A History of Texas A&M Baseball Through Baseball Cards

79,042 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Mr.Ackar07
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cason Sherrod 2015-

The grandson of former NFL New York Giant Bud Sherrod, Cason appeared in only three games as a true freshman recording three strike outs over three innings. Cason saw a bit more action last year coming into 16 games. He notched the first win of his collegiate career when he came into the top of the 13th inning with A&M down by a run and runners on first and second and struck out the only batter he faced; the Ags came back to beat Houston Baptist in the bottom half with a game-tying triple by Hunter Melton and a game winning walk-off walk by Nick Choruby. Cason went 3-3 with two saves this past summer with the La Crosse Loggers; in his last game of the summer, he struck out the side against Rochester.

George Janca 2016-

George, whose full name is Ignacious George Janca, is the son of former students. His brother, Sam, pitched for Texas Tech and Angelo State from 2007-2010. George started the season as the everyday shortstop before handing control to Austin Homan. During his 26 games, which included 24 starts, he hit .231. His best game came against Stephen F Austin when he went 2 for 4 with three RBIs. This past summer with the Wisconsin Woodchucks of the Northwoods League, he hit .309 with two home runs and 28 RBIs. Look for Janca to man third base to start the season.
Aggieangler93
AG
For some reason most of these images aren't loading.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggieangler93 said:

For some reason most of these images aren't loading.
So some are loading? I know I can see them from multiple computers, but I'm not computer literate enough to know if that means anything. Is anyone else having the same issue?
Aggieangler93
AG
I see images on the first few pages. But for example, for Janca I see a big open space with a grey circle and a line in it. Maybe you don't have images uploaded for all of them? If that is the case, I am probably seeing all you have posted.

Either way....love the cards....keep up the good work!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Mr.Ackar07
Aggieangler93 said:

I see images on the first few pages. But for example, for Janca I see a big open space with a grey circle and a line in it. Maybe you don't have images uploaded for all of them? If that is the case, I am probably seeing all you have posted.

Either way....love the cards....keep up the good work!
Do the Sherrod and Janca cards show up now?
Aggieangler93
AG
Still don't see Janca or Sherrod cards. How odd.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggieangler93 said:

Still don't see Janca or Sherrod cards. How odd.
On page 6, starting about halfway down the page, can you see the Steve Johnigan and Steve Smith cards? Then the Todd Deininger and Coby Mavroulis cards don't show up? And then for some reason the Rafael Pineda card shows up?
Mr.Ackar07
Mr.Ackar07
Stephen Kolek 2016-

The brother of the 2014 MLB 2nd-overall draft pick, Tyler Kolek, Stephen saw action in 12 games as a true freshman. Of his 12 games, Stephen made starts against Prairie View A&M, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, and Abilene Christian. During those starts, he pitched 11 innings allowing two earned runs with 10 strikeouts. This past summer with the Mat-Su Miners of the Alaskan Baseball League, Stephen made six starts throwing 36 innings with 30 strikeouts. It appears that Stephen will start the 2017 season as either the Tuesday night starter or as a long-relief option out of the bullpen.

Cameron "Cam" Blake 2017-

Cam is the son of Cody Blake who lettered with the Texas A&M 1989-1990 basketball squad under Shelby Metcalf. Likened to Nick Banks, Cam is also a left-handed outfielder. During high school he tried out for both the U17 and U18 USA National teams. Cam met with Texags' Ryan Brauninger a while ago to discuss what it meant to become an Aggie. That interview can be found here: https://texags.com/s/18870/texas-am-baseball-signee-cameron-blake-talks-becoming-an-aggie. As one of the few outfield signees from the 2016 class, Cameron will have an important future ahead of him here in the upcoming seasons.
Aggieangler93
AG
If you are pulling images from your google drive, could it be sharing related?
Mr.Ackar07
Aggieangler93 said:

If you are pulling images from your google drive, could it be sharing related?
I think so, but I'm not sure why it worked so well in the beginning compared to now. Do the images from the previous few weeks show up? If I log out of google, most of the ones posted in 2016 show up as grey boxes, but the 2017 images now appear.
Aggieangler93
AG
Scrolling the thread in order, Todd Deininger 2000-2002, is the first one that doesn't work right.

