Buzz Season 6

11,435 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bobinator
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DTP02 said:

Proposition Joe said:

paterfamilias79 said:

Method Man said:

The guys Buzz initially targeted were very good. We didn't get any of them. Abmas, Luis, the Dominican from auburn, the CC kid

A couple of posters on the premium board say that our NIL is not competitive.

I think most of it is just conjecture. When this year went off the rails a lot of people started shifting the narrative to "we just don't support basketball".

There are people who comment on these things from time to time on TexAgs who are not just speculating. One of the guys commenting on it is one of our bigger donors.

Lack of NIL cost us in some battles this offseason. We also didn't project/evaluate well the guys we did take. Both are true.

That's not different than it's ever been though. We've always lost head to head battles due to compensation.

I agree that both are true. Our NIL is lacking compared to some schools, but that is not the main reason Buzz has struggled in 5 seasons here.
BuzzFan24
MarcAg said:

Method Man, we also know the chances of him getting rid of one of his assistants and going and hiring a hot shot assistant is slim to none.
And that's what makes Buzz, Buzz.
greg.w.h
AG
BuzzFan24 said:

MarcAg said:

Method Man, we also know the chances of him getting rid of one of his assistants and going and hiring a hot shot assistant is slim to none.
And that's what makes Buzz, Buzz.
As Schloss noted, Buzz doesn't currently have a boss…
Maroon Dawn
AG
Buzz's seasons:

1) COVID
2) No hardware. No post season
3) No hardware. No post season
4) No hardware. 1st round exit

5) Not done yet but likely outcome is No Hardware. Early Exit

Season 6 needs to radically improve or the seat deserves to start getting hot
PJYoung
AG
Wasn't he SEC coach of the year twice in there?
FTAG 2000
AG
PJYoung said:

Wasn't he SEC coach of the year twice in there?

Still has as many ncaa tourney wins as you or me as Ags coach. This is year five. It's inexcusable we continue to pay Buzz top ten salary for top 100 results.
PJYoung
AG
Covid took away 1 year, another year we got screwed by the NCAA as everybody except them had us in so we went to the NIT final.

So of the other 2 years we got into the tourney once and lost in a horrific matchup.

If we don't make it this year the heat should be on. But even that isn't realistic because we aren't firing Buzz until maybe 1 year left in his contract because we aren't a basketball school.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Buzz is wearing out is welcome. His teams play hard but he can't seem to recruit guys that can actually put the ball through the hoop. His teams are painful to watch on offense.
DukeMu
I love Buzz. He's a much better coach than BK. I don't love his defensive strategy, but admire our hawking for rebounds.

If Stansbury did our recruiting and NIL, Buzz is a long-term solution.

But Stansbury is at Memphis.
FTAG 2000
AG
PJYoung said:

Covid took away 1 year, another year we got screwed by the NCAA as everybody except them had us in so we went to the NIT final.

So of the other 2 years we got into the tourney once and lost in a horrific matchup.

If we don't make it this year the heat should be on. But even that isn't realistic because we aren't firing Buzz until maybe 1 year left in his contract because we aren't a basketball school.

We end this season with zero ncaa wins and Buzz shouldn't get another year here. He can go be a leader of man somewhere else, we need a coach.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I love Buzz and thought he was a perfect fit but he's been mostly a disappointment so far. I think his #1 downfall has been recruiting. All the other complaints wouldn't exist if the talent level was better.
Bassinagfan
Buzz = Jimbo 2.0 Talks an amazing game, but little to no results

Know Your Enemy
AG
Bassinagfan said:

Buzz = Jimbo 2.0 Talks an amazing game, but little to no results

Not at all. Jimbo had MORE than enough talent to win multiple national championships here.
Artimus Gordon
Bama with a 100 points in a 25 point beatdown. So much for Buzz being a great defensive mind/coach. Kind of like jimbo being a great QB guru. Reality doesn't measure up to the hype.
Muy
AG
The hot seat is warming up for Buzz next season. Maybe do better than have players write gratitude letters and hear quotes?
rsf0626
FTAG 2000 said:

PJYoung said:

We end this season with zero ncaa wins and Buzz shouldn't get another year here. He can go be a leader of man somewhere else, we need a coach.

