Would You Favor Eliminating SEC Divisions?

3,899 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Synopsis
njohn87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EDIT: oops, missed this on the Football board

SB Nation had an interesting thought exercise on how the SEC could eliminate the divisional format while still maintaining most all of the significant yearly rivalries. I think it's unlikely that the conference would make a change like this any time soon, but I think it would be nice to be able to play everyone in the conference at least every other year. I don't feel strongly enough about most of the SEC West that I feel the need to play them every year.

So what do you think, would you be for this, and if so what three games would you want every year. Here's what the article proposed by the way:

skins74
AG
Not in favor of Missouri every year.
Grapes
I would trade Bama, Auburn, MSU, USC, Ole Miss every year for Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy and Florida every other.
mgreen
Yes
themadmatter
Yes, I'd favor it so we could play everyone in a reasonable amount of time. Wouldn't hurt to get an easier game or two each year- the West is ridiculous right now.

For three permanent games, I'd favor Arkansas, LSU and Vandy.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Good Idea, but this is how I tweak it: First, we go to 9 conference games. Everyone gets 5 permanent rivals they play every season (ensuring all major SEC rivalries are protected) and rotate through 4 others every 2 seasons after home and away with the first group. As a student, you would get to see every team in the league home and away at least once during a 4 year career

For us: Arky, LSU, Ole Miss, Bama, Missouri (yeah I know, but we'd most likely be forced to have them being a fellow newb and nobody else really wants them)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Why do you need to tweak it for that? What do you gain.

All main rivalries are maintained with 3 permanent rivals.

And playing those three and rotating the other 5 every 2 years achieves the same effect of playing everyone home and away every 4 years.

5 permanent rivals is called a division. Although not all the same. But it's too much. 3 is good.

We don't really have any history with ole miss or bama and hardly any more with Mizzou.
stexagg
Would like to see 9 conference games, playing three teams in the other division, rotating every two years, like used to happen in the BDF. But not eliminate divisions, no.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Seriously idk why but f playing mizz anytime ever
BiochemAg97
AG
And what criteria do you use to determine who plays in the CCG?
RDV-1992
quote:
And what criteria do you use to determine who plays in the CCG?
I think in this scenario it would be the two best records. With head to head being the first tiebreaker.

But this isn't happening. The SEC + the Big-10 killed a proposal that would allow this last year.
Synopsis
The SEC has the best thing going in CF. Why mess with perfection?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.