And....BTW...I love that Mitchell Nau card.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggieangler93 said:

Scrolling the thread in order, Todd Deininger 2000-2002, is the first one that doesn't work right.

Guess I need to take a hiatus until I can figure this out. Thanks for letting me know.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggieangler93 said:

Angler - can you let me know if the Choruby card on page 6 as well as the Sherrod, Janca, and Kolek cards on page 7 show up now?
Aggieangler93
AG
Ackar....I see those as f today when I refresh the page.

No images for Cam.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggieangler93 said:

Ackar....I see those as f today when I refresh the page.

No images for Cam.
Awesome. I think I should be able to update all of the broken pictures from pages 6 and 7 then!
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks. I see Cam now. What is that sepia looking image in his?
Mr.Ackar07
That is a printing plate. It takes four plates to make a card; a black, a cyan, a magenta, and a yellow plate. Cam's is the cyan plate. Companies generally pack the four plates into the product as an insert.
Mr.Ackar07
Hunter Coleman 2017-

Hunter is the son of former assistant coach David Coleman who worked under Mark Johnson as the hitting and catcher's coach and is now head coach at Midland College. It should be no surprise then that Hunter should make his mark in Aggieland as a catcher. After growing up in College Station and around Olsen Field, Hunter was dead set to be an Aggie. His younger brother, Ty, is also committed to Texas A&M and could arrive on campus for the 2019 season. Through the young season, Hunter is already hitting .444 with a double, triple, and four runs scored. He has also shown great poise behind the plate with a strong arm.

Logan Foster 2017-

A two-way player in high school, Logan should impact the Aggies with his bat instead of his arm. He can play both the outfield and catcher. Logan is part of the continuing Nebraska baseball pipeline that Coach Rob Childress and Recruiting Coordinator Justin Seely have used in the past, and it didn't hurt that he used to go to the same daycare as Rob's daughter when Rob was still at Nebraska. During fall practice, despite missing a month, Logan was clocked with the fastest bat on the team. As Logan's bat adjusts to the college level, he could be a major power source for the Aggies. He only has one extra base hit through the first four games, but he has barreled up the ball plenty of times in his 12 at-bats.
Aggieangler93
AG
thanks for the info!
Mr.Ackar07
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Henry "Cotton" Pippen

I'm not convinced Cotton Pippen actually played or attended Texas A&M, or, for that matter, 100% confident he didn't either. Most of the A&M facts listed on the internet are from this exact baseball card. The card says he lettered in 2 sports at A&M, but he does not appear in any A&M guides. I was able to talk to his grand niece, and she says that he has a degree from the Texas School of Mines (now known as UTEP), but did not know if he attended Texas A&M or not. Until I can prove otherwise, this card stays in the collection. If anyone here has any support for or against him being an Aggie, I would greatly appreciate it.
I think I can finally convince myself that Cotton Pippen never attended A&M. A man named Louie Heilbroner started one of the first baseball statistic compilations. He would send out index cards to current and former major league players asking for personal information such as playing history, place of birth, birth date, etc. The players would make corrections or fill in the card as needed and mail back. Someone is currently selling a bunch of these index cards they purchased at auction including one sent to Cotton probably in the late 50s or early 60s. In his own handwriting, he lists his college as Texas School of Mines in 1929 which would be when he was 18-19 years old after attending Cisco (sp?) High School. He then signed in 1930 and played semi-pro baseball. According to his grand niece, he received a degree from the Texas School of Mines, so that effectively rules out having attended Texas A&M as either a player or student.

