Anybody else think this team can make a run?

3,144 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by e=mc2
e=mc2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I actually do. We've got a load of experience and have beaten several very good teams. I understand we've also sucked at times. But, we generally peak late, play well in tournaments (not last NCAA tournament), and we're very unselfish.

I choose to believe. I think our defense, guard play, rebounding, and free throw shooting give us a good shot!
TAMUallen
AG
They certainly could. It will all come down to defending the 3 better (not even great), shooting well compared to our normal selves, hitting free throws (if we're lucky enough to get many) and not having one of our sloppy games with bad turnovers.

I think what has changed us greatly is now not having to almost solely depend on Wade many times
bobinator
AG
We've played well in one specific tournament.

But sure, you'd hope every fan base thinks they can go on a run.
TopoTacos
AG
The recipe for our success is predicated on A)some combination of 2 of our 3 guards have a good game (IV-Boots-MO) B) we continue to rebound like demons C) avoid silly fouls.

I don't think there is any team in the South region that you can't make a solid argument for us beating, but we'll have to just wait and see.
Dale Gribble
bobinator said:

We've been really good in the SEC tournament three years in a row and made a run in the NIT two years ago. Maybe that can rub off on NCAAT. This program needs to break the E8 bubble some time.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I wouldn't be surprised to see us win 2-3 games in the tournament. I also won't be surprised if Nebraska beats us by 20. This team is so wildly inconsistent. Then again, since Manny flipped the switch we've been a different team. Have to stay out of foul trouble since we don't have much quality depth but March is made for great guards and we have 3 of them.
cords12
During rhe losing streak, I thought this team had thrown in the towel. Turns out this team is just incredibly streaky. We don't know which team we are gonna get. First half team against Florida or the second half team? The team that beat Kentucky and first quarter against Florida can make a deep run! I sure hope that's who shows up!
JJxvi
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
bobinator said:

What are you talking about?

We've played well under Buzz in 4 out of 5 POSTSEASON tournaments in the past 3 years.

Won at least 2 games in SECT the last three years - making the finals in two of those years.

Went all the way to the finals in 2022 NIT with dominant play up to the Championship Game- and a close game lost on a final shot barely missing when we were there.

Ran into a red-hot Penn State 3-point shooting buzz saw in last year's NCAAT and lost that one.

We can absolutely make a run in this tournament - especially the way we've been playing in the last seven games.

I'll predict our first ever Elite Eight appearance where we will play Kentucky for the third time this year in Dallas for the right to go to Phoenix.

But first, BTHO Nebraska!!!
Divining Rod
yep, 2 of 3 guards need strong game; avoid foul trouble.

a LOT is going to be determined by what kind of officiating we get.
Heineken-Ashi
We absolutely can. Have to shoot well, stay out of foul trouble, and limit the stupid mistakes. Sounds cliche, but those are the three things that if we take care of, we will be in it late against anyone.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
halfastros81
AG
Depends on what you call a run? Could we get to Sweet 16 … possibly only because UH is crippled by injury.

This team is capable of beating any team in any given game BUT stringing together 5-6 straight quality games against tournament quality opponents … I doubt it. I wish I didn't doubt it but I know what I've seen and it's been inconsistent.

I feel like our ceiling is Sweet 16. We are fully capable of wetting the bed against Nebraska or beating them by 15
StinkyPinky
AG
halfastros81 said:

Depends on what you call a run? Could we get to Sweet 16 … possibly only because UH is crippled by injury.

This team is capable of beating any team in any given game BUT stringing together 5-6 straight quality games against tournament quality opponents … I doubt it. I wish I didn't doubt it but I know what I've seen and it's been inconsistent.

I feel like our ceiling is Sweet 16. We are fully capable of wetting the bed against Nebraska or beating them by 15
I'll take a sweet 16 run. But elite 8 is also possible if stars align correctly. Need MO and Wade to be huge, and Boots be a contributor vs a hurdle.
Ghost Mech
They've improved over the season once they figured out the rotation.

Lots less Hefner and Coleman now.

Washington and Obaseki have developed to nice pieces for extended minutes.

Garcia is just fun to watch. He has made sooooo many little plays this year that kept a possession alive.

You can really see the experience of Taylor and Radford on the court.

Earlier this year I couldn't see them making a 3-4 game run.

