How many wins will it take for an NIT bid?

13,202 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dcaggie04
txag72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I think we have to basically win 3 of 4, but it's still hard to say for sure. Our non-con metrics are just absolutely horrid and we still haven't beaten anyone particularly good.
We've probably won a couple against teams that will be in the NIT.
Brock Sampson
AG
At this point I just assume we will win the SEC tournament.
gig them
AG
You guys remember the 1,100-toilet stress test they put on Globe Life Park last week? https://www.sportzet.com/2020/02/19/texas-rangers-super-flush-arlington-students-flush-every-toilet/

We're basically putting the same stress test on the "we prioritize how you look at the end of the season" rule for postseason hoops. Like, you can make this rule if you want, but I bet you didn't expect someone to start 3-5 before waltzing into late February in the top half of a major conference.

I'm not sure they've dealt with something like this before.
expresswrittenconsent
gig them said:

You guys remember the 1,100-toilet stress test they put on Globe Life Park last week? https://www.sportzet.com/2020/02/19/texas-rangers-super-flush-arlington-students-flush-every-toilet/

We're basically putting the same stress test on the "we prioritize how you look at the end of the season" rule for postseason hoops. Like, you can make this rule if you want, but I bet you didn't expect someone to start 3-5 before waltzing into late February in the top half of a major conference.

I'm not sure they've dealt with something like this before.

So our season is like if all 1100 rangers fans took a dump at the same time?
gig them
AG
For the first eight games, that's exactly what I'm saying
bobinator
AG
That's a very weird analogy.
BeeringAintEasy
AG
So if we beat Arky and win one game in the SEC tourney, that feels like we would get NIT consideration. Amirite?
CapCityAg89
AG
Oakland Ag said:

So if we beat Arky and win one game in the SEC tourney, that feels like we would get NIT consideration. Amirite?

I think we're in if that happens. The number is 2. Even if we lose to Arkie if we win two in the tourney I think we're in now.
txag72
AG
If we beat Arky, we'll have a winning conference record. Hopefully that would be enough.
bobinator
AG
I think we need a lot to break our way unless we like make the tournament finals
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I think we need a lot to break our way unless we like make the tournament finals

If we beat Arkansas, then it looks likely we'd play them again in the first game of the SECT as a 7 vs 10 matchup.

I think they need to win three more straight games from here: beat Arky in Reed, beat Arky again in SECT, then beat the 2-seed Auburn. That might do it to get NIT bid. that is going to be tough to pull off, but possible. First things first, Arky in Reed.
fatdad84ag
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

If we beat Arkansas, then it looks likely we'd play them again in the first game of the SECT as a 7 vs 10 matchup.

I think they need to win three more straight games from here: beat Arky in Reed, beat Arky again in SECT, then beat the 2-seed Auburn. That might do it to get NIT bid. that is going to be tough to pull off, but possible. First things first, Arky in Reed.

They pull that off, then I think they would have a decent chance of getting NIT bid.
Florida, Auburn and LSU all tied for 2nd now so Saturday games now mean something for seeding!
bobinator
AG
Yeah, we need a big bubble also. If there are 16 auto bids like a few years ago that won't help.
_lefraud_
AG
I think the NCAA would love having Buzz in the NIT, so I'm not sure things have to get too crazy. Hell, bracketology has okie state in as a 3 seed who is currently sporting a 5-11 conference record...
phorizt
just for reference some teams that made the NIT last year:

Indiana 17-15 (8-12)
Arkansas 17-15 (8-10)
Butler 16-16 (7-11)
Texas 16-16 (8-10)
Nebraska 18-16 (6-14)

Conference records in parenthesis

Adam87inSA
AG
Beat Arky. Then we are a 10-8 SEC team.

If we so much as win a single SECT game, would the NIT really leave home a 10-8 SEC team with 17-15 overall record?
dcaggie04
AG
They have a NET ranking in the low 70s. If we can get our net in the 80 range, I'd be more inclined to think we'd get an NIT spot. If it stays over 100, it will be highly unlikely.
dcaggie04
AG
It will definitely be a test of how the NIT handles NET rankings of eligible teams.
Adam87inSA
AG
F NET
bobinator
AG
I think they'd like a reason to put us in also but smaller conference teams would lose their minds if a team with a NET of like 100 makes it.

We'll know a little more tomorrow when we see the updated ratings after this win.
CapCityAg89
AG
Thin NIT bubble but I think if we win 2 more we're in. Either Arkie plus 1-1 or 2-1 in the SECT.
Muy
AG
We are in the NIT, tonight sealed that.
Method Man
Is NET A forced acronym?
dcaggie04
AG
It's easier to say than NCAA Evaluation Tool.
Method Man
dcaggie04 said:

It's easier to say than NCAA Evaluation Tool.

Nah man I'm just wondering if the acronym had to spell something basketball related.
BSM
Won at Tennessee; won at Alabama; and won at auburn. All impressive wins. Beat Arkansas and.we will have a strong case for the NIT at 10-8 in conference.
Faustus
Muy said:

We are in the NIT, tonight sealed that.

No need to win another game (with at least two remaining), A&M could be the first ever team invited to the NIT with a losing record?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article227902444.html

Hopefully it won't be put to the test, but I'd say there's still work to do and nothing was sealed.
dcaggie04
AG
You are not eligible for the NIT if you have a losing record.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.