Probably another reason why Ross Bjork left. Didnt want to deal with firing buzz/hiring another coach
rsf0626
Leander - Ag
AG
Muy said:

The hot seat is warming up for Buzz next season. Maybe do better than have players write gratitude letters and hear quotes?

This.
Houstonag
AG
Same problem turnovers and no defense.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Buzz=Jimbo
Big wins and losses that should have never occurred. Time to move on.
phatty26
6mm for this **** he gotta go
Muy
AG
Article I read shows him at $4.1 million/year and 11th highest paid coach
sellthefarm
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

Bama with a 100 points in a 25 point beatdown. So much for Buzz being a great defensive mind/coach. Kind of like jimbo being a great QB guru. Reality doesn't measure up to the hype.
This is my main complaint as well. We are supposedly a great defensive team but I just don't see it when I watch the games. Our games are low scoring mostly because of how much we eat the clock on offense, then get the board and eat more clock.

What Bama did to us in the first 5 minutes is what great defense looks like. They were in our jocks from the jump and we couldn't even move the ball out near half court. Manny had trouble even calling a timeout because they were so intense on defense. We've never shown anything like that.
JJxvi
AG
Buzz Williams is not a defensive coach. His teams are generally more efficient on offense than they are on defense, as we are this year. The idea that Buzz is a "defensive coach" is number one a type of "football-ism" encroaching on basketball and number two its just wrong even so far as such a thing does go in basketball.

Someone saying something like that doesnt know what they are talking about.
PJYoung
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

PJYoung said:

0% chance.

Maybe the heat is turned up to a too hot level if we miss the tourney this year AND next? I mean, maybe?
JJxvi
AG
We're going to make the tournament so all this message board warrior boner for having a coaching search is a waste of time.
FTAG 2000
AG
Oh I know buzz will be back. It's just we are going to see the same **** again next year.
Warsteiner
JJxvi said:

We're going to make the tournament so all this message board warrior boner for having a coaching search is a waste of time.

I wish I had your confidence
I don't think we make it. Too many games left with zero room for error. And this team isn't consistent enough
JJxvi
AG
Zero room for error? We just need to win like half our remaining games…which luckily for is, we've basically been sticking to like glue
Ag_EE_88
AG
Buzz is giving us everything that people said they wanted. Most everyone said make the tournament every year was all that they wanted. Now if he doesn't make it this year, it's a different story.
jja79
AG
Well he's made the tournament once so not sure what you mean.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Muy said:

Article I read shows him at $4.1 million/year and 11th highest paid coach

So he's a cheaper buyout than Jimbo???
Ag_EE_88
AG
I spend too much time reading what people post on Texags and this has played out. Buzz has gotten a pass for only getting in 1 year.

Year 1 - No tournament + rebuilding year….some on here have even gone as far to say they thought we'd have won the SEC tournament with the way we were playing and have gotten in. (gets a pass)
Year 2 - COVID. Didn't play or practice enough to instill Buzz's team building which is crucial for his success. (gets a Pass)
Year 3 - we were robbed (gets a pass)
Year 4 - made it in
Year 5 - tbd (really the first year he didn't make it if we don't get in….)

I'm actually kind of used to the craziness in which some defend the head coach. I still remember Melvin's last year when he was 0-8 to start conference and there were some that were saying he was the best we could get and couldn't get rid of him because we might lose a recruit. The insanity/loyalty some posters have for the coach is truly mind boggling at times.

JJxvi
AG
Until about this time in February of 2004 you couldnt outright say that you wanted him fired or your post would be removed.
JJxvi
AG
Also big on those threads was XL complaining about how Melvin was getting paid FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS! Or whatever it was.
GigEm04
AG
Dude has to go. Good enough guy but there's no reason we can't win here
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.