August 27th Bracketology

2,385 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by rockwalltxag
LPCAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joe Lunardi put out a new bracketology today. We're a 5 seed in Providence. Book your hotels now.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-2025-march-madness-men-field-predictions
bobinator
AG
Another point for high expectations though. Expecting us to be ranked somewhere between 15-20ish to start the year.
LPCAg
AG
Agreed. I think that's a reasonable seed for us to be given based on what we know at this time, but I think we could definitely outperform that with all the experience we have returning.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Preparing for crushing disappointment now.
billydean05
Bubble team here we come!
mikesyracuse1
Hotel and flights booked to Providence

Mikesyracuse1
greg.w.h
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Hotel and flights booked to Providence

Mikesyracuse1
I hope those are easily replaced with other destinations?!?
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Brother lives in providence so I can only hope.
Mikeyshooter
AG
The goal should be a 6 seed or better in March.

LawHall88
AG
EliteZags
AG
oldest first team ever
SeattleAg05
AG
I honestly have no idea what to think. Two years ago, I think that team overachieved. Last year we had high expectations that they'd take the next step with another year, and it took them most the season to make it back to that caliber. Now this year, do we expect a jump still from another year? I'll pencil us in for a roller coaster of a season and an 8 seed.
bobinator
AG
SeattleAg05 said:

I honestly have no idea what to think. Two years ago, I think that team overachieved. Last year we had high expectations that they'd take the next step with another year, and it took them most the season to make it back to that caliber. Now this year, do we expect a jump still from another year? I'll pencil us in for a roller coaster of a season and an 8 seed.
I think projecting out a basketball season is hard because basketball is such a fluid sport and all the parts on the floor are so interconnected. A very good team overall with a specific weakness can get beat by a mediocre team with a particular strength if those happen to line up. And not just once in an upset, they could reliably beat them most of the time just because of the way the two teams line up. This can sort of happen in football, but the teams have to start out much closer to the same level overall.

So what you're looking for to say a team is good is:

a) how good is this team when they're playing well and playing the way they want to play?
b) how good are they when they're not playing well, but still playing the way they want to play?
c) how good are they at playing the way they want to play? Do they generally control the game flow?
d) how many options do they have to play other ways if teams force them out of the way they want to play?

Last year we were pretty good at A and C. At our best, in our game flow, we could beat anybody, and generally we controlled the game flow. We were really good at making teams play ugly basketball most of the time.

Where we weren't really good was b and d. For most of the season, if Wade wasn't hitting shots we were absolutely screwed. Even if we kept the game flow we wanted, we struggled to win games when we couldn't hit outside shots, and we had to keep shooting outside shots because we had very limited ability to create off the bounce and absolutely no ability to create in the post. (this changed a bit the last few weeks of the season when Manny became a much bigger offensive threat.)

So, looking at this year, I'm not seeing a big "jump" from last year from anyone in particular, but you have a lot of interesting pieces added to the puzzle that make us more multiple. Phelps adds another passer into the mix, something that Boots was terrible at. Payne is probably the biggest difference, he gives you someone that can actually create a bucket in the low post. Wilcher hopefully brings you some reliable shooting off the bench that can go off a few times (he had six games of 14+ points last season.) And you do expect some moderate improvement from Solo and hopefully Manny can be a little more like the player he ended the season as.

So it's less that we're going to be much better when we're at our best, but more that we shouldn't be as bad when we're at our worst. You take away a few of those losses, not all of them, we're going to have some bad games, it's basketball, but say you flip the home Arkansas and LSU games (or Memphis) and the road Vandy game and suddenly you're looking at a 4-5 seed kind of team.
greg.w.h
AG
I look forward to the hype, the deflation, the continual effort, the hopefully surprising ending, and mourning our fans who pass from coronary "events"…
JJxvi
AG
Book your hotels in San Antone *****es
SeattleAg05
AG
I think that a-d is a good way at looking at it. What's hard for me to project is how we'll play defense.

We started the year great offensively (even adjusted for opponent) but we struggled defensively. The pace slowed down in conference play and we got better defensively and struggled in offensive efficiency.

So it's almost as though there were two different teams that could show up and the strengths and weaknesses flipped depending on how the game flow went.

For my money, the key to the season is whether our guards can defend in a faster paced game. Because if they can, Wade and our offense can pull their weight.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I have no doubt we're going to be better defensively. Phelps over Boots is a huge upgrade defensively, and only having one defensive liability (Taylor) on the court will make a big difference.

How much better? I don't know, but definitely better. We were kind of backed in a corner last year where we absolutely had to have Boots, Wade and Carter on the floor all the time even though sometimes that meant we couldn't guard anyone.

Our defense also suffered at times because of our offense, we had to commit a lot of effort to getting offensive rebounds which sometimes put us in bad situations on defense.
greg.w.h
AG
Every effort to extend scoring opportunities helped prevent more scoring by opponents. And we needed a lot of extra shots…
rockwalltxag
AG
Quote:

Preparing for crushing disappointment now.

Gotta suck to live life this way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.