Buzz's World: Texas A&M expects to make more shots, make a leap in Year 2

3,897 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DukeMu
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://theathletic.com/1918028/2020/07/10/buzzs-world-texas-am-expects-to-make-more-shots-make-a-leap-in-year-2/

Quote:

So the key is whether returners improve offensively, the newcomers are able to make an impact and the Aggies make some shots. Even if they are a middle-of-the-road SEC offense, that could be an NCAA Tournament team, no?

It might be early to expect a deep tourney run, but projecting the Aggies as a bubble team seems practical. And if they hit their ceiling and stay ahead of where Virginia Tech was at the same time in Williams' tenure there, then that's an NCAA Tournament team.
LawHall88
AG
I may have liked this excerpt better:
Quote:

Every day was Groundhog Day for Texas A&M guard Quenton Jackson for the first few months of last season. Coach Buzz Williams kept telling him, "Hey, I beat you today." Repeatedly. "With a lot of profanity," Williams adds. Jackson had no idea what that meant. Then finally, sometime after returning from the Orlando Invitational last fall, it clicked. Williams meant he had beaten Jackson to the gym.

"So he got more work in than I did and I was still sleeping," Jackson explains. "So I guess the moral of the story is make the best out of the time you have. Everybody's got the same 24 hours. What are you going to do with yours?"

bobinator
AG
The part about Flagg got me pretty hyped for this season.
Method Man
Heard Flagg was working on his dunk shot and finger tip roll.
MarcAg
AG
Looking forward to seeing that Jackson/McNeilly combo.
aggiejohn
AG
I hope we can have a season...
Hop
Staff
AG
I liked the detail of the article and give it two thumbs-up, but I do take exception with his assumption that A&M could be limited by youth.

Yes, there are eight underclassmen (two who were starters/major contributors last year), but there are four quality seniors on the roster with three projected seniors in the starting lineup. The fourth will be a significant sixth man off the bench. Granted, there's not much experienced depth, but if Flagg, Marfo, and Jackson avoid significant injuries, A&M will be one of the most experienced teams outside of Tennessee in the SEC.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, the youth thing only matters because they don't get the same preseason they normally would due to everything going on, but everyone is going to be dealing with that.
Method Man
mazag08
AG
Flagg becoming more assertive, better at handling the ball (limiting turnovers and flubbed passes and dribbles off the foot), and better at finishing is the difference between a bubble team and a lock.
BrandoC
AG
Here is my deal. Good shooting teams have recruited good/great HS shooters that come in right away can shoot consistently. Shooting is one of those things you either got or you don't. Yes you can bring in kids and tweek mechanics to help them better their shooting but nothing compared to just being born with great shooting ability. Saying that we may have 2 shooters on team and the rest Buzz has had to help teach them how to shoot better.
bobinator
AG

Quote:

Shooting is one of those things you either got or you don't. Yes you can bring in kids and tweek mechanics to help them better their shooting but nothing compared to just being born with great shooting ability.

I super disagree with this statement. There's plenty of guys that ended up good shooters in college that weren't particularly good at it at first.

The best player in school history is a good example.

Acie shot 21% from beyond the arc his freshman year and 46% his senior year.

It's not just the mechanics that a good coach can teach, but it's also knowing when to shoot it, where on the floor to shoot it, how to create space in the offense, etc.

Obviously I agree that it would be nice if you could recruit a bunch of JJ Reddicks who come in ready and able to catch and fire, but a good coach can make a huge difference in a players ability to shoot.
wacarnolds
AG
You can teach guys to be better shooters, or create a system that makes bad shooters look like good shooters, but a ton of college coaches seem to suck at those tasks, which makes it seem like a thing you can't do successfully.
Hop
Staff
AG
BrandoC said:

Here is my deal. Good shooting teams have recruited good/great HS shooters that come in right away can shoot consistently. Shooting is one of those things you either got or you don't. Yes you can bring in kids and tweek mechanics to help them better their shooting but nothing compared to just being born with great shooting ability. Saying that we may have 2 shooters on team and the rest Buzz has had to help teach them how to shoot better.

Alex Caruso shatters your theory. Kid couldn't hit the side of a barn and had the worst looking shot of any D-1 player I've seen as an underclassmen. In 2018-2019, he shot 48% from the NBA 3- point line.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Spurs taught Kawhi how to shoot. Kawhi wasn't anywhere close to the shooter he is today, when he first entered the league.
expresswrittenconsent
Great to know we can recruit non shooters like Caruso and Kawhi and that they will be awesome shooters 2 yrs after they are done with college. Very encouraging sign for AGGIEHOOPS (the future TBT team), but not real encouraging for Aggie Hoops here in Texas.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Spurs taught Kawhi how to shoot. Kawhi wasn't anywhere close to the shooter he is today, when he first entered the league.
Came to say this. It astounds me that bad shooters stay bad, if you work on it enough you should see marginal improvement at the very least. Especially as an NBA player, that's literally your job. Although, practice shooting much much much different than in game.
halfastros81
AG
another ddp
halfastros81
AG
Isn't the incoming recruit from Oklahoma ( Robinson) considered to be a very good 3 pt shooter? I know there's a chance it won't translate to this level but I thought that was a significant part of his arsenal.
LawHall88
AG
DukeMu
Hop said:

BrandoC said:

Alex Caruso shatters your theory. Kid couldn't hit the side of a barn and had the worst looking shot of any D-1 player I've seen as an underclassmen. In 2018-2019, he shot 48% from the NBA 3- point line.
Caruso became a triple threat with practice and hard work. That's why he has a multiyear contract with the Lakes and is in the rotation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.