Official non-con schedule (and overall schedule) talk

4,964 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by DukeMu
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Already been talked about but some people but people might not click in on the rumors thread. Also putting Torvik's 2025 projections for each team (which shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it's at least a starting point)

Monday, Nov. 4 - Away - Central Florida (61)
Friday, Nov. 8 - Home - TAMU-Commerce (355)
Monday, Nov. 11 - Home - Lamar (273)
Friday, Nov. 15 - Home - Ohio State (34)
Wednesday, Nov. 20 - Home - Southern (230)
Starting Tuesday Nov. 26 - Las Vegas - Players Era Festival (rumored opponents SDSU (77), Creighton (13), Oregon (44)
Tuesday, Dec. 3 - Home - Wake Forest (32)
Sunday, Dec. 8 - Fort Worth - Texas Tech (19)
Saturday, Dec. 14 - Indianapolis - Purdue (16)
Friday, Dec. 20 - Home - Houston Christian (351)
Saturday, Dec. 28 - Home - Abilene Christian (181)
----- Conference opponents (don't know the order yet) ----
Home and away: Texas (11), LSU (71), Oklahoma (56)
Home only: Alabama (8), Arkansas (36, but truly a wild card), Auburn (7), Georgia (40), Tennessee (5), Vanderbilt (66)
Road only: Florida (35), Kentucky (23), Ole Miss (39), Mississippi State (22), Missouri (63), South Carolina (53)

Random notes:
  • Been a minute since we opened away from Reed Arena, with the last time being the Air Force Base game in Germany against West Virginia in 2018. This is the first time we've opened with a true road game since 2000 when we lost 94-74 at George Washington.
  • It's cool we get Wake in the SEC/ACC. We played them in the NIT in 2022, but still, will be cool to once again have Forbes and Antanas back in the building.
  • From the basketball SID:
  • This will only be the third time a Big Ten team has come to Reed Arena, with the others being Penn State in 2005 and Northwestern in 1993.
  • It's only the second time an ACC team will play here in the regular season, the other was Clemson in 1996 (though Clemson and Wake have also played at Reed for NIT games.)

Overall, hard to complain much about this schedule and I like it even more than last year's. It might not have *quite* the same weight on selection Sunday, though it could, but I like that some of the marquee games are at Reed Arena.

It's basically got the grand slam of what I like to see in a non-con schedule, at least one high level home game, several really-good-but-beatable opponents, a high level MTE, and multiple quality opponents away from home other than the MTE.
bobinator
AG
Should note that the "really good but beatable" opponents thing doesn't really apply this year because I'm not sure there's anyone that I'd consider absolutely unbeatable by us this year, but it's more for years where we're a fringe tournament team and then we play like 10 absolute nobodies and then like at Gonzaga or something.
MarcAg
AG
This schedule is one of the best we have had in last 20 years with last year and this year probably be the top 2. Was thinking this year was better (and it could end up being) but I forgot all about the game vs Houston somehow.
MarcAg
AG
I blanked out and completely forgot about UH on the schedule last year and our comeback falling short.
bobinator
AG
If by "best" we mean "toughest" then it's going to be close.

By Torvik, he's projecting our basic non-con SOS at #82, last year was #35 and our best recent year was 2018 at #13.

Last year per KenPom we had a noncon SOS of 64, the other best ones are 2018 at 37 and 2016 at 76.

This schedule has a few pretty volatile teams though that could go either way. Will probably come down to how good Central Florida, SDSU and Ohio State really are. I'm much more confident that Wake, Creighton, Purdue and Texas Tech will be solid at worst.

But if by "best" we mean just as fans, then I think so and I don't think it's particularly close. Two good teams, especially power conference teams, coming to Reed Arena is rare. Here are our KenPom top 100 home non-con opponents by season over the last decade.

2024: Memphis (#76)
2023: none, did have a terrible Oregon State team come (#214)
2022: none, best home opponent was Abilene Christian (#131)
2021: none
2020: Gonzaga (#2), Oregon State (#87), Oklahoma State* (#53)
2019: UC Irvine (#73), Kansas State* (#20)
2018: Buffalo (#67)
2017: USC (#53)
2016: Kansas State (#55), Baylor (#24), Iowa State* (#20)
2015: Sam Houston (#95!!!), Arizona State (#65),

* = these were the SEC/Big 12 games that came in late January.

