Could Davey Johnson be the first Aggie in the HOF?

6,256 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Foxo
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To have been considered for the HOF ballot this past December, Johnson would have had to meet one of the following two requirements:

quote:
Managers and umpires who have served for at least 10 yearsand are either (a) retired for at least 5 years or (b) at least 65 years old and retired for at least 6 months.

As he retired at the end of the 2013 season, he failed to meet the "at least 6 months" criteria. That said, he should be up for consideration for the 2016 ballot (2017 enshrinement) as the Expansion Era Committee which elects Managers votes every three years.

A quick look at some stats:
1) 1,372 - 1,071 record (ranks 28th all-time with 20 of the 28 in the HOF)
2) .562 winning percentage (ranks 13th all-time, minimum 1000 games, with 11 in the HOF)
3) Twice voted Manager of the Year
4) Finished in the top 3 voting for Manager of the Year 7 times
5) Only 3 teams in 17 years finished with a losing record
6) WS ring with the 1986 Mets
7) 7 of his 12 teams (He managed 5 teams for less than 162 games) finished with 90+ wins with the 1994/1995 strike shortened seasons well on pace for 90+ wins
8) Reached the postseason 6 times; finished in 1st during the 1994 strike season (he managed 8 years when there were only 2 team per league making the playoffs).

He also had a knack for winning with mediocre teams. He took over the Mets in 1984 when they hadn't had a winning season in 7 years. Took over for the Orioles in 1996 when they hadn't made the playoffs since 1983, and took over for the Nationals who hadn't had a winning season since they were the Expos.

His only other competition as manager for the 2016 ballot should be Jim Leyland.

One last item: Bill James thinks Davey Johnson should be in according to this poorly written article.
McCoveysCove
Foxo
AG
I loved to watch Johnson play basketball at A&M. He was a scrappy guard. The team wasn't very good as I remember but they were fun to watch. The forwards were twins and I think the center was Broussard from Beaumont area.
ColoradoMooseHerd
It would be nice to have an Aggie in the Hall of Fame, but I don't see it happening.
ColoradoMooseHerd
regarding Davey Johnson
alamoaggie 64
When Davey Johnson played basketball at A&M, his fish team and the year he was a soph were quite good. Didn't win the SWC but we won it the year that Davey would have been a senior (Shelby's first year)
Foxo
AG
The twins were named Stanley.

1958-1959 --- the twins led Tyler to the national JUCO Championship in 1958 and were both named JUCO All-Americans - Texas TX A&M, 1960-1961Don averaged 13.3 & 7.9 rebounds in 1961 and was named All-SWC in 1961. In 2011 the twins lived in Buna.

The other twin was named Pat.
MROD92
W
AG
looking back...the 1986 Mets were an absolute mess in the clubhouse. That was a remarkable coaching job. I believe only 1 player from that team (Gary Carter) is a Hall of Famer
W
AG
Davey also won a ring as a player with 1966 Baltimore Orioles --- holds the distinction of being the last player to get a hit against Sandy Koufax
BradC34
AG
Fun fact: Davey told me he would have traded one of his World Series rings to win gold at the Beijing Olympics in 08. He coached Team USA, beat Japan, and still only won bronze.
Mr.Ackar07
Davey Johnson has been officially announced for this winter's expansion era draft: http://baseballhall.org/hof/2017-todays-game-era-ballot
Yell Practice
With some more time, it just might happen.
Yell Practice
Davey Johnson's biggest success as a manager was when he led the Mets to the 1986 World Series title. The ball club captured the National League (NL) East under his watch in 1988. The teams he piloted in the three years from 1995 to 1997 all made it to their respective League Championship Series the Cincinnati Reds in 1995 and the Orioles in both1996 and 1997. He later managed the Dodgers and Nationals.
Yell Practice
Good Luck Davey --
Mr.Ackar07
No luck for Davey. Selig and Schueholz were the only candidates elected today.
alamoaggie 64
The Stanley twins were '63 and not on fish team with Davey. The center was Bill Robinette. He was from Pt. Arthur which is why you might have thought Broussard.
Foxo
AG
It was a fun team to watch. Johnson was a real spark plug. I didn't even know he was on the baseball team when I was at A&M.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.