Bama Vs UCF Playoff

2,946 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BJC
BTHOtrolls
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the chances UCF makes the playoffs if they don't have a loss? This would be must see television for the comedic value.

Bama +35

Saban would make a statement out of a non tier 1 schedule making the playoffs. It could happen thou
TXAGBQ76
AG
What were the chances last year? Pretty sure it would be about the same this year.
BTHOtrolls
AG
This year is completely different, they started in the rankings, so will continue to move up as they win. Last season, they had too much ground to cover even with an undefeated season.

If Auburn were to beat Alabama and there are not 4 undefeated conference champions... UCF has a very compelling case if for nothing more than ratings. Alabama vs UCF would draw massive ratings, it would be such a good David vs. Goliath storyline.

It's a huge benefit to UCF that Georgia plays LSU and Auburn this season, so losses have to be handed out. With 4 of the top ten teams in the SEC at best only one will come out without a loss. I think it's very realistic that 7 of the current top 10 teams take a loss before playoff selection. UCF gets in if there are not four 4-0 teams especially if Auburn had a strong showing this season.

After looking at the top 10 teams remaining schedule, I put it at better than 25% chance UCF get in.
ClassOf17
UCONN
SCST
UNC - Cancelled
FAU
PITT
SMU
MEM
ECU
TEM
NAVY
CIN
UCF

Give me a break. Play ONE team with a pulse. Anybody. You know there's a few teams that would've been happy to drop a game on their schedule to play UCF after that fit they threw last season.
BJC
AG
No matter the subdivision in Division I football, there should always be a premium on winning your conference championship to have a claim in the postseason; if you do not win your conference title, then the best you can do is hope and wait to be selected.

And we are still wondering why Division I-FCS conferences have been laughing at us in Division I-FBS for quite a long time. In 1978 they too started off as a four-team playoff and expanded as the years went by and they now have this format: each conference champion in Division I-FCS (except the Ivy League, SWAC, and MEAC whom abstains) has an automatic bid to the Division I-FCS playoff and its remaining at-large bids go to the highest-ranked remaining teams in the rankings via the Division I-FCS playoff committee. As the years go by we may eventually incorporate more of Division I-FCS elements at Division I-FBS (as we already did with overtime). If you keep the Division I-FBS CFP at four, why not just have New Year's Eight bowls?

Rose (Big Ten champ vs Pac-12 champ)
Fiesta (Mountain West champ vs at-large)
Cotton (Big XII champ vs at-large)
Sugar (SEC champ vs at-large)
Peach (American champ vs at-large)
Orange (ACC champ vs at-large)
Citrus (Conference USA champ vs MAC champ)
Sun (Sun Belt champ vs at-large)

Two of these NY8 bowls rotate as Division I-FBS semifinal playoff bowls and each Division I-FBS conference champion gets an auto-bid to a NY8 bowl if not in the CFP and the remaining at-large NY8 spots go to the highest-ranked remaining teams in the Division I-FBS CFP rankings.
BJC
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.