Sankey's Suggestion

2,811 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by agent-maroon
AGDAD14
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Do you agree with Sankey's thoughts on expanding/changing the tournament? I don't.

https://sports.yahoo.com/secs-ncaa-flop-makes-greg-sankeys-push-for-tournament-expansion-look-even-more-ridiculous-030957406.html
Complete Idiot
His only pursuit is of money and influence
bobinator
AG
Sankey is trying to do what's best for the SEC, that's his job, so I get it, but it's not what's best for college basketball
zgolfz85
AG
He's a stain in every sense and with every "idea" he has
NyAggie
AG
I ****in hate Sankey with a passion

Do kit change one damn thing about the ncaa tournament
The Cinderella's from the small conferences are what make this tournament do special

Without them it's just another playoff

The first week of the ncaa tournament is the best event in all of sports because of the little guys getting their shot and taking down some big dogs

Sankey needs to be thrown a good boot party
PJYoung
AG
Again, people are somehow thinking adding 8 teams will mean no automatic qualifiers for small conferences. It's not logical.

Those 8 teams will probably be a good amount of power 4 conference schools and 3 or 4 others. It's not a disaster, it's just slightly different.
Sq 17
First change should be all auto bids get to play a first round game at a tourney site

Only at large teams should play in Dayton
91AggieLawyer
AG
Sq 17 said:

First change should be all auto bids get to play a first round game at a tourney site

I say do away with Dayton. What is its purpose? How many people, other than those following the schools playing, actually watch the First Four? Just go back to 64 and be done with it. If you can't make the top 44-48 or however many end up being the cutoff for the at large teams, go to the NIT and play there.
fatdad84ag
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Sq 17 said:

I say do away with Dayton. What is its purpose? How many people, other than those following the schools playing, actually watch the First Four? Just go back to 64 and be done with it. If you can't make the top 44-48 or however many end up being the cutoff for the at large teams, go to the NIT and play there.

I do and less basketball is never a good thing, especially in March
PJYoung
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Sq 17 said:

You're funny.
bobinator
AG
Agree they should just make all four play-in games the last 8 at-large teams and then just leave the rest alone. If you earned your way in you get to skip the first four, and otherwise it's a perfect sporting event.
Know Your Enemy
AG
bobinator said:

Agree they should just make all four play-in games the last 8 at-large teams and then just leave the rest alone. If you earned your way in you get to skip the first four, and otherwise it's a perfect sporting event.

The flip side to that is two AQ schools get to claim tournament wins that they're likely never going to get outside of Dayton.
bobinator
AG
Do the first four teams gets extra money from making it? I'd be okay with all eight of them being auto-bids if they make extra money from it. But otherwise the David vs Goliath aspect of it is the fun of it. Those first four teams that lose don't get their moment in the spotlight where for a few days they get to dare to dream.
halfastros81
AG
Totally disagree with Sankey. I could see expanding the
Tourney to 128 teams and eliminating the conference tourneys tho. Reward teams for their full season performance and eliminate Cinderella's that caught
Lightning in a bottle for a week.

bobinator
AG
Absolutely not. Part of the magic is that once your conference tournament starts it doesn't matter how the rest of your season went, your season's not over until you lose again. Win enough games in a row and you're the national champions.
halfastros81
AG
Different strokes for different folks. I'd
Prefer 2024 Indiana St vs some 14-17
Entry from a conference iv'e barely heard of.

frenchtoast
His name reminds me of ****ty coffee.
bobinator
AG
Well if I were king of college basketball I'd also institute a national scheduling formula so those teams have enough chances to play their way in in the regular season.
PJYoung
AG
halfastros81 said:

Different strokes for different folks. I'd
Prefer 2024 Indiana St vs some 14-17
Entry from a conference iv'e barely heard of.

Congratulations, under Sankeys new plan you get both.
yell_on_6th st
AG
I will call that guy a back stabbing mother ****er if I ever get a chance to meet him, and I will find and piss on his grave after he dies. Anyone want to join me?
halfastros81
AG
Well my plan would be the 14-17 team does not make it because they had no conference tourney to win.
Know Your Enemy
AG
bobinator said:

Do the first four teams gets extra money from making it? I'd be okay with all eight of them being auto-bids if they make extra money from it. But otherwise the David vs Goliath aspect of it is the fun of it. Those first four teams that lose don't get their moment in the spotlight where for a few days they get to dare to dream.

No idea on the money issue but I like the way they have it set up now. If they're all AQ's from small conferences no one knows then the viewership on TUE/WED would suck. That's why they put the little guys in the first time slot and the big name schools after on each night.
bobinator
AG
Thats why I'd prefer they get to skip it and play the big teams though. But I don't know, maybe you'd have to ask them what's better. Does beating another 16 do anything for them compared to having that moment where maybe they can take down a giant. I'm not a fan or player of one of those teams so hard for me to say.

But it should be up to them, to some degree. Middling major conference teams don't earn their way in, the auto bids do.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Win that game and you get your chance at the giant. Not sure what your point is.
bobinator
AG
My point is the losing team doesn't get that chance, and they earned their way into the field by winning their conference championship so I don't like eliminating them before they get that chance.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I guess I see more of the "we get a winnable game first" side of things. If you can't win that one you're likely to get your brains beat out by the 1 seed anyway. Those 4 slots go to the lowest ranked AQ's.
bobinator
AG
Well that's why I said you'd have to ask them. I don't have the experience to know what that's like. Would they rather have a winnable game, or would they rather take their shot at a titan? I dunno. And if the winnable game is good, then let's pay them a little more and give them all winnable games, certainly that would make the tournament crazier if we could eliminate more low seeds right away.

But that's why I think it should be up to them. Theoretically I can see it either way.
EVA3
AG
Snakey is a POS.
WaldoWings
His thoughts are idiotic. They auto bids vs the goliaths are what makes this fun!
OKC~Ag
yell_on_6th st said:

I will call that guy a back stabbing mother ****er if I ever get a chance to meet him, and I will find and piss on his grave after he dies. Anyone want to join me?
don't be a wimp, do it now...go to his house and do it, if you can't take your dog and make him do #2 on his lawn
agent-maroon
AG
I hate Sankey just as much as I loved Mike Slive. Sankey only understands the money and power aspect of the SEC, but he doesn't understand and/or care about the qualities that made the conference so great before he took office.

RIP Mike Slive
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.