Realistic Expectations for the season?

11,276 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SECTAMU#1
Bobcat-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are the realistic expectations for this upcoming basketball season? Should we expect to go to the tournament? Should we at least slot into the NIT? I am not really sure and don't know enough to even hazard a guess.

I was hoping to get the opinion of the basketball minds here since you know way more than I do about it.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Realistic?

This is the zoo.

If you want realistic, you'll have to go to a different website.
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
Bobcat-Ag
Ok, give me your unrealistic expectation then.
Tobias Funke
AG
i expect to make the NIT. i expect to float around .500 in conference play. I will be ecstatic if we make the dance in Buzz's first year.
bobinator
AG
Tobias Funke said:

i expect to make the NIT. i expect to float around .500 in conference play. I will be ecstatic if we make the dance in Buzz's first year.
This is where I'm at, with the usual 'as long as everyone stays healthy' caveat.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Seems like Buzz will have a deeper and overall more talented roster than Kennedy was working with last season (Gilder out the entire year and then didn't even have Starks for the last 3 regular season games), and Buzz is a more accomplished coach. The coaching staff is also like 90% of the staff that was at Virginia Tech last year - so even though the players are all new, the coaching staff itself is very experienced with each other.

Kenned went 6-10 last season and we were very competitive in a handful of the losses. With the usual 'if no significant injuries and assuming the inherited players buy-in with the new coach' disclaimer - I'm moderately optimistic that we can be a .500 (9-9) sort of SEC team. I don't see any glaring reason why we cannot be 2-3 conference wins better than last year.

The highest ceiling scenario IMO is we pull off what Ole Miss pulled off last season, going from a predicted cellar dweller to a 10-8 SEC team and NCAA tournament bid (losing in first round) - due to an immediate culture rejuvenation with an experienced new coach (Kermit Davis) in his Year 1 who actually inherited a few talented players who were hungry to win.
halfastros81
AG
What Pumpkinhead said above.

Around .500 in conference. Win a couple
More than we lose in conference and will be on the bubble. More likely NIT bound.

What I hope to see is better coaching gets more out of the players than we have seen . I think Buzz and staff are all about teaching teamwork and getting the most out of what you have.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think we can make a run at the dance as long as we don't have too many major injuries.
greg.w.h
AG
I expect us to play tough, guard-oriented offense and defense and to win all the games we should win and a couple we don't expect to win. I expect the hustle and the visible leadership from every player to be evident and to result in growing confidence as the season progresses.

I would like for us to exceed .500 in conference but what I mostly want is to see the other teams constantly making adjustments to repair their game plans because they're tracking under 60 points.

And I also believe we will see our team all over all the 50-50 plays and demoralizing opponents with steals and transition offense.

That's about as unrealistic as I can get right now.
expresswrittenconsent
I'll be mildly disappointed if we dont make the dance this year, but the expectation is never going to be just making the NIT. Nobody plans to go to the ****ty NIT, you just end up there after a series of disappointments, sort of like community college or jail.
DukeMu
_lefraud_
AG
Agreed. I expect to make the dance this season, as I do every season. 68 teams make it, but only about 10 schools are paying their coach what Buzz is making.
TyperWoods
In the discussion for making the NCAA Tourney.
EliteZags
AG
I'll be happy as long as everyone just has fun
Know Your Enemy
AG
EliteZags said:

I'll be happy as long as everyone just has fun
txag72
AG
I didn't think the NIT discussion would end well.
iluvpoker
If Buzz>>>>Bk then sec top 4 and S16
If Buzz>>Bk then make the dance maybe top 32
If Buzz=Bk then 8-10 and Nit
If Buzz<<Bk then 6-12 break out the pots
Know Your Enemy
expresswrittenconsent
iluvpoker said:

If Buzz>>>>Bk then sec top 4 and S16
If Buzz>>Bk then make the dance maybe top 32
If Buzz=Bk then 8-10 and Nit
If Buzz<<Bk then 6-12 break out the pots

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY TO EXECUTE THIS PROGRAM. IT JUST FRIED MY MOTHERBOARD.
Proposition Joe
This is a bubble team.