I don't love the nuetral site games, but Tech is a more interesting opponent than TCU and should be a top 25-ish team this season so that's a rivalry game that's reasonably close by.
greg.w.h
AG
So we know it's not the official non-conf because PVAMU isn't scheduled yet???
JJxvi
AG
The strength of schedule will be hurt by all these teams suffering blowout losses to Texas A&M
frenchtoast
It's great to see a schedule like this. I think it's quite a bit better than what our norm should be, so even if we removed a few of the stronger teams, I'd still be satisfied with it.
PJYoung
AG
I love it.

Gonna come up for 2 early non conference games.

Gonna be weird coming up on a November Friday night for BB and then going home early Saturday and miss NM State at Kyle. I'd rather be on my back porch cooking out and watching cfb on the big screens.
Aggie Dad 26
That's rough. If we do well with that schedule it will be impressive
bobinator
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

We need to do fairly well. You never know with the portal and whatnot but it sure looks like we're poised for a step back after this season so it would be nice to be really good this year. There's no reason we should be sweating the tournament at any point.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

We need to do fairly well. You never know with the portal and whatnot but it sure looks like we're poised for a step back after this season so it would be nice to be really good this year. There's no reason we should be sweating the tournament at any point.
And we put together a schedule like this, because the staff expects to have a good team and try to make a run. And next year I would expect the schedule is probably downgraded a little because as you said, today it looks like we could be taking a step back next year.
bobinator
AG
No doubt, I think the format of this schedule should be the goal every year, but we don't always need to aim quite as high with the opponents.

There's absolutely no reason to play a schedule as bad as most of the ones we've played over the last 20 years, but there's a lot of runway between how bad those schedules were and how good this one is, hopefully most years we land closer to this end of it.
Luke The Drifter
AG
bobinator said:

• This will only be the third time a Big Ten team has come to Reed Arena, with the others being Penn State in 2005 and Northwestern in 1993.

• You would think the basketball SID would know that Reed Arena didn't open until 1998.

Also, it is amazing to me how few Big 10 and ACC teams have come to College Station. I get that we weren't a basketball powerhouse and for all the love us old-timers had for G. Rollie, it really was a crap hole of an arena. But still...you would think at some point someone like Georgia Tech or Iowa or Maryland would have made their way down here. Plus, let's not forget we had Boston College on the home schedule a few years ago...but we all know how that worked out.

We've had some decent big name or major conference non-conference opponents come to B/CS since we joined the SEC...just strange that they all came from non-Big 10 or non-ACC leagues.

• Memphis
    • Oregon State (x2)
    • Gonzaga
    • Oklahoma State
    • Kansas State (x2)
    • Southern Cal
    • Iowa State
    • Arizona State
    • Houston
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
    TyperWoods
    bobinator said:

Already been talked about but some people but people might not click in on the rumors thread. Also putting Torvik's 2025 projections for each team (which shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it's at least a starting point)

Monday, Nov. 4 - Away - Central Florida (61)
    Friday, Nov. 8 - Home - TAMU-Commerce (355)
    Monday, Nov. 11 - Home - Lamar (273)
    Friday, Nov. 15 - Home - Ohio State (34)
    Wednesday, Nov. 20 - Home - Southern (230)
    Starting Tuesday Nov. 26 - Las Vegas - Players Era Festival (rumored opponents SDSU (77), Creighton (13), Oregon (44)
    Tuesday, Dec. 3 - Home - Wake Forest (32)
    Sunday, Dec. 8 - Fort Worth - Texas Tech (19)
    Saturday, Dec. 14 - Indianapolis - Purdue (16)
    Friday, Dec. 20 - Home - Houston Christian (351)
    Saturday, Dec. 28 - Home - Abilene Christian (181)
    ----- Conference opponents (don't know the order yet) ----
    Home and away: Texas (11), LSU (71), Oklahoma (56)
    Home only: Alabama (8), Arkansas (36, but truly a wild card), Auburn (7), Georgia (40), Tennessee (5), Vanderbilt (66)
    Road only: Florida (35), Kentucky (23), Ole Miss (39), Mississippi State (22), Missouri (63), South Carolina (53)

Random notes:
    • Been a minute since we opened away from Reed Arena, with the last time being the Air Force Base game in Germany against West Virginia in 2018. This is the first time we've opened with a true road game since 2000 when we lost 94-74 at George Washington.
    • It's cool we get Wake in the SEC/ACC. We played them in the NIT in 2022, but still, will be cool to once again have Forbes and Antanas back in the building.
    • It's only the second time an ACC team will play here in the regular season, the other was Clemson in 1996 (though Clemson and Wake have also played at Reed for NIT games.)

