New story on Baylor bball arena

3,154 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by TheTexian
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nicely written

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-court-report-why-programs-should-follow-baylor-downsize-arenas-for-better-college-basketball-experience/
bobinator
AG
Psh, you can't even hold a monster truck rally in that thing. Pass.

Kidding aside, it looks awesome.
BQ_90
AG
the irony of us building smaller would be we actually get good then and then we have million threads *****ing about how small the arena is. Like the baseball board does about Olsen
taylorswift13_
Won't affect us in recruiting because Baylor recruits shooters and 5 stars
bobinator
AG
The smaller thing isn't that big of a deal to me. I'm not sure what value it really adds to hold 9,000 people for every game when you could hold 14,000 for bigger games or whatever.

But what's a big deal is the set up. THAT is a basketball arena. Everyone is right on top of the court. Look how vertical some of those seat sections are.

If you have to lose some seats to get that kind of set up, then it's worth it.
BQ_90
AG
i agree. the schools they mentioned had the luxury of going small, because they are small schools. And in BU case they got to move back to campus. They did that in football to.

the sips got a completely different deal all together since they don't really own the facility or they didn't have to pay for it.

I think we all understand A&M isn't going smaller, they care more about it being multi use than good basketball arena.

Or care isn't the right word, the University IMO wants it bigger or the size it is for graduations and monster truck rallies, hahahah

frenchtoast
That looks nice. I doubt we'll ever have the marketing to get to Baylor's level.
bobinator
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

Won't affect us in recruiting because Baylor recruits shooters and 5 stars
Imagine losing a player like LJ Cryer in the portal and it not even being a big deal.
BQ_90
AG
frenchtoast said:

That looks nice. I doubt we'll ever have the marketing to get to Baylor's level.
damn, I had forgotten that marketing is our problem. I guess NIL knocked it off the top of the excuse board
bobinator
AG
combo it, it's our NIL Marketing that's the problem.
frenchtoast
I thought NIL fell under resources..? As we all know, we have the best and most resources.
BQ_90
AG
it does when we win, when we lose it's the fans fault for not giving enough, or showing up, or school doesn't market enough, Reed or Kyle is built on indian burial ground, officials hate us, sips hate us, espn hates us.

ITS NEVER COACHING
frenchtoast
I hope no one is taking my nonsense seriously. I need to be silly to keep from getting too dejected about the season.
bobinator
AG
Until it is and then that's the only thing it is.
fightintxaggie10
AG
We have way more students and alumni. We should have better attendance. I think this falls on the AD. Bill Byrne single handed revitalized our fanbase for non rev sports, the AD matters in getting people interested in basketball amount other sports. I went to a women's bball game in Reed with 14k overflow against Baylor. Oh, and winning falls on the AD too, but it isn't just winning, it's culture. Wtf is going on the BCS that people would rather do than support the local university's basketball team that competes at the highest level of basketball?
LB12Diamond
AG
Interesting

Just yesterday I was talking to some friends that basketball stadiums do not need the second level. One is fine. Like the feel of everyone being close.

Baylor's new stadium looks pretty awesome.
William K. Klingaman
Why not keep Reed for multi-use AND build a smaller true basketball arena that could still be used for other things not requiring the size of Reed? A&M wastes way more money in other areas.
BQ_90
AG
William K. Klingaman said:

Why not keep Reed for multi-use AND build a smaller true basketball arena that could still be used for other things not requiring the size of Reed? A&M wastes way more money in other areas.
where are they wasting 200 million at?

but my guess is the University wasn't willing to let baseball even consider moving Olsen, so they wouldn't bee keen to giving up space for basketball only arena.

Also Baylor has some concessions from the city of Waco for its use and my guess is they got some money from the city.

A&M and the cities of B/CS seem to not wanna work together on something like this. Esp since C/S wants to build their own conference center to host concerts, which would complete against anything A&M has.
greg.w.h
AG
Bryan and College Station got dunned for the Kyle Field expansion by Sharp and it included some access to university facilities. Guessing College Statiin wants to be more than just an extension of the University some day?!?

Kim Mulkey opposed the new arena due to distance to it and likely that was part of leaving to LSU. I know men's basketball fans don't care, but it was an interesting take by her:
BQ_90
AG
Except they didn't. They paid money out of the hotel tax fund so,that they didn't play away from BCS for a year

Kim left Baylor because once Drew won a title she wasn't the face of their AD anymore
frenchtoast
Don't foul this board with that gorgon's name
monarch
S
Leave Reed alone. Outside of changing the concession area around a little and making the restrooms a little bigger, Reed is great for us.
Peace for Ukraine!
greg.w.h
AG
frenchtoast said:

Don't foul this board with that gorgon's name
She's better than Buzz or Joni…
TAMUallen
AG
Don't waste money on changing the size of Reed. Find a new coach that is being paid top 10 with top 10 results and there will be screams for a new larger basketball arena
BaylorHistory
greg.w.h said:

Kim Mulkey opposed the new arena due to distance to it and likely that was part of leaving to LSU. I know men's basketball fans don't care, but it was an interesting take by her:
75AG
AG
monarch said:

Leave Reed alone. Outside of changing the concession area around a little and making the restrooms a little bigger, Reed is great for us.
In addition, it needs suites. It needs better lighting in the upper decks. It needs students on the sidelines. There are a lot of things it needs - it's far from "great for us".
AggieTFA06
AG
I don't want to hear about a new arena until we get a consistant basketball team that I can be proud of.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
94chem
BQ_90 said:

it does when we win, when we lose it's the fans fault for not giving enough, or showing up, or school doesn't market enough, Reed or Kyle is built on indian burial ground, officials hate us, sips hate us, espn hates us.

ITS NEVER COACHING

I knew it was the Indian burial ground! I always wondered why and where all of the grad students were disappearing!
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Gap
AG
Reed doesn't need suites. Most people in suites for football games want to be courtside for basketball.
TheTexian
AG
The biggest thing Reed needs is a student section expansion (preferably that includes a sideline). The SEC has a rule against putting the student section behind the opposing teams's bench, but plenty of SEC schools like Auburn use the opposite sideline.

There were several games last year that had the student sections fill up well before tip, with plenty of empty seats in the sections belonging to season ticket holders. Reward the people who actually show up.

I like Baylor's Foster Pavilion, but the size of A&M's student body means if A&M does downsize from Reed it would have to be 9-10.5k instead of Baylor's 7.5k capacity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.