Rodney Terry

11,821 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halfastros81
Petrino1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgEng06 said:

Austin radio says Terry has or will be offered the job.
Looks like it'll be announced tomorrow.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-basketball-job-being-offered-to-Rodney-Terry-high-level-university-source-tells-Horns247-207375099/
phatty26
I'm fine with it but yesterday was the first time he was outcoached. If Beard was still there they finish Miami and win by 20. Texas is in a no win situation hire another coach who's not black you're racist it is what it is. Time will tell if it's a good hire but let's not confuse it he's on no way shape or form on the level of Chris beard and results show that.
Proposition Joe
The question isn't is he on the level of Chris Beard.

The question is, is there a Chris Beard caliber coach out there for Texas to go after.

Right now, I'm not seeing one. So doesn't hurt to let the Terry test play out for a year.
gunan01
AG
A year? I'm sure he'll get a 4 year contract at minimum.
phatty26
There is if they want to pay and they can but they do like good publicity. Shaka was a better hire and that didn't work out like they thought maybe It will for Terry he seems like a good guy.
Onionman
Who knew that the guy in Breaking Bad was a good Basketball coach?

Know Your Enemy
AG
phatty26 said:

I'm fine with it but yesterday was the first time he was outcoached. If Beard was still there they finish Miami and win by 20. Texas is in a no win situation hire another coach who's not black you're racist it is what it is. Time will tell if it's a good hire but let's not confuse it he's on no way shape or form on the level of Chris beard and results show that.
Typical phatty nonsense.
halfastros81
AG
Gonzaga is in Washington.
TyHolden
AG
halfastros81 said:

Gonzaga is in Washington.
He's from Oregon. That was my point. I should have said Pac West. I doubt he's leaving.
Proposition Joe
gunan01 said:

A year? I'm sure he'll get a 4 year contract at minimum.

Contract years don't matter.

All that matters is the buyout.
halfastros81
AG
Fair enough. I also doubt he's leaving . I will say this, Eastern Washington is more like texas (not Austin) culturally than it is Seattle or Portland, or
phatty26
Know Your Enemy said:

phatty26 said:

Typical phatty nonsense.

You think Terry is a better coach than Beard?
awinlonghorn
Horns win by 10 yesterday if Disu plays. We missed Disu's size against their length. Credit to Miami. They were more aggressive in the 2nd half than Texas. Our 7-man lineup yesterday hurt us.

Terry's success is 100% dependent on how effective he is at recruiting. Beard knew how to put a team together. He has done it in multiple places now. Terry needs to be prove that he can do that between recruiting and the portal.
rsf0626
If he can recruit they are going to be a power for years
Know Your Enemy
AG
phatty26 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

phatty26 said:

Typical phatty nonsense.

I'm saying you making a definitive statement like that with no factual data to support is asinine. But with your posting history it shouldn't surprise anyone.
phatty26
Know Your Enemy said:

phatty26 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

phatty26 said:

Typical phatty nonsense.

I'm saying you making a definitive statement like that with no factual data to support is asinine. But with your posting history it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Ok whatever your point is but I'm not making any definitive assumptions other than Beard is a better coach.
Know Your Enemy
AG
phatty26 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

phatty26 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

phatty26 said:

Typical phatty nonsense.

Ok whatever your point is but I'm not making any definitive assumptions other than Beard is a better coach.
The **** do you call "If Beard was still there they finish Miami and win by 20" then? SMDH
phatty26
Fair enough don't get all worked up about an opinion. It's Ut sports but records show that he is a better coach maybe they don't win by 20 but no doubt they choked.
BGAg1997
AG
Happy that they have made him the permanent coach. Tough situation this year leading the team through that difficult situation that Beard left them in.

Looking froward to playing them when they get to the SEC. Buzz will have our team at the elite level then.
mikesyracuse1
MarcAg said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Not really a decision to be made now! I don't think this is where they wanted to go, but it's pretty much sealed up now.

Mikesyracuse1

Now what would be interesting is if they came to a silent agreement with somebody like the week they fired Beard before Terry made this strong run

They were absolutely gaging interest for the job.

Mikesyracuse1
GrayMatter
AG
So are we thinking that Terry was Plan B?
Belton Ag
AG
GrayMatter said:

So are we thinking that Terry was Plan B?

I personally don't think he was necessarily Plan B, more like Plan 1b. I think they probably tried to pull someone like a Calipari, Izzo or Brad Stevens and were told no. They then went with the "safe" option in Terry. So it was either turn the college basketball world on its head or go with Terry. It was a high ceiling, low floor situation for them.
halfastros81
AG
I think they felt obligated and I am on the fence if it was the best thing for their program or not. Only time will tell. I feel pretty sure we'd have done the same and there would be some people pissed off about it here and I think they will have the same.

I think he'll do ok. Will not be some massive fail but maybe not massive success either .
frenchtoast
I think they would have only beaten Miami by 14 if Beard was the coach.
Aggie1188
I'm glad to be wrong about them hiring him. I think he's a Mid. When I listen to him talk, nothing remotely advanced ever comes from his mouth in my opinion.
Faustus
https://boardroom.tv/rodney-terry-texas-longhorns-contract/

5 years, $15.3 million, so not breaking the bank by any means.

There's no disclosure what the buyout is, but I imagine Texas agreed to a deal that allowed them enough wiggle room on a number if Terry doesn't do well.

Hopefully Disu comes back for one more year, and our young guys don't bolt.
Next year should be interesting.
NyAggie
AG
I think Terry will keep them in the dance but won't do anything special, but we'll see.

Faustus
Ron Holland tweeted support for Terry, so at least one of the incoming recruits is excited.
GrayMatter
AG
frenchtoast said:

I think they would have only beaten Miami by 14 if Beard was the coach Disu had played.
FIFY
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
GrayMatter said:

frenchtoast said:

I think they would have only beaten Miami by 14 if Beard was the coach Disu had played.
FIFY

Is this the new "if colt didn't get hurt"?
GrayMatter
AG
I don't know who this Colt is, but Disu was the reason they got past Penn St.

He was averaging over 20 points so yeah they terribly missed him.
NyAggie
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

GrayMatter said:

frenchtoast said:

FIFY

Is this the new "if colt didn't get hurt"?

Ha ha

Sips always have an excuse
halfastros81
AG
Maybe a legitimate excuse tho.
NyAggie
AG
halfastros81 said:

Maybe a legitimate excuse tho.

But their sips so they can suck it, no sympathy from me
johnnyblaze36
AG
Faustus said:

Ron Holland tweeted support for Terry, so at least one of the incoming recruits is excited.
I'm watching him in the McDonald's All-American game right now. He's going to be electric for the sips.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.