. Well I watch their actions, not their words, and I wonder.

BoerneGator
AG
Fair enough. Most of that I just ignored; it's the internet hyperbole, and people saying whatever comes to their mind, without reflection (thinking about it first). I mostly ignore posts/posters I don't recognize, as many are simply trolls and/or idjuts to be ignored.
WGann3
AG
quote:
Fair enough. Most of that I just ignored; it's the internet hyperbole, and people saying whatever comes to their mind, without reflection (thinking about it first). I mostly ignore posts/posters I don't recognize, as many are simply trolls and/or idjuts to be ignored.
I hear ya. I rely heavily on sarcasm and (obvious) exaggerations in real life to make a point or tell a story and it tends to get me in trouble from time to time when I put it into text on an A&M message board. Especially when emotions are high after a tough loss.
MagnumLoad
Umpire should have just told the purple turd coach that he was looking at baseballs and had not seen any evidence of pine tar, but that if he did he would go out and check, and then "go back to your dugout and sit down".

Edited to add that I am old, I am still worn out from the game, I am still pissed at many aspects of the game, I still say F the purple turd coach and his players (especially the fish that kept asking for a new baseball when Stubbs was pitching to him), and I am still searching for the tylenol. Did I mention F the purple turds?
Houstonag
AG
The TCU coach knew exactly what he was doing. The ump lost control on this move.

Our pitcher should have gone over the to the TCU coach and showed him his glove and asked him if he wanted to inspect it. Stick it in his face.

If our boys would have just hit better then the game would have been over after nine anyway. Strike outs, and poor swings were the cause of our defeat. Not TCU.
Agsncws
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't agree with it, I wouldn't have done that in a million years... but it doesn't make Schloss out to be this scum lord that everyone is making him out to be. The sour grapes here is ridiculous.

Im squared away with the results of the series and found the action to be in very bad form. It doesn't define who Schloss is as a person and Im certainly in no position to know him at a personal level to make such a judgment (neither is anyone else here, actually). But when it's all said and done I would have been absolutely embarrassed had RC done such a thing and I have no qualms saying the same about Schloss.

It had no bearing on a three game series that was decided by a 6-hour game 3. It's nowhere near as egregious as Stephenson having a pitcher throw at a guy in the on-deck circle or numerous other coaching actions (Holliday says hello). But it was a tacky thing to do and the most visible, memorable action I have of the man going forward.

No grapes. Just observation.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
Our pitcher should have gone over the to the TCU coach and showed him his glove and asked him if he wanted to inspect it. Stick it in his face.
While Schlossnagle deserved such humiliation, Hendrix couldn't afford the distraction, given the magnitude of the game situation. Thought he played it well, considering...
Joe Nobody
Is it bush league for a pitcher to yell at the ump telling him that the run that scored was his fault for not calling his borderline pitch a strike?
TexasRebel
AG
It's bush league for an umpire to call different zones for each team, and suddenly stop calling pitches as strikes.
CharlieBrown17
AG
PabloSerna
AG
Bush league is bush league... TCU Coach did what he did, the unwritten rules be damned. It does, for me at least, change my perception of him. I think they win regardless.

One more piece of rant.. this troll business and this entitlement crap from some of you... Trolling is trolling, it doesn't matter when joined -my opinion. When you interject football to make a point- well, you get my point. And for you entitled, "I've been here forever"... well, get over yourselves.

(steps off soap box)

GIG'EM!!!!!!

WGann3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't agree with it, I wouldn't have done that in a million years... but it doesn't make Schloss out to be this scum lord that everyone is making him out to be. The sour grapes here is ridiculous.

Im squared away with the results of the series and found the action to be in very bad form. It doesn't define who Schloss is as a person and Im certainly in no position to know him at a personal level to make such a judgment (neither is anyone else here, actually). But when it's all said and done I would have been absolutely embarrassed had RC done such a thing and I have no qualms saying the same about Schloss.

It had no bearing on a three game series that was decided by a 6-hour game 3. It's nowhere near as egregious as Stephenson having a pitcher throw at a guy in the on-deck circle or numerous other coaching actions (Holliday says hello). But it was a tacky thing to do and the most visible, memorable action I have of the man going forward.

No grapes. Just observation.
I hear you. I think Schloss was embarrassed, he definitely looked uneasy when the camera panned over him.
trouble
AG
But she wasn't trolling

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.