Free Transfers

2,940 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by southwestag
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This was basically inevitable, but still interesting to see it happen this fast. With all of the players requesting waivers for immediate eligibility even if they'd already transferred previously, the NCAA is trying to get out of the waiver business.

Know Your Enemy
greg.w.h
AG
It's the correct approach. And the very best talent already is here for at most one year.

But I doubt traditional MBB fans will be excited. I'll note that I got an indicator today that some universities are specifically funding education and calling it Alston funding. I was surprised, but you know I think the SCOTUS 9-0 2021 NCAA v. Alston decision requires a response regarding more competition for specifically educational benefits prior to Congress passing a law, so it was interesting. I will leave that to your imagination, but I can't say anything else on the subject.
Ag_EE_88
AG
That seems like it would make Buzz alter his strategy in getting transfers somewhat. Last I heard him talk about it, they specifically got guys who used their free transfer year in hopes that they'd be here for more time. If that's still what he was planning on, he'll need to adapt to the new recruiting landscape where people are coming and going every year. Guys who like to hit to rebuild their team every year are going to have an advantage for sure.
Method Man
This will hurt parity in college basketball. Along with super conferences and NIL. Too much too soon.
greg.w.h
AG
Two articles on Alston academic achievemen awards that date to early in the year or last year. Under this system the NCAA is able to cap amounts. Not germane to the entire thread, but part of the shifting terrain.

Nov 39, 2021

https://www.bakertilly.com/insights/institutions-begin-paying-student-athletes

Jan 20, 2022

https://gamecocksonline.com/news/2022/01/20/featured-south-carolina-athletics-provides-alston-funds-to-all-student-athletes/
Rocinante
Method Man said:

This will hurt parity in college basketball. Along with super conferences and NIL. Too much too soon.

What do you mean exactly by hurt parity?
MarcAg
AG
I mean it's technically already happening. Guys are getting waivers for that second transfer.
Tavares19
AG
College Athletics are getting harder and harder to be a fan of every single year.

They really need to dial this back. NIL is fine. Unlimited free agency without restrictions is not. Have always felt like players should be required to sit a year unless
1.Their head coach leaves
2.they are a graduate of the University
3.they drop down a level (D1 to D2, FBS to FCS)

Watching a European soccer model where the same teams win all the trophies is not something that is healthy for sports.
Craigy
Yes the money looks like it will kills D1 sports. The reason we support the teams because we fill we have some type of allegiance to a particular school. Without that I feel the support will be very limited
Know Your Enemy
AG
CraigSU84 said:

Yes the money looks like it will kills D1 sports. The reason we support the teams because we fill we have some type of allegiance to a particular school. Without that I feel the support will be very limited
LMAO. We don't support basketball unless we are winning anyway.
greg.w.h
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

CraigSU84 said:

LMAO. We don't support basketball unless we are winning anyway.
Speaking truth to people who claim the "product on the floor" prevents their "fan"atic support…
CapCityAg89
AG
Not to be too far up on my high horse, but I tend to college sports for the name on the front of the jersey. That's why I've stayed an Aggie hoops fan regardless of player or coach.
greg.w.h
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Not to be too far up on my high horse, but I tend to college sports for the name on the front of the jersey. That's why I've stayed an Aggie hoops fan regardless of player or coach.
I got busy after going to the conference tournament in 1987 (yes that one.). But then I heard about this guy named Gillispie…
Method Man
The third transfer in three years in the one that kills you
DeangeloVickers
AG
Are kids even gonna go to class?
Know Your Enemy
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Are kids even gonna go to class?

You still have to be academically eligible. SMH
NyAggie
AG
College sports have sneaks had a high turnover of athletes

I watch A&M sports because it's A&M not because of who's on the team

IMHO if a player transfers more than once then maybe he doesn't have the right mindset and he's not necessarily a player you want on your team

bobinator
AG
Kinda surprised but the word today is that this isn't going to go into effect this year.
southwestag
Doesn't make sense to even put that to a vote - but these same kids we fight to get are transferring 10 times in high school so this isn't a surprise this behavior still goes on
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.