NCAA on the verge of approving immediate eligibility for all 1st time transfers

4,121 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bobinator
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://apnews.com/article/hockey-football-basketball-college-sports-39f96def99682694be46d62b4fd53948

The Division I Council meets Wednesday and Thursday, and the agenda includes voting on a proposal that would grant all college athletes the ability to transfer one time as undergraduates without having to then sit out a season of competition.

All indications are the proposal will pass. When it does, athletes in football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey will for the first time be immediately eligible to play after switching schools without asking for special permission.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Folks bothered by the Transfer Portal are just going to have to adapt. That is the new reality, and college coaches are going to have to adapt as well because roster building and maintenance has gotten a heck of a lot more complicated.
bobinator
AG
Overdue, but progress is progress.
rlb28
AG
1,354 in the portal as of 2:45 p.m. today
PascalsWager
AG
Ability to benefit from their likeness and free transfers make the conditions as player friendly as possible. Once the NBA opens the floodgates, college basketball is going to have to beg players in the top 50 (maybe even top 100) to not declare right out of high school.

I'm for anything that keeps the talent in college basketball. If the talent leaves, college basketball is over for me. Mere gambling devoid of talent doesn't overcome an already bad product.
bobinator
AG
By open the floodgates do you mean just make things like they used to be before 2007?
Method Man
I think kids should be able to leave for the nba and if they suck they should be able to come back. Just once though.
_lefraud_
AG
Meh, the NBA has the best talent in the world, and that product sucks ass...to each their own.

Also, why would the NBA ever do away with their age requirement?
PascalsWager
AG
bobinator said:

By open the floodgates do you mean just make things like they used to be before 2007?
2005 was eons ago in terms of players' mentality. It's nave to think 2 or 3 guys will declare for the draft if the NBA lowers their age limit.

It's going to be 50 plus guys declaring in the first draft from high school. Maybe things will normalize eventually. But the number of one and dones show that no one is going to wait to pay their dues. At least the entire lottery in perpetuity will be 18 year old high schoolers.

If I'm wrong and its one or two Gerald Greens and Josh Smiths every year like it was in the early 2000s, I'll gladly eat crow.
PascalsWager
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Meh, the NBA has the best talent in the world, and that product sucks ass...to each their own.

Also, why would the NBA ever do away with their age requirement?
Its fair to think their product sucks. I would posit that if you think that, then all basketball sucks. Because the only reason most people are watching college basketball is because of gambling. The level of play in the NCAA tournament looks no different than high level YMCA weekend warriors.

The NBA will do away with their requirement because of social pressure and the optics.
bobinator
AG
It's probably going to be somewhere in the middle of three (which I don't think anyone said so not sure who you're arguing against) and 50 and I don't think the college game will suffer much from it. There might be more than normal the first year but then it'll settle.

The college game will be fine.
PascalsWager
AG
bobinator said:

It's probably going to be somewhere in the middle of three (which I don't think anyone said so not sure who you're arguing against) and 50 and I don't think the college game will suffer much from it. There might be more than normal the first year but then it'll settle.

The college game will be fine.
You didn't make that claim here. I apologize for attributing that to you. Usually when people talk reference 2005, they do so to argue that only a few guys are going to declare like they used to. The situation has changed dramatically.

The specific number matters a lot. If it averages out to ~30 (and I think it'll be much more) guys declaring every year, that effectively excises college basketball from the "greater basketball universe". If its ~10, the game won't change much.
bobinator
AG
I don't think the number will be that high but even if it is I don't think any number excises college basketball. There are always going to be guys who aren't ready when high school is over that use college to develop.

Once players can make NIL money the college game will have more value than the G League for a lot of guys. And unless the NBA adds a bunch of teams there's still only so many roster spots to fill each year.

College basketball has some big picture issues it needs to figure out that are a lot more pressing than the NBA's minimum age. Like getting rid of all the charges.
wacarnolds
AG
PascalsWager said:

Once the NBA opens the floodgates, college basketball is going to have to beg players in the top 50 (maybe even top 100) to not declare right out of high school.

Quote:

Because the only reason most people are watching college basketball is because of gambling.