Overall, hard to complain much about this schedule and I like it even more than last year's. It might not have *quite* the same weight on selection Sunday, though it could, but I like that some of the marquee games are at Reed Arena.

It's basically got the grand slam of what I like to see in a non-con schedule, at least one high level home game, several really-good-but-beatable opponents, a high level MTE, and multiple quality opponents away from home other than the MTE.

Reed Arena opened in 1998. Northwestern must have played at Jolly Rollie (RIP).
    bobinator
    AG
    To be fair to the SID that was my fault, it says College Station I just put Reed. That's how rare it is.
    greg.w.h
    AG
    bobinator said:

To be fair to the SID that was my fault, it says College Station I just put Reed. That's how rare it is.
    You missed your opportunity to spell it Geolly Rollie???
    The Marksman
    AG
    I have a great feeling about our team this season; I think we're going to be far better than last season
    JJxvi
    AG
    We are approaching the year of the Aggie in sports, IMO. Too bad I'm always right about other teams and wrong about my own.
    NyAggie
    AG
    JJxvi said:

We are approaching the year of the Aggie in sports, IMO. Too bad I'm always right about other teams and wrong about my own.

I agree
    I think football is going to do awesome as is hoops, and. Baseball came one game away from winning it all
    Tobias Funke
    AG
    If anyone gets wind of ticket info for the Vegas tourney, do your boy a solid and share it here! Their website is sketchily vague.
    miller0926
    AG
    FYI, ticket presale just started for the Texas Tech game in Fort Worth. The code is DICKIES

USLBM Coast to Coast Challenge Tickets Dec 08, 2024 Fort Worth, TX | Ticketmaster

Looks like they aren't even offering the prime sections, and this wasn't included as an add-on road game purchase option for season tickets, so don't know how you even get them.... god these things suck
    Luke The Drifter
    AG
    miller0926 said:

FYI, ticket presale just started for the Texas Tech game in Fort Worth. The code is DICKIES

USLBM Coast to Coast Challenge Tickets Dec 08, 2024 Fort Worth, TX | Ticketmaster

Looks like they aren't even offering the prime sections, and this wasn't included as an add-on road game purchase option for season tickets, so don't know how you even get them.... god these things suck

You've got that right. I get that it's all about the money (like everything in college sports...money first, fans/athletes/academics/etc. a very distant second...), but I'll never understand why athletic departments continue to make decisions that do all they can to alienate their fan base.
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
    Mustang1
    AG
    Rothstein did post the Vegas games will only be at MGM Grand. No dates & times confirmed yet.
    _lefraud_
    AG
    Schools don't care about alientating the casual fan. They only worry about the ones that are paying the bills (if even that). The school will sell their allotment for Dickies, casual fan be damned.

The money will dry up though, with NIL there's just no way most schools are going to be able to rely on the same donors to support each and every program with donations, NIL, etc. It'll be interesting to see.
    miller0926
    AG
    Just showed up on my timeline because Jeff Goodman retweeted.

Detective Jake Peralta
    AG
    That...doesn't sound promising.

But then again, the NCAA is on about an 0 for 1000 streak when it comes to NIL decisions so...
    bobinator
    AG
    There's a lot of interesting stuff there. Not sure how they can enforce the two teams from the same league thing this year when other tournaments have the same issue unless there's an exception for contracts that were already signed before teams change leagues.

Even so, they allowed the Phil Knight invitational a couple of years ago. It had two brackets so teams couldn't meet but it was still under the umbrella of the same MTE. That had both Florida and Arkansas, Duke and North Carolina, and Ohio State and Michigan State.
    Nashvegas
    AG
    Same with the Indy Classic. Tickets just went on sale, but only sections available are the highest upper levels.
    Mustang1
    AG

Tues-Oregon
    Wed-Creighton
    Sat-SDSU
    Detective Jake Peralta
    AG
    Moving to Saturday and competing with Rivalry Week is a bold strategy for viewership.
    miller0926
    AG
    Detective Jake Peralta said:

Moving to Saturday and competing with Rivalry Week is a bold strategy for viewership.

Ya that is beyond dumb.
    BLSmith04
    AG
    This is a pretty strong schedule. Amazing home slate. Should be our best team in a while. We've gotta take advantage and capitalize this year. Buzz and the boys are going to the Sweet 16 this year, led by Senior SEC Player of the Year Wade Taylor IV.
    Detective Jake Peralta
    AG
    We're playing a charity exhibition at UH, per Rothstein:

Detective Jake Peralta
    AG
    Player's Era game times (including likely H2H vs the football game against Texas) announced:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.