Preview of the Nebraska Game

4,439 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by snowdog90
fightintxag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

These guys share my lack of conviction to pick either team in this game.

They bring up a good point about how much we could dominate the boards in this game and how much of a difference that could make. I would think Hoiberg has made a point of emphasis to his team about it, but who knows. Maybe it is as simple as us dominating the glass.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
it seems this game will come down to one key metric. what percentage does nebraska shoot on 3's. if they hit 50% we are in trouble. if they don't and we can stay within a few three pointers of their total i think we win going away because we should be able to dominate the boards and drive to the basket. but if they don't miss there won't be many boards to be had. should be an interesting matchup because of the contrasting styles.
TyperWoods
Dominating the defensive boards isnt much good if Nebraska is hitting 50% on 3 pters.
Method Man
They brought up two things NU is good at.
Shooting, defense
One thing we are good at
Rebounding

I just watched highlights from both teams' last game. UF was hitting wide open 3s. NU can drive and shoot.

Doesn't bode well unless our elite team shows up and they're cold.
akm91
AG
UF also had 2 bigs that can score inside so we collapsed down on them. I'm not sure NU has the same level of scoring threat down low that requires the same level of defensive collapse.
Method Man
akm91 said:

UF also had 2 bigs that can score inside so we collapsed down on them. I'm not sure NU has the same level of scoring threat down low that requires the same level of defensive collapse.

But we will collapse
bobinator
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

it seems this game will come down to one key metric. what percentage does nebraska shoot on 3's.
I think I'd argue it's more likely to come down to what percentage we shoot on threes. Nebraska is probably going to shoot between 30% and 45% on threes, and anywhere close to that range is fine as long as we're getting the rebounds. Nebraska is actually only 3-2 when they shoot better than that because Maryland and Wisconsin kept them off the offensive glass and didn't foul them.

But I think we can fairly safely assume that Nebraska is going to score at least 70 points in this game. The question is can we score that many.
AggieDub04
AG
Agree with this. In their 6 games vs ranked opponents they went 2-4. They were out rebounded in every one of those games. The two games they won were vs Purdue where they shot 60% from three (insane) and Wisconsin where they show 33% but also had a 26-12 free throw advantage so they'll look for an advantage on one of those two fronts. The only one of the ranked games where they did not have a free throw advantage was vs Illinois.

If you look at their season stats Nebraska breaks even on fouls, turnovers, and rebounds. They win by shooting a higher % than their opponents. A&M wins by forcing turnovers and dominating the boards creating extra possessions.

A few areas of comparative advantage for each team.

Rebounds - A&M is the top rebounding and offensive rebounding team in the country while Nebraska ranks as one of the worst rebounding teams by opponent rebounding. Nebraska essentially breaks even on the season while A&M has a plus 10 rebound advantage on average.

Shooting - Nebraska is better in all aspects here from a % standpoint shooting 45% to A&M's 40% and 36% from three to A&Ms 28%. A&M has shot better of late but I don't think you can hope for any advantage here.

Turnovers - a bit of a sneaky category here, Nebraska breaks even on turnovers while A&M forces almost 2 more per game than they commit. This could be an area to turn the game as turnovers and offensive rebounds provide the extra possessions A&M would need to win.

Fouls - both teams are average in terms of how much they foul but A&M forces their opponent to foul more while Nebraska breaks even in terms of fouls vs opponent fouls. This could be another area of advantage if A&M's attacking offense can force some of Nebraska's players into foul trouble, especially their primary big Rienk Mast.

Nebraska goes much deeper on their bench with 8 players averaging more than 15 minutes and none above 30 minutes. A&M has 2 players averaging 30 minutes and only 6 averaging 15 minutes. A&M won't be able to shorten their bench but they probably won't need to as players are used to playing those long minutes already. Nebraska will probably ask Mast to play more minutes this game to try to offset the rebounding advantage similar to what they did against Wisconsin running him for 38 minutes.
bobinator
AG

Quote:

Nebraska goes much deeper on their bench with 8 players averaging more than 15 minutes and none above 30 minutes.
Both teams' season stats are a little misleading here because like us, they've had some injury issues with guys in and out of the lineup. Of their 33 games only two players have played in all of them.

If you look at their conference-only numbers they do have two guys over 30 minutes in Mast and Williams.

Similarly, one of our guys under 15 minutes a game is Manny but we can probably assume he's going to play more than that. Coleman is one of the guys above that mark but who knows how much he'll play.
AggieDub04 said:

Agree with this. In their 6 games vs ranked opponents they went 2-4. They were out rebounded in every one of those games. The two games they won were vs Purdue where they shot 60% from three (insane) and Wisconsin where they show 33% but also had a 26-12 free throw advantage so they'll look for an advantage on one of those two fronts. The only one of the ranked games where they did not have a free throw advantage was vs Illinois.