The index card can currently be viewed on eBay: auction
Pro Sandy
AG
Excellent thread.

Good work, mrackar
Mr.Ackar07
Pro Sandy said:

Excellent thread.

Good work, mrackar

Thanks Sandy. Hope you and family are doing well.
Pro Sandy
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Excellent thread.

Good work, mrackar

Thanks Sandy. Hope you and family are doing well.
5 more weeks and I'll be home from the Middle East. Congrats on your engagement!
i is smart
AG
I hope y'all don't mind me bumping this.

I was doing a Google Search on Del Lindsey after reading about him in another thread when this popped up. Thought it was cool!
***Disclaimer***
My in-game comments should not be taken seriously, as I am not a coach. Additionally, unauthorized screenshotting and distribution of my comments is not only discouraged but also considered lame as hell.
Mr.Ackar07
Dad Jokes said:

I hope y'all don't mind me bumping this.

I was doing a Google Search on Del Lindsey after reading about him in another thread when this popped up. Thought it was cool!

Thanks for the bump. I've added a lot to the collection since the last posts, but am not in a position to do updates with two sons under 2 years of age needing attention. I will share one of my biggest additions that happened this year. I was able to track down some CPBL cards of Tony Metoyer that mention Texas A&M in Chinese, so I finally got to add a new language to my connection.

Tony Metoyer 1983-1984

Tony played for the Aggies in the early eighties before being drafted by the Astros. Although drafted as a position player after showing some pop by leading the Aggies in both home runs and RBIs in 1983 and 1984, he was converted to a relief pitcher in the Astros farm system. He spent 5 years in the minors before crossing the Pacific to join the inaugural Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL) season with the Uni-President Lions in Taiwan. He led the CPBL in saves in both 1990 (the first year of the CPBL) and 1991. He would spend seven total years in the CPBL before recrossing the Pacific where he would play in the Mexican League before finishing his playing career with the independent Albany-Colonie Diamond Dogs. In all, he spent 17 years playing baseball in the different countries.

i is smart
AG
Your work on this is much appreciated! I tried to go through my old cards to find Aggies and it was quite tedious. This thread deserves a sticky.
***Disclaimer***
My in-game comments should not be taken seriously, as I am not a coach. Additionally, unauthorized screenshotting and distribution of my comments is not only discouraged but also considered lame as hell.
adbono
McCoveysCove said:

A&M had some great baseball players in the 70's. Be nice to see Kyle Hawthorne, Buster turner, Shelton McMath, Woody Woodruff etc and what they are doing now

Buster was a career coach & HS principal in Tyler/Longview area. He recently retired from public service and now owns & runs a small landscaping company in East Texas.
Shelley made a lot of money in the oil & gas business and now lives in Europe- Austria or Belgium I believe.
Mr.Ackar07
With just a day to go, let's meet the 2024 Fight'n Texas Aggie Baseball Team!

Leading the team will be the senior statesman wearing #12 Ryan Targac:

Manning center field will be All-American Jace LaViolette:

Join LaViolette in the outfield is top transfer Braden Montgomery:

Joining Montgomery from the transfer portal is closer Peyton Smith:

Eldridge Armstrong will also join Smith in the bullpen:

Catching both of these guys is sophomore Max Kaufer:

Manning the hot corner is stud freshman Gavin Grahovac:

Looking to make an impact in the lineup is red-shirt freshman Blake Binderup:

Joining him is fellow red-shirt freshman Justin Vossos:

Looking to fight his way into an outfield spot is freshman Cade Sorrell:

Looking for his turn on the infield is fellow freshman Jack Bell:

Freshman Boots Landry is also waiting for his turn to contribute:

Freshman Jackson Brasseux is looking to help the revamped pitching staff:

Joining Brasseux is fellow freshman left-hander Kaiden Wilson:

Another freshman pitcher, Ty Baker, is ready to contribute as well:

Last but not least is freshman infielder Carl Schmidt:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.