Why is it OLE Miss?

11,734 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by davido
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's so old about the school?
skins74
AG
Because it is traditional with Miss and not contemporary with the non sexual Ms
Tressels Vest
AG
Because **** you. That's why.
texagg14
AG
rwtxag83
AG
Why not?
hornhatinvol
Because it sounds like something some mint julep drinking, pinstripe-suit wearing plantation owner with a funny necktie would say.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Ole Miss is the name that slaves in the South used for their Master's wife.
TPS_Report
AG
Because Standards & Practices rejected Old Piss.

I bleed Maroon and I wipe burnt orange.
strbrst777
Because in the deep south, that's the way "Old" is pronounced.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
The University got its nickname "Ole Miss" via a contest in 1897. That same year, the student yearbook was being published for the first time. As a way to find a name for the book, a contest was held to solicit suggestions from the student body. Elma Meek, a student at the time, submitted the winning entry of Ole Miss. Interestingly, the term "Ole Miss" is not derived from Mississippi, but was a term used by slaves for the wife of a plantation owner

From secrant.com
Little Rock Ag
AG
Object Linking and Embedding Mississippi?
WC87
AG
gigemags-99 said:

Quote:

The University got its nickname "Ole Miss" via a contest in 1897. That same year, the student yearbook was being published for the first time. As a way to find a name for the book, a contest was held to solicit suggestions from the student body. Elma Meek, a student at the time, submitted the winning entry of Ole Miss. Interestingly, the term "Ole Miss" is not derived from Mississippi, but was a term used by slaves for the wife of a plantation owner

From secrant.com

Beat me to it
agdaddy04
AG
By 6 years
buzzweeyums
It's actually pronouced - oh-lay
CanyonAg77
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

Doubtful.
rwtxag83
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Doubtful.
Have no doubt this may be the case in a place or some places, but the idea that this was some universal term is ridiculous.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Patriot101
I hope this isn't offensive. But I've always seen a family connection to that of either SMU, Ole Miss, or Texas-Austin.

If their children are from Texas and are Longhorns, then they likely will attend one of these three institutions. It's just a generality that I perceive. I realize that I could be wrong...
rwtxag83
AG
There are many regional and family connections between the State of Mississippi and Texas, as well as the fact that many graduates from Ole Miss end up in Texas for work.

Before the 70s, almost everybody went to regional schools, or a school with family connections, including athletes.
TDExile
Patriot101 said:

I hope this isn't offensive. But I've always seen a family connection to that of either SMU, Ole Miss, or Texas-Austin.

If their children are from Texas and are Longhorns, then they likely will attend one of these three institutions. It's just a generality that I perceive. I realize that I could be wrong...
You're not wrong...it's a little sister to SMU. Those that don't have the money or academic chops..it's an alternate.
I'm not real familiar with SMU and if they are as ******baggy as UM types. But UM has that in spades.
cj774
AG
rwtxag83 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Doubtful.
Have no doubt this may be the case in a place or some places, but the idea that this was some universal term is ridiculous.
Just like with tu's fight over their Eyes of Texas song, once the woke mob of "children" get ahold of this, they won't care about the ridiculous level of it. Would not be surprised if this issue is the "issue of our times" in the near future.
strbrst777
Easier to say "Ole" than "Old." Southern speak.
greg.w.h
AG
strbrst777 said:

Easier to say "Ole" than "Old." Southern speak.
Even easier to say Ole Piss.
davido
AG
Because Casa Ole is not state specific enough.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.