If you look at their season stats Nebraska breaks even on fouls, turnovers, and rebounds. They win by shooting a higher % than their opponents. A&M wins by forcing turnovers and dominating the boards creating extra possessions.

Rebounds - A&M is the top rebounding and offensive rebounding team in the country while Nebraska ranks as one of the worst rebounding teams by opponent rebounding. Nebraska essentially breaks even on the season while A&M has a plus 10 rebound advantage on average.

Shooting - Nebraska is better in all aspects here from a % standpoint shooting 45% to A&M's 40% and 36% from three to A&Ms 28%. A&M has shot better of late but I don't think you can hope for any advantage here.

Turnovers - a bit of a sneaky category here, Nebraska breaks even on turnovers while A&M forces almost 2 more per game than they commit. This could be an area to turn the game as turnovers and offensive rebounds provide the extra possessions A&M would need to win.

Fouls - both teams are average in terms of how much they foul but A&M forces their opponent to foul more while Nebraska breaks even in terms of fouls vs opponent fouls. This could be another area of advantage if A&M's attacking offense can force some of Nebraska's players into foul trouble, especially their primary big Rienk Mast.

Nebraska goes much deeper on their bench with 8 players averaging more than 15 minutes and none above 30 minutes. A&M has 2 players averaging 30 minutes and only 6 averaging 15 minutes. A&M won't be able to shorten their bench but they probably won't need to as players are used to playing those long minutes already. Nebraska will probably ask Mast to play more minutes this game to try to offset the rebounding advantage similar to what they did against Wisconsin running him for 38 minutes.

nice analysis.

to me i go into every game looking at theee stat lines and invariably it seems to play out based on these three stats.

stay within 3-4 three pointers of the team we are playing. if they make 10 we need to make 6-7

rebounding margin plus 8

attempt 8-10 more free throws than the team we are playing.

when we do these things we have a chance to win against any team in the country. when we don't we can lose to just about anyone as well. if we break even on 3's we almost always win.
bobinator
AG
Not trying to be rude, but like... yeah, obviously right?

Putting those stats together you're basically just saying we need to match their points on threes and free throws and then be at least +8 on the boards.
bobinator said:

Not trying to be rude, but like... yeah, obviously right?

Putting those stats together you're basically just saying we need to match their points on threes and free throws and then be at least +8 on the boards.

what i am saying is the way we overcome our horrific shooting is by outperforming the competition in free throws and rebounds. we have to win big on rebounds and free throws to win on most nights. we also can't get smoked on the spread of three pointers. they can't make 12 and we make 4 or the other metrics don't matter. if you go back and look through the season if we stay within 3 tjeee pointers made of the other team our odds of winning are pretty good. most teams can't say hey if we just make 3-4 theee pointers less we can win but the way our team is built we can win even when we don't make as many threes.

NyAggie
AG
AggieDub04 said:

nice breakdown.

the only thing I'd say is I wouldn't count on the foul advantage because you just never know how the officials will call the game.

halfastros81
AG
True that you don't know how the game will be called but we are going to attack the rim and for the most part they won't. I think that predisposes that they will likely foul more than we will. I think that will be a key element for us. We need to get and make a lot of free throws . We also need to win the boards pretty handily imo.
TjgtAg08
AG
Method Man said:

akm91 said:

But we will collapse

Nebraska runs a 5-out offense, there is no post presence to collapse on.
fightintxag13
AG
TjgtAg08 said:

Method Man said:

akm91 said:

But we will collapse

Dribble penetration. They will try to drive some, and we will inevitably bring a double team. The off ball defenders will have to keep their eyes outside because Nebraska will be setting picks and keep the shooters moving on the outside to get open for the kick out.
Know Your Enemy
AG
So it will be wise to play Wildens even less than usual. Hopefully Coleman can play some quality minutes spelling Solo and Andy. And I pray to the basketball gods we stay out of foul trouble.
NyAggie
AG
halfastros81 said:

True that you don't know how the game will be called but we are going to attack the rim and for the most part they won't. I think that predisposes that they will likely foul more than we will. I think that will be a key element for us. We need to get and make a lot of free throws . We also need to win the boards pretty handily imo.
I agree.

I just hope we get Fair refs on Friday. If they are burying the whistle a lot, it's going to hurt us more since we are the team that relies more on free throws.

rebounding goes without question. That's where we need to make our money

TjgtAg08
AG
fightintxag13 said:

TjgtAg08 said:

Method Man said:

akm91 said:

But we will collapse

Dribble penetration. They will try to drive some, and we will inevitably bring a double team. The off ball defenders will have to keep their eyes outside because Nebraska will be setting picks and keep the shooters moving on the outside to get open for the kick out.
Maybe, but in a 5-out situation its a lot more difficult to truly double penetration because the secondary defender has to come from the wing as well. Honestly, I bet it doesn't happen that much unless its penetration with the big guy from like the elbow or something.