Now it looks like it's possible as long as they don't go ice cold from three.....
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I clearly meant the SEC Tournament. We've been good in it like three times. Outside of that we've made one good run in any other tournament.
WestTexAg12
AG
If superstition is a thing…

The two 100% brackets in ESPN both have the Ags winning round 1.
halfastros81
AG
Brackets are made to be broken
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

bobinator said:

What are you talking about?

We've played well under Buzz in 4 out of 5 POSTSEASON tournaments in the past 3 years.

Won at least 2 games in SECT the last three years - making the finals in two of those years.

Went all the way to the finals in 2022 NIT with dominant play up to the Championship Game- and a close game lost on a final shot barely missing when we were there.

Ran into a red-hot Penn State 3-point shooting buzz saw in last year's NCAAT and lost that one.

We can absolutely make a run in this tournament - especially the way we've been playing in the last seven games.

I'll predict our first ever Elite Eight appearance where we will play OAKLAND for the FIRST TIME this year in Dallas for the right to go to Phoenix.

But first, BTHO Nebraska!!!

Updated my prediction.
Frank Grimes
AG
My bracket says we make a run right to a championship.
Rocinante
This is amazing. We've moved beyond "can we pull off a first round upset?" to arguing about whether we can make a deep run, using a two year old NIT appearance as evidence.
Sterling82
After watching the SEC on the first day, my optimism has taken a hit. But, I still don't see why it can't happen.
Rossticus
I mean, ANYTHING can theoretically happen. The LIKELIHOOD of it happening is the question. If we beat Nebraska and then manage to play our best game of the season against UH, then that likelihood increases substantially. But that's the threshold we have to cross to get from somewhat of a possibility of a run to a reasonable probability. I don't see anyone in the south bracket that I wouldn't be optimistic/feel pretty good going up against if we managed to take out Houston.
Complete Idiot
It's a crapshoot in a tourney.

Who is hot from the field? Typically who wins.

We do some unique things to make box scores weird, but in NU gets into can't miss mode then we are in trouble. If they are clanging shots at or below their typical average and we shoot like we have in recent games, we win.

UH is incredibly good and while I know we ended up with a close score last time, I don't know how reliably repeatable that insane Wade performance is.

It's a crapshoot, which is why my goal/hope for the team is "make the tourney" two out of three years. That's a historically lofty goal for A&M. Winning games in the tourney is harder to control.
frenchtoast
I think we can.
Rocinante
I am worried about Clingan in the national championship game. We really struggle when up against shot blockers. If Boots and Obasaki can't finish at the rim, it makes the spacing on offense really tough.
halfastros81
AG
I don't care who you are that's funny stuff right there.
Southlake
Ask Oakland.

We played Houston pretty tough this year.

We beat Nebraska; we beat Houston.

Really looking at Buzz to see if he can stop the 3. He failed against Penn St. last year.
Wabs
AG
Let's start today by seeing if we can do just 2 things:

1. Make free throws
2. Guard the 3

Do that and we win by double digits.
JPB1991
AG
We simply must make shots. If our March shooting percentages continue, we can make a run.
halfastros81
AG
What reason do you have to believe we will guard the 3 well? It's a clear weakness in our strategy and to some degree it's by design to limit penetration and near rim shots. I think having a significant edge on the boards will be much more important than adjusting proactively to guard the 3 .
Wabs
AG
halfastros81 said:

What reason do you have to believe we will guard the 3 well? It's a clear weakness in our strategy and to some degree it's by design to limit penetration and near rim shots. I think having a significant edge on the boards will be much more important than adjusting proactively to guard the 3 .
Guard the 3 or we will see a repeat of last year. We can "hope" NU is cold but to me that's a losing strategy. Let's see how it plays out.
halfastros81
AG
I get that we'd like that to happen but what makes you think it might? I think we'll dance with what got us here and only adjust if they are killing us with it.
greg.w.h
AG
What should make you think it might happen is the desire of fans for their teams to win. Why predict it won't?
bobinator
AG
We've really turned Nebraska into the greatest three point shooting team of all time on here
Wabs
AG
halfastros81 said:

I get that we'd like that to happen but what makes you think it might? I think we'll dance with what got us here and only adjust if they are killing us with it.
I didn't say that I think it might happen or not. I'm just saying that if it doesn't then we are relying on hope as a strategy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.