Hurley to the Lakers?

3,505 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Know Your Enemy
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some conversation on the portal thread but might as well start it's own.

To MarcAg's topic on promoting from within if he leaves, I'm almost universally a "don't promote from within" guy with a few exceptions, but I don't think it's THAT wild given the timing. Give Kimani Young a shot for a year and see where you're at, unless you're hearing you can actually land a big fish but hiring this late in the cycle is always tough.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think he stays at UConn.
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I would be surprised if he stayed at this point. It doesn't usually get that far down the road and made public that he is flying to LA to meet with them. The meeting would have to be a disaster today.

And UCONN should throw a bag at Nate Oats. I know Alabama is loaded up for next year, but UCONN is an elite program. He at least has to give it some thought.

On Young, does it matter he is a convicted felon? Or does that not matter with the changing status of weed in this country?
bobinator
AG
MarcAg said:

On Young, does it matter he is a convicted felon? Or does that not matter with the changing status of weed in this country?
I don't think anyone will care given his track record since then.

But I just don't think they can afford Oats. His new deal is already effective and is 7.5 per AND they'd owe Alabama 18 mil on top of that. UCONN is a good job and I'm sure they've got some hefty boosters but are they fronting 25 mil right out of the gate?
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

MarcAg said:

I don't think anyone will care given his track record since then.

But I just don't think they can afford Oats. His new deal is already effective and is 7.5 per AND they'd owe Alabama 18 mil on top of that. UCONN is a good job and I'm sure they've got some hefty boosters but are they fronting 25 mil right out of the gate?
He is making 5 mil next season, but yeah the 18 mil is a problem. They did have 32.5 mil in revenue this year, but still doubt they could justify 18 mil
bobinator
AG
Oh yeah you're right, but it escalates to 7.5 over the next six years. But I just can't see it.

But that's why doing this in June would be tough, a lot of those A-list coaches have deals that just went into effect.
frenchtoast
I would scarcely find myself particularly astonished or taken aback should he decide not to abstain from severing his affiliation with the University of Connecticut, as such an outcome would comport with the various indications and suppositions suggesting his eventual departure from the institution.
MarcAg
AG
I think one thing that could make Hurley not want to go to the Lakers is the Bronny James situation. I would be like, you want me to build a team and I can find players to help us with these picks, but if we are taking Bronny with one, I need to know. Honestly them signing and trading Lebron would be best case scenario to start over and let Hurley rebuild
Southlake
Hurley is an East coast guy who likes to yell at everyone.

Wont won't in LA.

LaBron won't let him.

Stats at UC.
MarcAg
AG
Lebron knows who he is and knows Hurley runs hot. Lebron has already signed off on this if Hurley is being interviewed and if Lebron is planning to stay in LA.
Rocinante
MarcAg said:

I think one thing that could make Hurley not want to go to the Lakers is the Bronny James situation. I would be like, you want me to build a team and I can find players to help us with these picks, but if we are taking Bronny with one, I need to know. Honestly them signing and trading Lebron would be best case scenario to start over and let Hurley rebuild

It's a mid second round pick. 90 pct of those never contribute. It's really not a big deal.
MarcAg
AG
It's more about the principle of the matter. It's saying he doesn't have the power. But also you think they are drafting him to not let him not be on the roster? So you might be giving up a roster spot for him. That's the bigger issue, is it costing you a roster spot?

And yeah 2nd rounders are long shots, but they aren't no shots. 2 of the top 6 in all NBA voting this year were 2nd rounders. But if you are forced to draft a kid that isn't a top 200 player in this draft it's a no shot. And if they decide to make you put him on the roster that's a bad deal.
MarcAg
AG

I don't know why, but saying Lakers made a compelling case just feels like he's setting up an announcement to say he's staying.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MarcAg said:

Lebron knows who he is and knows Hurley runs hot. Lebron has already signed off on this if Hurley is being interviewed and if Lebron is planning to stay in LA.

Sure he says that now. As soon as they're losing and Hurley yells at him that **** will go out the window.
Ags2013
AG
Hurley back to UCONN
BuzzFan24
I find it funny that Lebron has grown to such an Icon that he is hated with literally anything he does or does NOT do.
miller0926
AG
Victory for the sport today
misterguinness
AG
Much respect for Hurley and this decision. However, it feels somewhat like Billy Donovan in that if Hurley doesn't win another championship in the next several years, he may try the NBA.
2+2=5
Know Your Enemy
AG
MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

I would be surprised if he stayed at this point. It doesn't usually get that far down the road and made public that he is flying to LA to meet with them. The meeting would have to be a disaster today.

And UCONN should throw a bag at Nate Oats. I know Alabama is loaded up for next year, but UCONN is an elite program. He at least has to give it some thought.

Ahem
The Gainesville Taco Casa
BuzzFan24 said:

I find it funny that Lebron has grown to such an Icon that he is hated with literally anything he does or does NOT do.

What does LeBron have to do with Hurley not taking the job?

You do realize LeBron most likely signed off on the interview itself, right?

Hurley not taking this job has nothing to do with LB.
greg.w.h
AG
It might or might not. But they weren't overpaying him to deal with the Lakers's more recent histrionics…
BuzzFan24
The Lakers FO stated Lebron has not said a word about the coaching position. So I'm not sure about the sign off comment of yours. Maybe - maybe not.

And why are you asking me like as if I brought Lebron into this conversation? I am simply stating no matter who is hired Lebron will be hated for it and anything short than a title will be a failure in many (many idiots that is) eyes.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
He's fast becoming a legend at blue blood UConn (6 natties since 1999). Why become LeBabys puta?!

TXAGBQ76
AG
Well, Hurley will have deal him and maybe that played a role
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Sometimes, it ain't about the money!
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
AgEfan
Padre_Island_Ag said:

Sometimes, it ain't about the money!
Sounds like money was a big reason. Not necessarily who was going to offer the most, but L.A apparently wooed him with talk of $100 million pre-visit, but then the actual offer was $70 million.
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Ahem

You are the best.
I suck!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hey, my wins are rare so I have to celebrate them when they happen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.