NCAA on the verge of approving immediate eligibility for all 1st time transfers

4,114 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bobinator
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh I think he was referring to whether players that previously had to sit out will have have to sit out again if they transfer now or if they're going to get a waiver because they already had to sit out.

Not sure how many players that's really going to impact.
aggiebrad94
AG
wacarnolds said:

wacarnolds said:

Back to the topic of transfers... I wonder if this new environment will create a Bizarro Calipari who, instead of signing the 5 best one-and-done HS players he can find, signs 5 transfers every year and builds each team from scratch with proven college players.

You can slash your recruiting budget this way, too.
bobinator
AG
We'll see what happens in a few years, but my guess is that the transfer portal isn't going to be the landscape altering mega-event that some are making it out to be.

This year is an exception because a lot of people want fresh starts because of COVID, there's a class with an extra year of eligibility, and the immediate eligibility for first-time transfers.

I think trying to read this year too much to extrapolate a long-term view of how the transfer portal will impact college basketball is a mistake.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

We'll see what happens in a few years, but my guess is that the transfer portal isn't going to be the landscape altering mega-event that some are making it out to be.

This year is an exception because a lot of people want fresh starts because of COVID, there's a class with an extra year of eligibility, and the immediate eligibility for first-time transfers.

I think trying to read this year too much to extrapolate a long-term view of how the transfer portal will impact college basketball is a mistake.

I think the future will be closer to what we're seeing now than what we saw 5 years ago. The immediate eligibility is a huge game changer in a sport that typically does not redshirt players that are capable of playing. I'm sure sitting out a year was a major impediment to guys deciding to change schools, and with that gone, there won't be as much holding the more talented players back.
wacarnolds
AG
Coaches mad

greg.w.h
AG
Amazing.
bobinator
AG
I'm just not as sure. Maybe you're right.

But I still think there's marketability, and that's going to matter when the NIL changes come, to being the best player on a team that isn't a traditional power. I don't think it's necessarily going to be an 'everyone is the minor leagues the big boys' situation.

But we'll see.
bobinator
AG
This is also about a zero on the believe-ability scale for me.

I could see certain coaches not scheduling certain other coaches if those coaches have poached their players in the past. But I don't believe for a second that a mid-major is passing up a high level game because they're afraid of having their players poached.
LawHall88
AG
bobinator
AG

greg.w.h
AG
And hilarity ensues.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

This is also about a zero on the believe-ability scale for me.

I could see certain coaches not scheduling certain other coaches if those coaches have poached their players in the past. But I don't believe for a second that a mid-major is passing up a high level game because they're afraid of having their players poached.

It's nothing but whining. From the richest coaches in the nation (Dabo) to the guys lower on the ladder (these anonymous sources), they all turn into petulant little *****es when you propose taking an ounce of power away from them and give it to the players.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, it's just coaches complaining to Rothstein.

Once you understand that 100% of Rothstein's "reporting" is really "something a coach told me because he wanted me to tweet it out" then his feed makes sense.
Iowaggie
AG
bobinator said:

Here is how I have heard it is changing recruiting.
Top programs aren't recruiting the players which could be future starters, but are going to ride the bench for a year or two. For some programs, that might be players ranked 75-150, for others 150-300, whatever the level the program is because those players are going to end up transferring.

I think the days of recruiting 5 HS kids or 4 HS kids and a transfer are gone for those programs. It's get 2 HS kids that can play, and maybe 3 transfers.

That is going to push more of that talent into the mid-level, mid-major schools that previously didn't have those players come there. They will either get those kids out of HS because the top programs aren't offering like they used to, or they get them as transfers. Conversely, if they get them as hs players and they play right away, they may lose them, but if they do, they are losing some players they generally wouldn't have gotten anyways.

The recruiting for places like SMU or Arky St or Tulsa may need to change their sales pitch to, "Instead of sitting 2 years at Texas or Arkansas or OU, come here and play for 1-2 years, and you can pick where you go if you perform".

So i think it changes recruiting, but that doesn't mean it changes who the power teams and conferences are.
bobinator
AG
The NIL stuff is also a variable that we don't really know its long term impact yet.

For some players, maybe there's more value in staying at a school and being the star for a couple of years rather than moving to a big school?

We just don't know yet what that's going to look like.

It's another reason why I think we're just going to have to wait and see what the long term impacts really are. Right now it's like the wild west because of the COVID eligibility, one-time transfer, and NIL stuff all at the same time. Between schools, PR firms, brands, etc all trying to make headlines with various stunts and announcements you can't really tell what that market is actually going to look like.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.