Few things go our way, we're in the dance. Few things don't, we're in the NIT.
Topher17
AG
Proposition Joe said:

This is a bubble team.

Few things go our way, we're in the dance. Few things don't, we're in the NIT.

Similar to what others have said, barring injuries this is where I'm at. I'm worried about our post depth, so we are going to have to shoot it well from outside which has been an issue in the past. I think we'll be a few games better than last year.
Expert Analysis
AG
I think it depends if any of the new guys can have an impact. We kinda know what we got with the returning players. I think we can easily be a bubble team with the returning players. We need the new guys to fight for starting roles and quality minutes. If 2 or 3 can be effective and give us a solid 8 man rotation, then we should make the dance.
GE
AG
S16 or fire Kennedy. Tired of the underachieving.
greg.w.h
AG
GE said:

S16 or fire Kennedy. Tired of the underachieving.
Man...what's BK gotta do to get a break?
mazag08
AG
I think we make the final four

as in.. the last four to make the dance.. 12 seed territory.
Callate Donnie
Deep in NIT or make tourney. Not UNrealistic.
game
It is unrealistic to b talking njcaa/nit, give him a couple Yrs and he will get it done. Guaranteed.
game
game
It is unrealistic to b talking njcaa/nit, give him a couple Yrs and he will get it done. Guaranteed.
game
mazag08
AG
My expectations are pretty grounded..

If you're on the court, you give max effort.
I want to see solid defense and a game plan that takes away the opponents biggest strength.
I want to see Starks under control but still making plays when they are there.
I want to see Flag be consistently good night in and night out.
I want to see improvement from game to game, no backtracking and getting blown out by a mediocre team after playing a great team close.
I want to see an offense than can score in multiple ways and keep teams off balance.

For the season, I'm expecting a .500 conference team that is playing its best down the stretch with a chance to make a run at the tourney.
Ag_EE_88
AG
My expectations are that we come out in most every game playing with energy. To see the team play like they know how to play basketball and are being coached. Less standing around than we've had. I'd like to see the team get some easy looks at the basket and make the shots.

Don't know what record to expect but at the minimum, NIT. Over the past few years it's been obvious that if you can't at least make the NIT, you need a new coach. I think we are on the bubble at least if we find a couple of guys who can consistently hit a 3.
TopoTacos
AG
Behind Flagg and Mitchell, I think we've got a good mix of vets and incoming talent. If some of the young guys are as good as advertised, especially Mcneilly, we could be in the conversation to go dancing. I think we probably make the NIT and win a couple games there, which would be great in my book, especially if Nebo is out for most of the year.
SECTAMU#1
My realistic expectations are that the team's regular season record probably should be 14 - 16, but Buzz will coach them up and win three games more than we probably should, therefore, giving us a regular season record of 17 - 13, but no NCAA tournament.
Tavares19
AG
SECTAMU#1 said:

My realistic expectations are that the team's regular season record probably should be 14 - 16, but Buzz will coach them up and win three games more than we probably should, therefore, giving us a regular season record of 17 - 13, but no NCAA tournament.
We won 14 games last year with a very young team that had limited depth without Buzz as head coach. If we come even close to that barring massive injuries (Hopefully Nebo's isn't too serious) it would be a massively disappointing year imo. With the entire core of the team back, expectations should be more like 18-12 and on the bubble, with hopes of a 20 win season. This team has talent
EXCELL
I don't think we are as talented as last season.
But we will be much better coached, particularly in in-game coaching.

How will that balance out? Dunno.
I think we end up about the same as last season with less overall talent.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I guess I'm forgetful in my old age. What stellar talent did we lose from last year besides Mek?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.