Joe Lunardi on A&M

9,671 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txag72
Topher17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Michigan was getting in. The fact they aren't in the play-in is the issue I have with it.
20ag07
Quote:

Ok….that's doesn't excuse lunardi's illogical stance.
Well, he sure seemed to be right.
So now we're landing on:
-The "committee" leaked for days they'd never pick TAMU
-The committee is being influenced by Lunardi's picks.
-Or he just was right originally about what they thought about us, after reluctantly changing it to put us in at the minute, then still being wrong.

Logic for what the committee SHOULD do ain't his game, logic for what they WILL do is, unfortunately he was right. Big money and politics didn't drive any of that one on this one, however.

8 straight did.
aginlakeway
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

So now we're landing on:
-Or he just was right originally about what they thought about us, after reluctantly changing it to put us in at the minute, then still being wrong.

Logic for what the committee SHOULD do ain't his game, logic for what they WILL do is, unfortunately he was right. Big money and politics didn't drive any of that one on this one, however.

8 straight did.

Ok. So same question I asked before.

If we would have gone the same 1-8 in that stretch by losing 6 straight then winning 1 then losing 2 straight, you're saying we would have made the tournament? I 100% disagree if you think we would have.

The losses would have hurt us the same, consecutively or otherwise.
JJxvi
AG
Again, there's no conspiracy theory, its just analysis.

Joe Lunardi seems to know that the committee will be down on Texas A&M, he is essentially the only media player on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday that believes A&M is in trouble.

The entire rest of the basketball bracket picking world ends up believing that A&M is in with a 95% confidence (see bracket matrix). Joe ends up following this wave as well and gets it wrong (later claiming he knew and should have gone with his numbers..., err I mean his proprietary info... errr I mean, gut, I think he said gut.

Joe Lunardi cannot explain with any details, formulas or explanations about why he thought Texas A&M wouldn't make it, he just knows somehow. Rece Davis asks him point blank why he thinks Tennessee is a #3 behind all of the two seeds and he cannot answer, he bables incoherently and says "its a secret." Its not really a difficult conclusion to draw here. He had more information than the rest of us, but he doesnt want to say that. Thats just the conclusion I draw. Everything else is speculation because people are asking "how or why that would be possible"
91AggieLawyer
AG
PatriotAg02 said:

It's all politics. Politics run the world. Satanic bs.

Wyoming has more political clout than we do? Thats some serious BAS talking there.

The committee has one large gaffe each year. This was probably it. They get fixated on something and follow through without thinking in 1-3 cases. Its been going on for 20+ years. One reason I quit making tournament predictions. Getting down to the last 2 wasn't THAT big of a challenge but then watching them butcher those 2 was.
20ag07
8 straight hurt us.

8 LATE hurt way more.

If that script started in Jan, then flipped, yes, I do think we've got a diff result.

I just don't understand why we'd think we could whine when we lost 8 late/and/or/ straight.

Some other people did too…but never leave that math in the hands of an Arizona State professor, and random ADs and former players.

Don't think Lunardi was out of bounds for recognizing the committee would probably punish 8 straight/late in this or any other year.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

So now we're landing on:

8 straight did.

Believe what you want. All your points have already been covered.

" Big money and politics didn't drive any of that one on this one, however."

You must be young. Above is always true.
aginlakeway
AG
20ag07 said:

8 straight hurt us.

8 LATE hurt way more.

If that script started in Jan, then flipped, yes, I do think we've got a diff result.

I just don't understand why we'd think we could whine when we lost 8 late/and/or/ straight.

Some other people did too…but never leave that math in the hands of an Arizona State professor, and random ADs and former players.

Don't think Lunardi was out of bounds for recognizing the committee would probably punish 8 straight/late in this or any other year.

Well it seems like all of college basketball is whining. It's just not Aggies.

Why do you think that is?
20ag07
Quote:

Believe what you want. All your points have already been covered.

" Big money and politics didn't drive any of that one on this one, however."

You must be young. Above is always true.
But you must be too old to articulate *exactly* what big money and politics are at play here.

Uh, the MWC's big money pushed Wyoming in?

NBC/ESPN pushed Notre Dame into CBS's tourney?
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

He had more information than the rest of us, but he doesn't want to say that.
He has always had this uncanny ability to revise his picks to just one or two wrong about an hour before the selection show. That "ability" and this whole sordid snubbing episode just confirms my suspicions of inside information.

Think of me what you will, but you're never going to convince me otherwise.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TAM85
23-12, top 5 win, 3 top 20 wins. 8 in a row is a red hearing and doesn't matter anymore than being 15-2 or winning 9 of last 10. The body of work is 23-12.

The committee should be embarrassed by ts ineptitude. And the individuals on it should be relieved of duty.
TAM85
24 hour rule. It's done. Time to move on and watch the NIT.
aginlakeway
AG
TAM85 said:

23-12, top 5 win, 3 top 20 wins. 8 in a row is a red hearing and doesn't matter anymore than being 15-2 or winning 9 of last 10. The body of work is 23-12.

The committee should be embarrassed by ts ineptitude. And the individuals on it should be relieved of duty.

Yep.
DartmouthAg
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Every single team, but one (ATM of course) receiving votes for the final week's rankings made the dance. At least 5 at large bids had zero votes: Michigan, Indiana, Notre Dame, Wyoming, and Rutgers.
TheChameleon
AG
Where Lunardi messed up is having us as the "next four out" before the SEC tournament started. So when we won those 3 games, every rational person thought we were a lock to get in. Of course if you beat those 3 opponents consecutively, that would catapult you from next four out to in the field.

In reality, we were NOT next four out when the SEC tournament started. We weren't even all that close probably. All those 3 wins did was to put us on the bubble. Lunardi got everyone's hopes up after Saturday due to where he had us slotted prior to Tampa... And honestly he had it right. That's where we should've been, and those 3 wins should've been enough. But the committee has us too low to begin with.
johnnyblaze36
AG
TAM85 said:

The committee should be embarrassed by its ineptitude. And the individuals on it should be relieved of duty. in solitary confinement.
jja79
AG
I guess I can get why some were upset with him but he's just voicing an opinion and in the end he was right. I disagree but he was right sadly.
txag72
AG
Quote:

I still think a LOT of this is the basketball establishment not wanting the SE to become a dominant force in basketball too
Bingo!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.