Lack of hate

17,875 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by fistofsouth
SchizoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For me, the only problem with the SEC is the difficulty of establishing/maintaining rivalries. This is largely because there is nothing about our foes that is worthy of hate. All of our conference mates are basically good, God-fearing, patriotic, salt-of-the-earth people. None of them are jackasses (with a few exceptions); none of them are overly arrogant or contemptuous or delusional or fair-weather. None of them spend their entire pathetic lives in a fruitless one-man propaganda war against A&M's traditions. None of their fans are likely to throw batteries or vandalize our team buses or tear down their own goalposts and jam them into the visiting fans' section. None of them threaten us with lolsuits when they don't get their way. All of the coaches are competent, respectable men of (presumably) good character that don't tend to act like clowns very often.

I mean give us something to work with here.

Maybe I'm just getting old and mellowing out. Or maybe I'm not paying attention?
91_Aggie
AG
Are you at all not familiar with LSU?
aggieband 83
AG
I invite you to attend the Texas A&M vs LSU game this year. Be sure and wear maroon!
oragator
Just wait.
Ask Alabama about Steve Jelks, ask Fulmer why he avoided going to the state of Alabama. Ask SOS about the cars they drive in Tuscaloosa. Or Harvey Updyke, or ask ole miss whether they like Houston Nutt, LSU whether they like Saban at Bama etc. heck ask Fulmer's wife whether she ever wants to go back to Gainesville.
It's only a matter of time before you get sucked into one of these debacles.
AggBock
AG
I think we are going to be the one being hated. Not beating someone year after year breeds hate. Arkansas has lost 4 straight to us. We have lost 3 to LSU. Just a matter of time.
Little Rock Ag
AG
quote:
I think we are going to be the one being hated. Not beating someone year after year breeds hate. Arkansas has lost 4 straight to us. We have lost 3 to LSU. Just a matter of time.
Yep, go to Hogville and read the comments about the so-called crooked officiating that put the Hogs down. They think we managed to put the refs in our pocket for that game, which is incredibly laughable considering all the missed holding calls against their OL.

And, LSU..well, they just suck because they are LSU. Reach down inside...breath deeply, and it will come to you.
Sam the Sham 2
quote:
4 straight to LSU.
theycallmespork?!
AG
[url] http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/week-5-who-to-root-against/ [/url]
DRDave
Arkansas fans are the worst fans that I have ever been around. BackA$$ first cousins marrying each other morons.
West Point Aggie
AG
Yikes...comes across as if OP wants back in the BDF...is "enough hate" a good enough reason to miss that cluster?????
Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
You need cross the Sabine River
LoneStarBQ
AG
quote:
Arkansas fans are the worst fans that I have ever been around. BackA$$ first cousins marrying each other morons.
I beg to differ. I have been to Arkansas and LSU. LSU is by FAR the worst!!
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
Just wait.
Ask Alabama about Steve Jelks, ask Fulmer why he avoided going to the state of Alabama. Ask SOS about the cars they drive in Tuscaloosa. Or Harvey Updyke, or ask ole miss whether they like Houston Nutt, LSU whether they like Saban at Bama etc. heck ask Fulmer's wife whether she ever wants to go back to Gainesville.
It's only a matter of time before you get sucked into one of these debacles.
We already kinda were - but to a much lesser hate quotient - by those sip d-bags who put up that billboard in Gainesville before we played you guys in 2012. A-holes, extraordinaire.
TheDoctor
AG
I loathe LSU
I loathe Arkansas.

And I'm fine with that.
ntxVol
I root for A&M in the west. Have no contempt for you except when you don't beat bama. I have lived in TX all my adult life and have several Aggie friends. I do laugh at many of your new found t-shirt fans though.

We don't get to play often but we have a common rival. Hopefully in the near future we can meet in Atlanta after helping each other by beating our common rival.

Anyway, looking forward to Oct. 8, 2016...see y'all there!
Guadaloop474
LSU = Texas Tech without the charm and charisma....
ToddyHill
AG
OP...

Give it time...that hate will develop. FWIW, I agree with you....but I also live 20 minutes from the real UT (in Knoxville), and the local Sports radio program is filled with callers who hate (in order)....Florida, Alabama, and the next team on the schedule.