Plus, I don't think they nearly athletic enough to consistently beat us off the dribble in a set defense. But maybe they will adjust as well by bringing someone into the paint a lot more in offensive sets to try to bait us into trapping.

The bigger thing to worry about is getting into over-rotation along the perimeter as the ball is reversed.
Redfishag93
I feel good about how we match up in every way other than 3 point shooting.

Rebounding
Getting to the rim/Getting fouled/free throws
Turnovers
Defending dribble drive
Taking away post offense
We are good at all of this.

We give up too many open 3s and we don't make enough.
Good news is we are shooting much better since manny and solo have come on so strong.

Manny and solo have made us a completely different team.

I feel confident we will be a handful.
TjgtAg08
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

So it will be wise to play Wildens even less than usual. Hopefully Coleman can play some quality minutes spelling Solo and Andy. And I pray to the basketball gods we stay out of foul trouble.
I would agree, at least that will probably be the plan. BUT, maybe Wildens can guard their big guy out on the perimeter ... I don't think he is a big threat to drive from the 3pt line, but if Wildens gets caught in the air, its a guaranteed 3 foul shots, maybe even a 4pt play.

IMO, Solo is a key to this matchup when we are on defense. If he can play good, settled defense and not get wild and over-defend, we can have a lot of success against that 5 out offense. But if he gets over-eager, he can be a foul machine.
coloradoag69
AG
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the relative athleticism of the two teams. I believe, without proof, that we are more athletic than they are. I believe the SEC players in general are more athletic than those in the Big 10.
skaggsjw
AG
We held Sheppard to two shots and 0 points in the second half of the Kentucky game. One of the better adjustments/adherence to the scouting report I have seen from a Buzz team.
EliteZags
AG
coloradoag69 said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the relative athleticism of the two teams. I believe, without proof, that we are more athletic than they are. I believe the SEC players in general are more athletic than those in the Big 10.
I'll agree solely based on # of lunch pails pictured on roster
snowdog90
I know nothing about Nebraska. How good are they at defending dribble drives.

This is the key to the Ag offense. If Nebraska can't stop Boots, Wade and Manny from getting to the rim, the Ags could get up and over 80 points.

If they need help from bigs to stop those drives, Solo, Andy and Coleman could be huge on the offensive glass.

Obviously, the Ags have to contest all the 3's that Nebraska will take, but I think that's easier for this Ag team than it was for last year's team because this year's team is so much more quick and athletic, at least when you replace Coleman and Marble with Solo and Andy.
snowdog90
One other thing...

I have a feeling that Jace Carter may turn a corner Friday. He has incredible shooting form and has proven in the past that he can score. I think maybe he was feeling some pressure, as was the whole team, trying to just make the tournament.

I think he and others may feel a little more free, relaxed and nothing-to-lose now that they're in. I think Jace shoots well Friday - I hope I'm right.
Agsone
AG
The Cornhuskers have appeared in the NCAA tournament eight times with a combined record of 0-8. Nebraska is the only power conference school that has never won a tournament game.
This is their first invite since 2013-14 season.

Ags keep their streak intact.
A&M Give Us Room!
Know Your Enemy
AG
snowdog90 said:

One other thing...

I have a feeling that Jace Carter may turn a corner Friday. He has incredible shooting form and has proven in the past that he can score. I think maybe he was feeling some pressure, as was the whole team, trying to just make the tournament.

I think he and others may feel a little more free, relaxed and nothing-to-lose now that they're in. I think Jace shoots well Friday - I hope I'm right.

Incredible shooting form? If so it's impressive how few shots he actually makes.
Divining Rod
i watched the Illinois v Nebraska game. I hate to say this, but NU looked inferior to us as far as athleticism. I'm not sure how theyre going to stop iur three headed guards attacking the basket.

if we can have a couple threats feom outside to dish to, this coupd be a long game for huskers.
bobinator
AG
Sounds like yall are calling a Hefner breakout game
Aldo the Apache
AG
bobinator said:

Sounds like yall are calling a Hefner breakout game
This place will EXPLODE when he goes for 20 & 10
EliteZags
AG
20pts 10charges drawn
snowdog90
Know Your Enemy said:

snowdog90 said:

One other thing...

Incredible shooting form? If so it's impressive how few shots he actually makes.

That's my point. His form is flawless. It's obviously a mental thing. Hopefully, he figures it out and rips a few Friday.
Craigy
Have a primary defender get all up in Keisei Tominaga business. Hassle him, bump him and try to take him out of the game. May I suggest Radford and spot Lawrence and possibly Solo .
bobinator
AG
Do you mean Manny? Radford's defense is… let's be nice and say inconsistent.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.