Sweet 16 or bust

2,351 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by bobinator
Goodbullag142
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If buzz doesn't make it to the sweet 16 this year we should be calling for buzz to be gone. Can't keep having these mediocre years.
fat girlfriend
I call on you to resign from posting.
Know Your Enemy
AG
If you think Buzz is in ANY danger of being fired after this season, you're a damn fool. Short of a non-basketball related scandal he's not going anywhere for a long time unless it's his choice.
frenchtoast
Didn't mention resources. Fail.
BQ_90
AG
frenchtoast said:

Didn't mention resources. Fail.
and Buzz's salary. This board is really slipping
AggByMarriage
Goodbullag142 said:

If buzz doesn't make it to the sweet 16 this year we should be calling for buzz to be gone. Can't keep having these mediocre years.

Define mediocre years…
And while you're at it, could you also define mediocre facilities, mediocre attendance, and mediocre fans?
Goodbullag142
AG
If we were good people would watch. Buzz doesn't recruit and plays boring basketball. If we got a coach that could recruit people would want to come watch the games.
greg.w.h
AG
Boring basketball that wins is worth watching…
AggieNattie
I'm sure the coach that has us on an upward trend isn't going anywhere. He's done impressive with what he's had.
Belton Ag
AG
What weird, random August 28th brain vomit this was.
BQ_90
AG
Wait is this thread the tryout to see who replaces Hop as the board troll?
Maroon Dawn
AG
I don't think anybody but maybe the most die hard pumper is expecting us to make it to the S16 this year so weird post
AggByMarriage
greg.w.h said:

Boring basketball that wins is worth watching…

Especially when it's not boring…
rich1232
AG
So being a 11 and making it to the 16 would earn him more time but being a 4 and getting bounced by the 5 is a no go for you?
The Marksman
AG
OP username does not check out. Get a life.
TMF
AG
Buzz is a great fit for A&M. If we got some up and comer they would just leave. We need a strong fan base and some NIL money.
BuzzFan24
"Mediocre", it's amazing the narratives that get shoved down people's throats these days.
bobinator
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

I don't think anybody but maybe the most die hard pumper is expecting us to make it to the S16 this year so weird post

Classic Maroon Dawn post.

I guess ESPN's Jeff Borzello (#12) and CBS' Gary Parrish (#11) are die hard pumpers,

This team should be very good, and anything below a top six seed is probably a disappointing regular season (unless we have crazy injuries or something.)

After that it's the randomness of the NCAA Tournament but this team should be expected to have one of our better seasons.

To be clear the OP is also weird, but so is saying only delusional people think this is a sweet 16 caliber team.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
i think sweet 16 should be the goal bare
minimum. with what this team has coming back and the additions made via th portal tbis will be by far and away the best team buzz has had.

but if it doesn't happen i like what buzz has done with our program. we are relevant again which makes it fun to watch.
AggByMarriage
Goodbullag142 said:

If we were good people would watch. Buzz doesn't recruit and plays boring basketball. If we got a coach that could recruit people would want to come watch the games.

Wow… you sound like "football guy". The season opener with ND is almost here and you're posting "boring basketball" here… now? Did the guys over there push you out?

Last season was a really good season… beat Kentucky, beat Tennessee, took Houston to overtime on an unbelievable shot by Garcia. BORING?!

We lost a key starter for the season and those that did start were not that big. To play the lineup that we played required guys that had speed, skill, smarts. Not really a boring brand of basketball… and we won a good bit.

Can't recruit? I judge a coach by his relationship with his players. Do they stay with the program? Do they follow the plan? Do they want to be there? How many basketball players earned their rings last year? I think is 4. You might not be impressed… but maybe you can tell me how many football players earned their Aggie rings last year?

We paid a guy $76,000,000 NOT TO COACH our football team! Seriously?! 1/20th of that would have been AWESOME for basketball NIL.

Mediocre, boring, can't recruit?
BuzzFan24
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

i think sweet 16 should be the goal bare
minimum. with what this team has coming back and the additions made via th portal tbis will be by far and away the best team buzz has had.

but if it doesn't happen i like what buzz has done with our program. we are relevant again which makes it fun to watch.
The problem with this take is you never know the matchups of an NCAA tournament. Plus it's a one and done format. The tournament as a whole is super entertaining but, to base how successful a season is on these is literally basing the season off of one game. That's too much of a emotional rollercoaster for any rational sports fan.
JJxvi
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Uh, what? I think we might make the Final 4
JJxvi
AG
Judging and making changes based on what round you make it to in the playoffs is a fool's errand, that a program like ours cannot afford. You have to make the decision based on whether your coach is putting out a good team, and the only way to do that is based on 30+ games of results, not just the last two or three where you're matched up against some other team at some other location virtually at random.
bobinator
AG
How many seasons in a row would we need to be comfortably in the field but not a protected seed (so 5-10ish seed) and lose our first round game before we'd actually fire a coach? Like at least 6 right?

Someone would have to become the best coach in school history, but then set our floor so high that we start getting bored of it. Like a Rob Childress of basketball.
JJxvi
AG
I mean if you need an example, particularly of using an accomplishment with as much randomness as "make a sweet sixteen" involved, just look at how many people have been tricked by these into thinking Billy Kennedy, a coach who won't get another job, was good because of them.
JJxvi
AG
bobinator said:

How many seasons in a row would we need to be comfortably in the field but not a protected seed (so 5-10ish seed) and lose our first round game before we'd actually fire a coach? Like at least 6 right?

Someone would have to become the best coach in school history, but then set our floor so high that we start getting bored of it. Like a Rob Childress of basketball.
I don't even know. But yeah something like that. Making the NCAA's consistently every year is my only goal for this program, but also one of my assumptions is that if you're at that level you'll advance (and probably far) in some of those years. Losing in the first round every time, or even the second round every time, would have to reach the point where it becomes an improbable anomaly in and of itself that would cause frustration.
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

Outside of a mid-major, how many times has that happened in the past?

I'd say that a coach would probably bolt to a different situation/school if that were to actually happen.

Kinda made me think of Nebraska in a way. They've lost in every first round they've played in.
frenchtoast
Goodbullag142 said:

If more people watch, the number of annoying fans increases. What a conundrum.
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

I have to admit it would be pretty maddening to go dancing every year for 6 years and lose in the first round each year. I have to think that's never been done in the 80 something years of the tournament.

I went to look it up and didn't find it, but I did find this crazy stat. This would really make Maroon Dawn's head explode.

Quote:

Double Diamond
Buzz ain't going anywhere.
czar_iv
AG
Buzz will be the best basketball coach in A&M history if he decides to stay around. Like almost all of his coaching tenures, November December and January, everyone will want to fire Buzz but the team will gradually improve and be firing on all cylinders by the conference tourney. As a result, the team makes March Madness barring any random selection committee screwing.

We have never had enough talent to guarantee Sweet Sixteen ... ever.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
bobinator
AG
czar_iv said:

Buzz will be the best basketball coach in A&M history if he decides to stay around.
To be fair this is a pretty low bar. He's already one of only three coaches to get us to the tournament two years in a row.

His competition for best in school history is Turgeon, who never made the second weekend of the tournament and whose best season resulted in a five seed, and BCG who at this point is almost as much myth as actual results. Who knows what happens if he stays, but he didn't, and what he actually put on paper was a 12-seed-with-an-upset season and the '07 team that's probably the best team in school history.

Shelby coached here for a thousand years and had fewer NCAA Tournament wins than Billy Kennedy did.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.