Reuben Fatheree - basketball

5,638 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aston04
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Except he's not as tall as Tyler Davis. From those quick highlights he looks to have nice touch, good feet and a good feel for the game though. The biggest concern as a hoops prospect is just his height/weight. It's hard to essentially be a two-dimensional paint player at 6-8.

If the kid can do it, awesome, I love two sport athletes, I just think it's extremely unlikely he could do it.
I'm not arguing that he can play both in college. Several of you asked if he was a legitimate basketball prospect, and I think his ranking and his video suggests that he is a legitimate prospect if he were to focus on hoops...but he's not. He's a very good basketball prospect, but he's an elite football prospect.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, the game is getting so spread out that it's easier to be shorter in the paint, but the tradeoff is you need to be quicker up and down the floor and side to side than you used to.
Method Man
What exactly is happening to taller players? Are they just going into engineering instead of playing b-ball?
expresswrittenconsent
Coaches stopped wasting spots on 6 10+ stiffs with no skills. Talented bigs are always snapped up quickly by the top schools and the nba but now sometimes they still look like sabonis Jr or ayton but sometimes they look like Durant or Zion. Bigs always wanted to shoot 3s. Now that they are allowed to, the game has removed the unskilled bigs - sort of like the FB in football.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I think the main thing is just the rise of the three point shot.

As more and more people shoot more and more threes, there isn't as much defensive value in a guy that's tall but can't hold his ground or move well and there isn't as much offensive value in guys that can get shots in the paint unless they're extremely good at them.

So you either need to be able to shoot from distance or absolutely dominate in the paint.

The next level of it is guys that are 6-8, 6-9 used to be power forwards or centers and play in the paint, but now those guys from a young age are shooting threes and handling the ball and I think are generally more skilled than they used to be so they're harder to guard for your classic big man.

And getting into a little bit of complete speculation, I'd guess that most players are more athletic than they used to be which helps narrow the gap when going up for rebounds.
Method Man
Yes but what are the stiffs doing?
MarcAg
AG
Method Man said:

Yes but what are the stiffs doing?
Pro wrestling.
bobinator
AG
Quidditch
mikesyracuse1
bobinator said:

Did he play both at WKU?

Fant started four years in basketball at WKU. Then he used his 5th year of eligibility to play tight end on the WKU football team. He didn't play much but learned the game behind TE Tyler Higbee.

He just signed a 30 million dollar contract with the Jets.

Mike Syracuse1
Slamn Sharpe
Football is my wife and basketball is my mistress. Right now my wife be trip'n
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Imagine Zion as a Tight End. Wow
bobinator
AG
Nebo could have been a good football player.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Agree with Bobinator here, that kid needs to continue the bulk progression he's on and become a monster left tackle. He has NFL potential because of his frame, playing basketball is going to harm that chance. Doubt he has any NBA potential although he'd probably make a good D1 big man if he focused on basketball only.

That being said, being a two sport athlete in high school is one of the best things you can do. His footwork as a lineman is only being benefited by playing a post position in basketball.
expresswrittenconsent
Suddenly we're all NFL OL future prospect experts.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
While I only played lineman through high school, it doesn't take a genius to say someone who's 6'8" and 300+lbs with a lot of muscle has a better chance of being an NFL lineman than 99% of the population.
94chem
expresswrittenconsent said:

I remember watching Julius Peppers play hoops for Carolina. But this kid is already taller/heavier, and is playing OL where he will presumably add more bulk.

I sure as hell wouldnt want to play against him and 4 other football players at the rec, though.

Julius Peppers was a significant contributor on a Final 4 team. He is also one of the greatest players in the history of the NFL. An absolute freak.
Aston04
AG
Hop said:

bobinator said:

Except he's not as tall as Tyler Davis. From those quick highlights he looks to have nice touch, good feet and a good feel for the game though. The biggest concern as a hoops prospect is just his height/weight. It's hard to essentially be a two-dimensional paint player at 6-8.

If the kid can do it, awesome, I love two sport athletes, I just think it's extremely unlikely he could do it.
I'm not arguing that he can play both in college. Several of you asked if he was a legitimate basketball prospect, and I think his ranking and his video suggests that he is a legitimate prospect if he were to focus on hoops...but he's not. He's a very good basketball prospect, but he's an elite football prospect.
Hop makes a good point. The point is he is a legitimate basketball prospect- not just blowing smoke to sign him for football. Obviously it's not going to be easy for him to play both at this level- but I'd like to see him on Buzz's bench.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.