D1 Midseason Field of 64 Projections

4,947 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by W
McGibblets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
D1 mid-season projections have us as the top national seed hosting UH (2), Southeastern La (3), and Canisius (4). The super would be against the winner of the USC regional

http://www.d1baseball.com/projections/midseason-field-of-64-projection/
AgEng06
West Texan
AG
If it were to turn out like this, that Fort Worth regional is pretty rough for the #4 national seed.

I'd love Houston as the 2 seed in our regional.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Seems like a good projection. The D1Baseball folks did their homework and looked at a map to create as many geography-friendly match ups as possible (just like the NCAA does.)

I just can't help but think that if Texas turns it around and warrants an at-large bid (as D1 is predicting they will), the NCAA would plop them in College Station so fast it would make your head spin.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
The Debt
quote:
If it were to turn out like this, that Fort Worth regional is pretty rough for the #4 national seed.

I was looking at that. That would be a cool Super to watch.
Basketball and Chain
AG
#2 in their poll but #1 overall national seed?
Farmer1906
AG
MJ was talking about being against putting rivals together in regionals.

Since they're not on our schedule anymore, I wouldn't mind it if they're a 2. I don't want them as a 3.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
I just can't help but think that if Texas turns it around and warrants an at-large bid (as D1 is predicting they will), the NCAA would plop them in College Station so fast it would make your head spin.
Not sure about this. Texas will probably bring just as many fans to Fort Worth as they would to College Station. In CS, some games would sell out (thus wasting some of the fan interest). So the overall gate receipts of the two regionals would be greater with t.u. in Fort Worth.
JeffHamilton82
Decent job but the ncaa relies heavily on geography
West Texan
AG
quote:
quote:
Not sure about this. Texas will probably bring just as many fans to Fort Worth as they would to College Station. In CS, some games would sell out. So the overall gate receipts of the two regionals would be greater with t.u. in Fort Worth.

I thought they wouldn't pair up conference members in a regional
EMY92
AG
quote:
quote:
Not sure about this. Texas will probably bring just as many fans to Fort Worth as they would to College Station. In CS, some games would sell out. So the overall gate receipts of the two regionals would be greater with t.u. in Fort Worth.
tu won't go to Ft. Worth to play in a conference foe's regional. They could end up at Dallas Baptist.
backintexas2013
AG
I keep thinking Texas will turn it around too but watching them against OSU they looked sloppy and totally overmatched when trying to hit. Their pitching is strong but they don't hit well. The one thing they have going for them is the Big 12 is horrible. They may get on a streak but that says more about how lousy the Big 12 is.
Agsncws
AG
quote:
Seems like a good projection. The D1Baseball folks did their homework and looked at a map to create as many geography-friendly match ups as possible (just like the NCAA does.)

Im just watching........watching to see if it shapes up for 2 of 3 from Houston, Rice and Texas to end up here. I would not be shocked but there's a long way to go.
Basketball and Chain
AG
I think there would definitely be a draw for the NCAA sending a state school to Dallas to DBU's regional. They have a small park, so sending Texas there might sell out the regional. we won't need that help, so we could take on a flying 2 seed and regional 3 seed with rice to LSU and houston to TCU.
SchizoAg
AG
nm
Tommy Pickles
AG
Anyone know why Maryland is listed as the Aberdeen Regional? Their stadium has lights so is there another reason they can't host at home?
Dr Lane Trowlan
Eesh. Southern Cal would be a tough draw in the Supers. That's a good team. Would much prefer an Illinois or Maryland type.
EMY92
AG
quote:
Anyone know why Maryland is listed as the Aberdeen Regional? Their stadium has lights so is there another reason they can't host at home?
Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium has a capacity of only 2500.

Ripkin Stadium is just a bit nicer and seats 6300:

tjack16
AG
I think we can bank of one (or more) of these teams coming to college station for the Regionals as 2/3 seeds. Houston, Rice, and/or Texas. One or two of those teams will be here I bet
Farmer1906
AG
One was built in 1965 and one was built in 2002.
the_phoenix612
AG
1) A&M
2) Houston
3) Southeastern La
4) Canisius ??

And matched up with the USC regional:

1) USC
2) UC Santa Barbara
3) San Diego State University
4) Sacramento State

That would be most excellent.

I would be surprised if both Louisville and FL State get national seeds, while LSU doesn't. I have UL and FSU as borderline top-10 teams at this point in the season.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
I think we can bank of one (or more) of these teams coming to college station for the Regionals as 2/3 seeds. Houston, Rice, and/or Texas. One or two of those teams will be here I bet

I'm not so sure.

UH didn't play TCU in the regular season. (They went to LSU last year for regionals, and they played them and us at the Classic this year)

Rice didn't play LSU this year (they played us and TCU this year, we went to Rice last year for regionals)

Texas didn't play DBU this year (we played texas last year in Rice regional)

I *think* if there's a way to work it out with travel constraints to avoid repetitive match ups in the regionals, the committee will try to do so.

With a&m, LSU, TCU and DBU all having a decent shot at hosting, I think there's a good possibility we don't see Rice and Texas in our regional for sure, and maybe not even UH. The committee should have plenty of options to give the fans variety.
denied
I had to look Canisius up on Wikipedia to get some info.

Check it out for a laugh. Somebody has been having some fun editing that entry.
W
AG
if the Ags are a national seed...the College Station regional should not be the "Texas-stuffed" regional. Same for TCU. The in-state school that hosts as a "non-national seed" should get the lone star heavy pairings (like what happened to Rice last year)

any 2 of Rice, UH, t.u. in the CS regional would be a rather difficult one.

remember the wildcard in this is the Pac-12. Figure a 6-bid league with 3 regional hosts...so 3 of the teams have to fly east -- they usually land in Oklahoma, Texas, or Louisiana. (see Arizona in CS in 2011)
APHIS AG
Another bracketology:

www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology
Agsncws
AG
Texas, San Diego and Arizona in that list are just bizarre. LSU as the 2 nationally....people love them or hate them.
W
AG
from a pure numbers standpoint...

if A&M, TCU, and Dallas Baptist host regionals...that means 9 teams are needed to fill out those regionals.

looking at Lone Star State schools in the RPI (besides the 3 hosts above):

#30 Houston
#47 Rice

those are the only 2 in the top 50 at the moment. Then there are:

#80 Tech
#83 t.u.

and that's it for Texas schools in the top 100. So unless the Southland tourney winner and/or the SWAC tourney winner are from the lone star state...the selection committee will have to assign between 5 and 7 out-of-state teams to the 3 regionals. That's a lot. Could be some new and interesting matchups

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.