Roster 4/29

6,880 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Goodson
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this the last roster update?

Backcourt:
1. Quenton Jackson (1 yr of eligibility remaining )
2. Andre Gordon (3)
3. Aaron Cash (3)
4. Marcus Williams (4)
5. Hayden Hefner (4)
6. Hassan Diarra (4)
7. Manny Obaseki (4)
8. Wade Taylor (4)

Frontcourt:
1. Ethan Henderson (2)
2. Henry Coleman (4)
3. Javonte Brown (4)
4. Ashton Smith (4)

Other possibilities:
2 open scholarships
bobinator
AG
I'm guessing no
Ag Eng 92
AG
McGhee?
bobinator
AG
Not on scholarship.
Method Man
Not someone who should play and only got minutes because our two posts are the worst in the last twenty years sans butterfras.
bobinator
AG
Gonna start game one just to spite you
Ulrich
That's starting to look like a team.
jaxisback
I think McGhee is highly likely for a scholarship
Method Man
I know.
MarcAg
AG
Cash has 2 years
Pumpkinhead
AG
So if we pretend everyone with 4 years of eligibility remaining is a freshman, then that is a pretty insane fish class!
Hop
Staff
AG
Not based on any scoop I have, but if I had to guess they will take one more and carryover No. 13.
wacarnolds
AG
MarcAg said:

Cash has 2 years

I read that he was a freshman last year. Did he redshirt?
bballcoach
Covid
MarcAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

MarcAg said:

Cash has 2 years

I read that he was a freshman last year. Did he redshirt?

He played two seasons of juco and I think he also redshirted.
bobinator
AG
I'm interested in the story here, because he was originally class of '18 right?

Then it looks like he ends up at St. Augustine University, which is DII, and at least played some there, then moves to Grayson where he played one season.

So as I understand it, he redshirted at St. Augustine in 18-19(?), played at St. Augustine in 19-20, played at Grayson in 20-21?

I assume JuCo players don't get the extra year and that's why he's got two to play two?
gstu11
Juco guys also got the free year. He should be a sophomore again this coming year.
MarcAg
AG
I think your timeline is correct. He might just have not have been enrolled anywhere that first year. Or he redshirted.

He has 2 today, but maybe could get a waiver.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30170445/njcaa-blanket-waiver-ensures-juco-athletes-lose-eligibility-2020-21-season%3fplatform=amp

" The NCAA, which has also issued a waiver for competition this season, will not automatically apply the NJCAA's decision for transfer students, and will require NCAA schools to submit a waiver or extension request for review based on each athlete's specific situation. But it's likely the NJCAA's waiver will be considered in the process."
bobinator
AG
gstu11 said:

Juco guys also got the free year. He should be a sophomore again this coming year.
Yeah, what Marc posted is an important distinction even though it sounds like the NCAA might honor the waiver if schools apply for it, but the NJCAA's waiver does not apply to the NCAA and vice versa.

Both groups gave their athletes an extra year of eligibility, but they can't make decisions regarding eligibility for each other. So Cash's NCAA "5-to-play-4" clock started when he got to St. Augustine.
MarcAg
AG
My article was really old, so things could have changed
bobinator
AG
The NCAA eligibility site makes it sound like junior college players will get the extra year.

Pumpkinhead
AG
I'll be honest, of the 5 transfers that Buzz is adding thus far:

Brown
Williams
Coleman
Henderson
Cash

I am least excited by Cash.

I feel like Brown, Williams, and Coleman may all have high ceilings if they are multi-year guys. Brown and Coleman look raw but are elite athletically. Williams look plenty athletic enough and also highly skilled. I don't know what they will ultimately be, but there are reasons that make me optimistic.

Henderson, I feel like I know pretty much what he is. Can be a solid 3rd big off a bench given you 10-15 mpg of hustle, rebounding, and some rim protection. If he's in position to slam dunk the ball, he'll complete the dunk. And he'll be able to do that vs. SEC competition. I think he was a good pickup as a roster piece.

Cash...I got no idea to make of what he is. His 3P% looks great, but against lower level competition. Comments by Logan types such as "not an exceptional athlete" didn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings.
bobinator
AG
I think you're hoping to be so hard to guard everywhere else that he's basically just a shooter.
phorizt
I've watched every highlight I can find of Coleman and I don't see elite athlete at all. He's a good all around athlete who is a 6'7" PF people said brings a lot of toughness, energy and leadership who can rebound and score around the basket. From what I've seen he's a lot like Miller but 20 pounds heavier.
bobinator
AG
I don't think he's a leaper, but I think he's really strong. I'd agree he's not an "elite" athlete, but he's a very good one. I think sometimes when someone says "great athlete" in basketball they just mean they're fast and can jump high, but I think he's really athletic he just might be more of a strength guy than a jumper.

I do agree though that I wouldn't say he's an "elite" athlete. For me he kind of looks like a poor man's Zion.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I don't think he's a leaper, but I think he's really strong. I'd agree he's not an "elite" athlete, but he's a very good one. I think sometimes when someone says "great athlete" in basketball they just mean they're fast and can jump high, but I think he's really athletic he just might be more of a strength guy than a jumper.

I do agree though that I wouldn't say he's an "elite" athlete. For me he kind of looks like a poor man's Zion.

That is how the Duke fan board described him. Not a 'leaper' ' type but really strong and apparently relentless attacking the offensive boards. Lives up to the 'Power' part of the PF title. But not much offensive game yet to speak of outside of dunks and hustle plays around the rim. He isn't going to have anything near Miller's mid-range shooting game, not without a bunch of development improvement.
Matsui
sincereag
Maybe he can be a Mark Vital type of player...an enforcer inside the paint and a finisher of alley oops from Marcus Willliams.
Method Man
Maybe like our guy Jalen Jones
mazag08
AG
Here's my look at the roster so far. Is Henderson a senior or does he get a redo of his junior year because of COVID?

Look at the turnover..

Edit: the recruiting names "still in play" weren't updated from last time I did this. Ignore those.
SouthwesternAg
S
Missing Williams I think
MarcAg
AG
Henderson has 2 years to play.
Goose06
AG
Anyone have a projected starting lineup and depth chart?

Maybe something like this:

PG: Gordon / Diarra / Taylor
SG: Williams / Obaseki
SF: Hall / Jackson / Hefner
PF: Coleman / Henderson
C: JBF / Smith

Seems like we would expect Obaseki to crack the starting lineup if he is as good as advertised. Maybe thats over Gordon and you move Williams to PG or maybe that sover a guy like Coleman and you move Hall to PF. Or maybe we go small and run Hall and Coleman as our "bigs"? What does everyone think here?
mazag08
AG
I've seen enough of Buzz ball to know that the starting lineup is ever changing, meaningless, and not worth thinking about at this point of the year.
MarcAg
AG
Yeah who finishes games and who gets most minutes is what is going to matter.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.