I guess Buzz gets a free pass but

12,303 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by old yeller
oklacityag75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieHoopsGuy said:

Savion Flagg, our best player, would be the third or fourth option on offense on a good team. Buzz isn't working with much. It is going to take some time.

When Gilder left and would not give staying a split second thought, that said all we need to know about the locker room of The Aggie Basketball team. He wasn't going to stay around a group that was really bad.

This will be a complete rebuild. Buzz will get it done
MidTnAg
AG
Buzz will not be able to recruit a bunch of four star players to Aggieland quickly. We are not known as a big basketball school. We are a football school. It will definitely take him time to change the narrative and be able to recruit better basketball players.

Every new coach deserves four full years. Buzz deserves four years. Leave him alone.
Know Your Enemy
AG
He just signed two 4 star players last week.
_lefraud_
AG
MidTnAg said:

Buzz will not be able to recruit a bunch of four star players to Aggieland quickly. We are not known as a big basketball school. We are a football school. It will definitely take him time to change the narrative and be able to recruit better basketball players.

Every new coach deserves four full years. Buzz deserves four years. Leave him alone.

A&M hasn't played in a legit bowl in 20 years...some football school.

Georgia has signed some absolutely studs in basketball, and they are 10x the football school A&M is.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Oh, 4 of the guys he brought in for this current team were 4 stars too.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm not giving Buzz a pass. But I am giving him time while watching games and observing and discussing here. I think our current players will agree to being molded further, but realistically that might not be enough. And we do not know the extent to which they will "subvocalize" and do rather than think, when, and whether with the talent we have if there is the commitment to the personal responsibility for doing everything else to personally prepare to win.

They can do it all right and still lack the extra something to win. We will only find out if the coach is that extra something with time. But he has shown the ability with schools in better basketball conferences to get it done. We don't even know if the SEC's strategy of elevating basketball will work for the conference or if the fans will follow.

But time will tell. And the likelihood Buzz leaves on his own is much higher than the likelihood we pay his buyout after the first year...
Scotty Appleton
_lefraud_ said:

MidTnAg said:

A&M hasn't played in a legit bowl in 20 years...some football school.

Georgia has signed some absolutely studs in basketball, and they are 10x the football school A&M is.

Cotton Bowl 3 times and the Peach Bowl once off the top of my head...
_lefraud_
AG
BCS and/or a New Years 6 bowl is what I constitute as a "legit bowl" especially for a so-called "football school"...A&M hasn't done that since the '99 Sugar Bowl...
Scotty Appleton
_lefraud_ said:

BCS and/or a New Years 6 bowl is what I constitute as a "legit bowl" especially for a so-called "football school"...A&M hasn't done that since the '99 Sugar Bowl...

Uh, both of those bowl games ARE part of the NY6 genius and the Ags would have been part of the NY6 in those years.
_lefraud_
AG
From 1999 - 2013, the only season A&M sniffed the BCS was 2012, but still fail short. Since the CFP started, A&M hasn't sniffed making the NE6. I'd list the schools that A&M is in company with in that same span, but it's rather embarrassing...especially for a "football school".
rje394
AG
If anyone thinks you can have a National Championship caliber team with players that can't take coaching, think they are above following team rules, aren't team players, and have attitudes that are disruptive to team unity, you're wrong. I'm thankful we are getting coaches in our major sports that are not allowing individuals to be more important than the team.....no matter how many stars they have in front of their name! If we want a National Championship, we need National Championship type players. I say clean house, Texas A&M University and Texas A&M sports will be better for it in the long run!
Proposition Joe
Ironically our most successful football season in the last 30 years was done with a player just like that.

Part of coaching is being able to handle players like that. Billy Gillispie found out real quick at Kentucky the "buy in or hit the road" approach doesn't work everywhere.
rje394
AG
Neither our best football season in 30 years nor Billy Gillispie even sniffed a National Championship.
Proposition Joe
Joe Mixon, Jameis Winston and Cam Newton and Grayson Allen all say hello.

You can have a national championship caliber team with players that don't follow the rules. The whole "we only want players who play the game the right way" is typically the battle cry of teams that aren't able to get to national prominence.
rje394
AG
The coaches of those players know how to handle their demeanor. It takes special coaching talent to keep
players like that from ruining a team. Some coaches aren't strong enough to do it and some choose not to try to do it. For every one player that fits your argument, there are hundreds that hold teams together despite the few individual cancers.
Proposition Joe
rje394 said:

The coaches of those players know how to handle their demeanor. It takes special coaching talent to keep
players like that from ruining a team. Some coaches aren't strong enough to do it and some choose not to try to do it. For every one player that fits your argument, there are hundreds that hold teams together despite the few individual cancers.

Agreed.
PatAg
AG
rje394 said:

Neither our best football season in 30 years nor Billy Gillispie even sniffed a National Championship.
I'd say when we got hosed against Memphis, that team had the quality to win it all..
Player To Be Named Later
AG
It's pretty clear a lot of people were just sticking their head in the sand regarding how badly Kennedy was driving this ship into the ground the last year or 2 from a recruiting perspective.

What is happening this year really should surprise nobody.
Wicked Good Ag
Player To Be Named Later said:

It's pretty clear a lot of people were just sticking their head in the sand regarding how badly Kennedy was driving this ship into the ground the last year or 2 from a recruiting perspective.

Umm what ??
Method Man
PatAg said:

rje394 said:

I'd say when we got hosed against Memphis, that team had the quality to win it all..

Too soon
Aston04
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Player To Be Named Later said:

Umm what ??
Once the BK strategy shifted to add one year transfers and go all in on turd pgs & a walkon... Wasn't building a program long term.
old yeller
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I live in Blacksburg. Every Hokie would laugh at this thread. Relax. Buzz will get us there.
Consider the source (OP)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.