Quote:

At least the entire lottery in perpetuity will be 18 year old high schoolers.

Quote:

If it averages out to ~30 (and I think it'll be much more) guys declaring every year, that effectively excises college basketball from the "greater basketball universe".

I seen some **** on this board but my god these are some nuclear takes
wacarnolds
AG
Guys it's naive to think just 2-3 high schoolers will jump straight to the NBA every year. Smart people like me know it will be 30-50.
bobinator
AG
Everyone loves a "(change) will create (seismic shift)!" take.

Still waiting for the four super conferences.
Mikeyshooter
AG
wacarnolds said:

Guys it's naive to think just 2-3 high schoolers will jump straight to the NBA every year. Smart people like me know it will be 30-50.

Yeah. Guys are going to be signing up left and right to ride buses around the G-League for a couple years instead of playing on TV every game and making money thru NIL.

Guys are going to make 10x more money playing for a major college basketball team than the Tulsa Twisters.
wacarnolds
AG
Back to the topic of transfers... I wonder if this new environment will create a Bizarro Calipari who, instead of signing the 5 best one-and-done HS players he can find, signs 5 transfers every year and builds each team from scratch with proven college players.
bobinator
AG
I do think you'll see some teams emphasize high school recruiting a lot less, but having that many balls in the air to try and compete with just transfers seems extremely difficult.
wacarnolds
AG
The immediate eligibility rule passed today
wacarnolds
AG
Clarification added that this only applies to an athlete's 1st transfer. Any subsequent transfer will require a waiver to be immediately eligible. Doesn't apply to any of our current players/targets, but something to keep in mind down the road. With the transfer-crazy era upon us, 2nd and 3rd time transfers will become the norm.

LawHall88
AG
greg.w.h
AG
The waiver process is provably awful. Free the athletes.
Maroon Dawn
AG
This means programs like A&M will never keep good talent longer than their freshman year

We'll be a farm program for the rest of the Texas and national D1 schools that will poach all our best guys at the end of every freshman season. No need for them to take any risks on guys who only might be really good. Just let Buzz take the chance on them and if they're good, steal them away.

Might as well shut it down instead of being relegated to that
greg.w.h
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

This means programs like A&M will never keep good talent longer than their freshman year

We'll be a farm program for the rest of the Texas and national D1 schools that will poach all our best guys at the end of every freshman season. No need for them to take any risks on guys who only might be really good. Just let Buzz take the chance on them and if they're good, steal them away.

Might as well shut it down instead of being relegated to that
That's your solution to every problem.
EliteZags
AG
I like it, kinda like how Kentucky has become known to be an NBA factory, we'll become known as a transfer factory with a constant flow a 1 year transfer talent
wacarnolds
AG
wacarnolds said:

Back to the topic of transfers... I wonder if this new environment will create a Bizarro Calipari who, instead of signing the 5 best one-and-done HS players he can find, signs 5 transfers every year and builds each team from scratch with proven college players.

bobinator
AG
I'd love to know who it is rather than an anonymous coach.
Texas A&M
I love the transfer portal. I can't wait to root for our AAU team.
Wicked Good Ag
If you make it easy for the two time transfer to have immediate eligibility just blow up the whole thing. Start over if you so choose. I can understand one time transfers but if you give free reign twice or more it will be so ridiculous it isn't worth caring about getting to know the team.
bobinator
AG
Is anyone talking about that?
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

I'd love to know who it is rather than an anonymous coach.

Probably some coach that's full of it. Wouldn't surprise me to see some low-majors focus solely on the portal, but no way a "top 40" school goes cold turkey on HS recruits
bobinator
AG
Yeah I'm not really buying it.
Wicked Good Ag
bobinator said:

Is anyone talking about that?

Reading the Tweet by Rothstein

If we give possible immediate eligibility to second transfer the precedent is set for the future. And I can completely believe a top 25-40 coach wouldn't go for high school talent except for the one and some type player but you just have to offer the top 5-10 can't miss kid plus rest be transfers
greg.w.h
AG
i think it's amusing that in the two revenue sports that CLEARLY bring money in for colleges (and the men's Div I basketball tournament pays fully for the NCAA) that fans oppose all forms of liberty for the indentured servants.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.