A&M Opened Up the State of Texas to SEC Recruiting

10,361 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by AGBU 94
TPS_Report
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
False narrative is false.

Rascal
AG
TPS_Report said:

Fascinating if true.

Interesting to see the star ratings for the players though, b/c I would imagine that although overall #'s are on par with when we joined the SEC, I still think some of the best players have gone to Bama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia, skewing things a little bit, and we're picking up more of the lower star players (circa pre-Jimbo of course) that would have gone to the lesser programs like Arky, Vandy, Tennessee, Miss State.

Pretty much a wash, but interesting nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!
GrapevineAg
AG
Nice work.

My response to those who claim we did open up the state would be "so what?" We have no obligation to look out for the others schools in the state. And it's hypocritical for them to recruit out of state and then be upset that others are recruiting TX.
coldmoose
Nicely done. Thanks.
texag0928
That is just ridiculous! Now let's look at the Big 12 numbers, especially OU and OSU over that same time span.
TPS_Report
AG
Rascal said:

TPS_Report said:

Fascinating if true.

Interesting to see the star ratings for the players though, b/c I would imagine that although overall #'s are on par with when we joined the SEC, I still think some of the best players have gone to Bama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia, skewing things a little bit, and we're picking up more of the lower star players (circa pre-Jimbo of course) that would have gone to the lesser programs like Arky, Vandy, Tennessee, Miss State.

Ask and you shall receive!

The yellow highlights indicate a year in which the team played for a natty. The blue indicates a year in which the team won a natty.
jokershady
AG
TPS_Report said:

Rascal said:

TPS_Report said:

Fascinating if true.

The yellow highlights indicate a year in which the team played for a natty. The blue indicates a year in which the team won a natty.

This tells a much more cohesive story. You see the # of 5 stars increase from 4 to 6. One would argue that's not much of an increase but there's not many 5 stars to begin with. Have to back it up with more data.

Then take a look at the 4 stars....damn near doubles! And right along with it the # of 3 star recruits decrease because of higher quality players coming out of the state to the SEC than prior years.
TPS_Report
AG
jokershady said:

TPS_Report said:

Rascal said:

TPS_Report said:

Fascinating if true.

This tells a much more cohesive story. You see the # of 5 stars increase from 4 to 6. One would argue that's not much of an increase but there's not many 5 stars to begin with. Have to back it up with more data.

Then take a look at the 4 stars....damn near doubles! And right along with it the # of 3 star recruits decrease because of higher quality players coming out of the state to the SEC than prior years.
But was that due to A&M joining the conference or the success of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU?

Ohio State had 2 Texas recruits from 2006-2012 (zero were 5*). From 2013-2019 they've had 11, including 3 five-stars.

Given that, I would say A&M joining the conference had very little to do with more elite Texas high school players choosing the SEC.
TennesseeVol
That Oklahoma guy on YouTube says the A&M move to the SEC has been a game changer and OU has been the biggest loser. Thinks the better Texas high school players wants to now play in the SEC and there are less of them coming to Oklahoma. He admits the SEC is, by far, the premier conference and says if OU entered the SEC their recruiting would go through the roof.

See why our members need to pull for one another and want each other to have the best of facilities? The more our conference has success the better it is for each school. Don't think that others aren't noticing the SEC's quality, put targets on our backs and covet what we have. You don't think its 'us against them'? You better look again because it is. We've got to keep working together, as a unit, to transcend even higher.
TPS_Report
AG
TennesseeVol said:

That Oklahoma guy on YouTube says the A&M move to the SEC has been a game changer and OU has been the biggest loser. Thinks the better Texas high school players wants to now play in the SEC and there are less of them coming to Oklahoma. He admits the SEC is, by far, the premier conference and says if OU entered the SEC their recruiting would go through the roof.

See why our members need to pull for one another and want each other to have the best of facilities? The more our conference has success the better it is for each school. Don't think that others aren't noticing the SEC's quality, put targets on our backs and covet what we have. You don't think its 'us against them'? You better look again because it is. We've got to keep working together, as a unit, to transcend even higher.
Also a good reason to keep OU out of the SEC if at all possible. Let them go to the PAC with the sips in 2025.
bat61
AG
I didn't see Missouri at least 2/3 of their roster is comprised of former Texas HS football players.
Patriot101
This was said by Texas-Austin when they allowed Oklahoma in this state by playing them in Dallas every year. It's just rubbish rhetoric.
Ugly
AG
There certainly seems to be some truth to this for the 2021 class. SEC teams will have signed between 22-23 of the top 40 recruits in Texas this year; whereas BDF teams will sign between 10-11 (uncertainty based on LJ Johnson's decision). Admittedly though, most of that is Texas A&M and Alabama.

This also is probably just related to the tsips continuing to be increasingly mediocre.
JW
AG
Top players have always left to the top teams.
StrykerAg
AG
bat61 said:

I didn't see Missouri at least 2/3 of their roster is comprised of former Texas HS football players.
Maybe because they left the Big 12 for the SEC with us?

The chart compares how the 12 pre-realignment SEC schools were doing before and after we left.
Budruex3
AG
TennesseeVol said:

Texas playing OU every year opened up Texas to OU, Why aren't the sooners considered outsiders, when it come to recruiting? They act as if they are just an extension of the state.
ccatag
steiner85
AG
Awesome analysis, this was always my question, why would A&M being in the SEC make any difference? So Bama come into a TX kid's house and says "Son, come play at Bama and you will now be able to play against A&M in your home state 2 times in your college career"
AGBU 94
Well...it opened something.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.