Diarra in the portal

13,482 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Tango.Mike
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator
AG
Diarra is one I had gone back and forth on as far as a long term playmaker for us.
HossAg
AG
I don't get why he's transferring
awrollins
I don't love it at all, but I don't hate it either. Curious to see who Buzz brings in. Diarra seemed like a great kid and I wish him the best
Anchorhold
NO!!!!!!!!!!! He's my favorite!
mikesyracuse1
If anyone is surprised by any surprise transfers, you haven't been paying attention to the portal and the new transfer rules.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
I'd rank Diarra as like a three star surprise transfer on a five star scale right?
HossAg
AG
I'd say 4
bobinator
AG
Eh... like, it's surprising, but it's not THAT surprising right?

I look at it like:

* - would almost be a bigger surprise if they returned
** - "yeah, makes sense" (I'd put Cash here)
*** - "Didn't expect that"
**** - "Oh wow, that's a huge surprise"
***** - "WTF is going on with our program"
HossAg
AG
Idk, I still feel like he's at a 4 for me. He seemed pretty bought in, and I don't think Buzz would force him out.
Topher17
AG
During the middle stretch of the season, he was pretty high on my expected transfer list. However, down the stretch he played some decent ball and I thought he'd for sure be back. This makes me curious if we have someone coming in and maybe Buzz was honest with him about his playing time. Also a chance he knows he can start at a smaller school and he isn't going to start here. Definitely a bit of a surprise.
bobinator
AG
Bought in, but frankly, not all that good. He had some clutch moments, but I wouldn't exactly feel confident in us as a tournament team if he was a starter.

I did think he has kind of turned it on late in the season and was looking better though, so it's definitely a little bit of a surprise, especially because of how much it seemed like he and Buzz liked each other.

I guess for me the reason it's not a four is it doesn't negatively impact how good I think we'll be next season. A four star surprise for me is maybe more like "damn, that sucks."

I'd put Radford, Coleman, Taylor and Obaseki in that group.

Coleman and Radford maybe five stars.
HossAg
AG
Yeah that makes sense. It's not a huge loss, I just didn't expect it at all. Someone like Radford leaving would definitely be a 4 or 5.
taylorswift13
AG
Are him and Buzz still friends for life
frenchtoast
That's a bummer. I really enjoyed seeing his improvement over this season. He has a lot of hustle and a lot of heart. I wish him well wherever he ends up.
Know Your Enemy
AG
bobinator said:

Bought in, but frankly, not all that good. He had some clutch moments, but I wouldn't exactly feel confident in us as a tournament team if he was a starter.

I did think he has kind of turned it on late in the season and was looking better though, so it's definitely a little bit of a surprise, especially because of how much it seemed like he and Buzz liked each other.

I guess for me the reason it's not a four is it doesn't negatively impact how good I think we'll be next season. A four star surprise for me is maybe more like "damn, that sucks."

I'd put Radford, Coleman, Taylor and Obaseki in that group.

Coleman and Radford maybe five stars.

I agree pretty much 100% with this take. Diarra was probably farther down my list of possible transfers but that was more because of how tight he was with Buzz. Not really a huge loss on the court. Good luck to him wherever he goes.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Now we have to get another in game coach.
aggiebones
AG
He's not all that replaceable for the 1st half of the season.

Clutch player
Knows system
Comes off the bench ready.

He's the type of player that prevents bad losses early and maybe helps sneak a clutch win. The kind of stuff to get you in the tournament.

He probably wanted Qs spot and wasn't gonna get it.
Shame for us.
EliteZags
AG
txag72
AG
A story of unrequited love apparently. Didn't see that one coming.
Topher17
AG
aggiebones said:

He's not all that replaceable for the 1st half of the season.

Clutch player
Knows system
Comes off the bench ready.

He's the type of player that prevents bad losses early and maybe helps sneak a clutch win. The kind of stuff to get you in the tournament.

He probably wanted Qs spot and wasn't gonna get it.
Shame for us.

I don't really agree with this.

To me he is a guy that is replaceable. There are a lot of decent PGs out there who struggle to shoot the ball. He was good late in the year at getting to the rim and he came up big in the clutch, but I don't think he's at all a guy that takes a team from bubble to tournament team. I think there's a good chance we can land someone better and at worst comparable.

I think the hardest aspect to replace is the leadership he brought to the team, which will require someone on the roster to step up. I liked Hassan and I think he will do well at his next stop.
miller0926
AG
Knew we would at least have 1 or 2 of these "kinda" unexpecteds.

Will never forget going silently nuts in my office after his Florida buzzer beater
bobinator
AG
Diarra might be all timer for like clutch shots versus overall shots. Up there with Antwan Space.
Topher17
AG
Per the premium board, Hassan may have been looking for some assurances as far as increased role goes and Buzz tried hard to keep him, but wasn't willing to make those promises. Have to say I respect that from all sides.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him end up back closer to NYC and do well at his next stop.
Gap
AG
We need to add a starting PG that is taller than 5'10" now. That is a must.
phorizt
I'm just surprised that anyone could be surprised by this.
taylorswift13
AG
Us right now

WGann3
AG
bobinator said:

Diarra might be all timer for like clutch shots versus overall shots. Up there with Antwan Space.
Tavares19
AG
phorizt said:

Well considering Buzz loves the dude and he was one of the teams leaders, I'm surprised that you're surprised that anyone is surprised by this
Tobias Funke
AG
bobinator said:

Space's fury was primarily aimed at Tennessee
Proposition Joe
Tavares19 said:

phorizt said:

Well considering Buzz loves the dude and he was one of the teams leaders, I'm surprised that you're surprised that anyone is surprised by this

Buzz gushed over Flagg as well. Instragram best buddies.
MarcAg
AG
Gap said:

This team doesn't need a PG.
aggiedrjdub
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Are him and Buzz still friends for life
lol @taylor

This sucks, though. I really like him. It's hard to see the good guys go, but if he wants more playing time I'm sure this is the right move for him.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Method Man
This is explosive news.
Gap
AG
MarcAg said:

Gap said:

This team doesn't need a PG.
Who is your starter - Gordon or Taylor?

Both guys role shrunk as last year progressed. I like some things about each, but is either ideally a 30 minute per game player because of other things in their game?

In the two games at MSG:

Taylor - 4.0 pts, 0.0 rebs, 1.5 assts, 1.5 turnovers

Gordon - 1.0 pts, 2.0 rebs, 0.0 assts, 0.0 turnovers
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.