We're only a couple of years removed from our entrance to the SEC. Good things take time.
Southeastern Conference
AG
quote:
I invite you to attend the Texas A&M vs LSU game this year. Be sure and wear maroon!

I used to like LSU until 2 years ago when I went to BR. Biggest ahole fans around. I now hope they lose every game.
lud42
I've always had a soft spot for A&M. Was a good rivalry back in the day and was usually a win for my Hogs.

The thing with the rivalry is: texass was our big rivalry in the SWC just like it was ya'lls. In the SEC there's six texass's: alabama, auburn, lsu, florida, georgia, tennessee. They all usually get the same kind of preferential treatment you would expect tu to get in the ole SWC days or, I guess, OU to get in the Big XII.

So, you've got six teams to hate. Thing is, the SEC don't care. We had a pretty good rivalry building through the nineties with Tenn ( at least from our end) and the SEC discarded it and tried to hoist the LSU rivalry on us. Now they're trying to manufacture an aTm-lsu rivalry. And for us, that means an attempted mizzou rivalry.

Anyways, plenty to hate in SEC, just usually not blatant Texas corruption like in the old SWC days.
Aggie20000
I like you Aggies, I was glad A&M joined...
MidTnAg
AG
You don't necessarily have to hate an opponent to develop a rivalry with them. It certainly helps.

However, there are other factors between LSU and ourselves. Mainly, close proximity, which implies that we compete fiercely for the same recruits. We win or lose on the field based mostly on how we win or lose in recruiting.

So far, LSU is doing a better job in both areas.

The more intense and exciting rivalries are those in which each team wins about as often as the other (eg., AL-AU). By this criteria, the LSU-TAMU contests have not reached the intense or exciting stage yet.
brotheraggie
quote:
I loathe LSU
I loathe Arkansas.

And I'm fine with that.
brotheraggie
McKelveysCurse
Every game in the SEC is a rivalry game IMO.
DogCompany74
AG
We are viewed as a sure road win by Bama, Auburn , Ole Miss and LSU. What's to hate? Maybe if we continue our tradition of treating visitors with hospitality and respect after we get outscored, we can avoid them outright laughing at us .
BonniePrinceBilly
quote:
Well thank you. As a Tech fan, I must agree that we are charismatic, if not always charming. That said, I'm shocked that this forum is so barren of posts. Like South Carolina and LSU, it appears A&M will lack a real in-conference rival for decades. I hope other schools (especially Tech and UT) learn from this and appreciate what they have.

And let me say, I really miss the "hate" Tech fans had for A&M...and vice versa. We just don't have the same emotional hate for UT and it shows in our record versus the Horns. Hopefully that will change.
Bockaneer
AG
Except that the LSU rivalry was a thing in the nineties.
And
LSU > TT by a longshot starting with the food available in that part of the state access to NOLA.
Deadwood
AG
quote:
Are you at all not familiar with LSU?
I hated LSU as much as the sips during my time in school. I know the rivalry waned when the corn dogs took their ball and went home in the 90s - I hope we can bring it back.
coupland boy
AG
quote:

That's insulting to Tech. Hell, it's insulting to charm and charisma.
MondayMorningQB
AG
Arky hates us, but honestly I forget about them until it's actually game week
APHIS AG
Arky and LSWho are the worst perpetrators and having graduated from Arky with my Masters, I took a lot of crap from those tier four, academically challenged idiots who could not put a correct sentence together if their lives depended on it.
Viper1973
Yipes! You been to an LSU game recently?
The Agly Duckling
I think rivalries evolve naturally, over time, and I am enjoying the novelty and rarity.that most fan bases never get to do; to watch these things evolve into whatever they will become over time! I think it's cool as s***, personally.
JimAggie
AG
I don't believe there's a shortage of rivalries in the SEC for us. Arkansas and LSU anyone? Having said that, I'll pull for all of the SEC teams when they aren't playing us. Little 12 teams? No F'ing way!
OlArmy
AG
Likewise, I have always had a soft spot for the good folks in Arkansas. Arkansas is the only school from the old SWC that I have never had to fight my way out of after a game.
Do the Christian thing, BTHO Baylor!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.