Better analytics site than KenPom

3,764 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ar1996
DenverAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found this site BartTorvik that has more advanced stats and according to this we are one of the first teams out.

https://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?team=Texas+A%26M&year=2022
sleepybeagle
AG
Good data thanks
DeangeloVickers
AG
We win out we are a #1 seed with Baylor, Gonzaga, and Auburn!

Really cool site

Legal Custodian
AG
I put in these results which would give us a 23-10 (11-7) record. It has projected us as the very last team in. That surprised me and doesn't leave us a bunch of room for error.

Legal Custodian
AG
Damn, I played around with it where we only had 4 conference losses (LSU, Kentucky, Alabama, Vanderbilt) and it projected us as an 8 seed. That's a 26-7 (14-4) record and that only equates to an 8 seed? Damn.
GrayMatter
AG
Those projections are based on the current bubble right now. There's no way to project what it will look like 2 months from now.

Just enjoy the ride!
bobinator
AG
Whoa, this website looks pretty deep.
TjgtAg08
AG
The problem we may run into is the inability to log any Top 40-75 range wins. Its either inside the Top 40 or outside the Top 80 for the SEC right now.

That may be why this site has us barely in at 11-7 ... still not really any Q1 wins. Also thats going off pure analytics, completely ignoring the human element of the selection.
DenverAg91
AG
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Texas+A%26M&year=2022

Here is the A&M overview, it's pretty detailed
fightintxag13
AG

I plugged in these results (12-6 in conference) and it only has us in the last 4 byes. I have a hard time believing that. I put in a home win against LSU because I really think we'll win one that we shouldn't on paper. I also plugged in home loss to State because I also think we'll drop one we shouldn't.
fightintxag13
AG
This is probably the reason why this site is so marginal on our tournament chances. I think we're gonna have to jump up and grab at least one Quad 1 win to significantly improve our chances.
bobinator
AG
I wish a site, and maybe this one does but i haven't gotten to explore it much yet, had a way to check out +/- of different player combinations on the season.
bobinator
AG
I think it's just because there's too much outstanding data for a data-based NCAA Tournament projection right now.
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

I think it's just because there's too much outstanding data for a data-based NCAA Tournament projection right now.
Yep.

For grins, I had us winning out and winning the SEC tournament against Auburn. It projected us as a #5 Seed which doesn't seem right to me if that were to actually happen.
bobinator
AG
Lol no, we'd probably be the overall #1 seed.
DeangeloVickers
AG
bobinator said:

Lol no, we'd probably be the overall #1 seed.

I did the same and it had us #2 overall seed behind Baylor
bingram1230
AG
I don't find it shocking, as people said conference has some good win chances but our non conference wasn't great which is why I thought that 11-7 or 12-6 is what we need to get in order to be in the tournament. 10-8 I don't think will cut it, but no matter what I have enjoyed this team this year and hope the ride continues.
t - cam
AG
Legal Custodian said:

I put in these results which would give us a 23-10 (11-7) record. It has projected us as the very last team in. That surprised me and doesn't leave us a bunch of room for error.

We need to get 1 or 2 of the marquee games. We need a real resume builder. Beating the bad teams isn't going to be enough.

PatriotAg02
AG
Yep, we get a couple of Q1 wins and take care of business where we should otherwise, we are in.
bobinator
AG
I think it would be enough, but it would certainly build in some room for error if we could take down one of the big ones.
halfastros81
AG
11 wins in conference. Should do it. Hope they're right .

Actually hope they're underestimating W's but would take
It. Feel like Fla could be a W but also feel like Ms St and Arky could be L's. May need to pull off an upset or 2
Gil Renard
AG
I think 10 gets us on the soft bubble. 11 is a lock and a 8-12 seed
Gap
AG
Fun site to play with. We have work to do.
Kellso
That site has Houston as the current #1 overall seed, and Baylor is #3.

Will be interesting to see how many Texas schools make the NCAA tournament.

I put the number at 8.
Gap
AG
Doing what ifs on this site are great.
ar1996
AG
Agreed, the what ifs on this site are great! Until you do it for our season and realize if we had just pulled out 2-3 of our 9 conference losses we'd still have a great chance at NCAAT. It was there for the taking…
ar1996
AG
Do we think 3-1 in these last 4 will get us in NIT? Or will we need to win a couple in conf. tourney?
Topher17
AG
adamrohrbough said:

Do we think 3-1 in these last 4 will get us in NIT? Or will we need to win a couple in conf. tourney?

Doubtful unless the run in the conference tournament is to the semis or even the final.
Proposition Joe
adamrohrbough said:

Agreed, the what ifs on this site are great! Until you do it for our season and realize if we had just pulled out 2-3 of our 9 conference losses we'd still have a great chance at NCAAT. It was there for the taking…

Problem with that line of thinking is that there's about 3 dozen schools that had they pulled out a couple of wins they'd be in the hunt.

We were out of the tournament talk by 1st week in February.

We're a bad team.
ar1996
AG
I agree with you. I just think it makes me realize how thin of a line it is in college basketball in general. There's no credit given on NCAAT resumes for 'close' losses. It's either a win or a loss.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to finish. Good teams finish.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.